Domestic Package from USPS ripped open and retaped

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So, last Friday I decided to take advantage of TW's 20% off sale and bought 30 801 atty's. The price was too hard to pass up, and I didn't even have to worry about delays in customs. I got shipping notification on the 24th stating that electronic information was received. I had emailed TW to see if the package had even left their shop yet, and Nikki told me it had, and provided me with an update. Then I checked the tracking and saw this:

bullet_circle.gif
Delivered, August 27, 2009, 2:10 pm, **********, MN *****
bullet_circle.gif
Arrival at Unit, August 27, 2009, 5:29 am, **********, MN *****
bullet_circle.gif
Electronic Shipping Info Received, August 24, 2009

I received my package yesterday, it was in a USPS flat rate envelope. The package looked like it had been ripped open from the middle of the envelope and torn in several places, almost like it had been "checked", then it was retaped. I did mention to TW that they should be packaging these items in a flate rate box, it's the same shipping price is my understanding, and would offer more protection.

Anyone else ever ran into this??

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
Good grief! The postal service is getting worse and worse as they cut back. I'd contact the postal inspector and submit a formal complaint. A PITA yes, but it might be worthwhile. On an unrelated note - I hate Customs under Homeland Security. I just finally got a package from China - two weeks in customs. They cut open three of four sides to peel back the box top and only taped up one of the sides. Lazy POSs. The box was practically hanging open and all bags inside had been ripped open!

jennyhadadot

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
It probably just got jammed in a sorting machine and they taped it back up and delivered it. I don't think anyone at the post office is tampering with it unless they don't mind being prosecuted for a federal offense.

Chances are, you're right. I work for UPS and this happens all the time...it's actually my job to retape, repack this stuff. But if you don't think there is tampering going on...trust me....there IS. I know we're different then the post office but people are people and you would all be AMAZED as to what goes on with your packages!

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
It happened to me two days ago. Nothing missing though.

Odd. I've never had a problem and then last week three flat rate deliveries fell off of radar for a couple of days and re-emerged missing parts. If it happens again I'd be hard pressed to say coincidence, but considering it WOULD be a federal offense I can't jump to the conclusion it was tampering.

...of course it wouldn't be the first time postal employees were accused of messing with mail. It's generally birthday cards or obvious cash-in-the-mail envelopes.

I wonder how the Cash4Gold folks get theirs through? If ever there was a dangling carrot...

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I checked my atty packs and nothing was missing. Perhaps it could have been torn by some sort of USPS sorting device, but really, it's hard to say.

Decide for yourself, it looks like it got jammed, but wow, a lot of rips here, I would think a jam would have been 1 nice rip across it.

ripped-package_front.jpg

ripped-package_back-corner.jpg

SSRob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
Oklahoma! USA
www.vaporkings.com
We use only boxes for new orders and bubble lined envelopes for replacements. Too much banging around inside those envelopes. I cut back on taping the crap out of the boxes and finally had one package arrive missing some stuff. We went back to taping the crap out of them again. Haven't had any items damaged or missing other than that one box... I did have a customer in WA that said his package looked like a used hockey puck but it didn't bust open and nothing was broken.

I order from other suppliers occasionally and am often shocked how things show up at my doorstep. Kit boxes crushed, packing lists just about wadded up into balls, etc.

I was waiting too long for an order and emailed the seller as to when they would ship. They responded in minutes saying that it had been sitting at my post office since August 8th! Which was strange because I had been in my post office 3 days before to sign for a Heaven Gifts shipment and they didn't say anything. The seller sent me the tracking number.

I've since called my post office twice starting last Friday and twice they took my complaint and number but never called back.

The first person said that sometimes packages are on the manifest but not actually in the shipment and that I should contact the seller and have them send another "free of charge".

So the PO lost the package and the supplier should just go ahead and send me 10 more atomizers "just because".

I'm going down there in person tomorrow.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I checked my atty packs and nothing was missing. Perhaps it could have been torn by some sort of USPS sorting device, but really, it's hard to say.

Decide for yourself, it looks like it got jammed, but wow, a lot of rips here, I would think a jam would have been 1 nice rip across it.

ripped-package_front.jpg

ripped-package_back-corner.jpg

i got a magazine in the mail once that looked just like this, totally unreadable. I always wondered what in the world happened to the darn thing

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I think the first mistake was they used one of these envelopes. None of the atty packs were bubble wrapped, they were just put in the envelope with the invoice, nothing else. $150 dollars worth of equipment could have been damaged pretty good, glad these were made out of metal and fairly strong lol.

Interesting that I'm reading all of these posts from consumers and suppliers talking about missing product, makes me rethink my shipping.

So far I've received at least 12 different e-cig related packaged, each of them packaged in different ways. This was the only time I had anything arrive with any sort of damage to the packaging.

jennyhadadot

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Looking at the pictures, I'd say it looked like it was caught in some equipment. It's easy to tell a pilfered cardboard envelope, it's usually a clean tear...this envelope was mangled. But that's not to say that someones hands actually went in the package to see what the contents were. Most times theft in delivery companies are driven by opportunity. Contents containing e-cig equipment isn't worth the risk...now...if a video game, cellphone, or jewelry fell out...well, you would be getting an empty envelope!

h8isgr8

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Those flatrate envelopes are junk. If you put any hard, odd shaped items inside they are almost guaranteed to get ripped.

For those paranoid about their mail being intentionally opened at the post office, it is a federal crime for even the post office to open your mail without cause. It is against their policy because it is considered a civil rights violation to censor mail based on it's contents.

Last edited:

lashmn

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
SW FL (Naples)
I just received an order for a PCC and some spare parts in a Priority Mail Box. It had definitely been opened either intentionally or by accident. It had not been taped and in the FL heat the glue is not going to hold on those flimsy boxes. The small bag of supplies was there but the PCC and its contents were MIA. Fortunately, the vendor sent another PCC immediately. That box was also open when received but the PCC had not been "lost" in transit.

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread