SFY Plug - Inspired by ZFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swipple

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Salt Lake City
so is this way with the full plug better than whats being sold that is like half plug and straw that goes inside? I believe scottyballs is selling it? And what I can't understand with this is, doesn't the atomizer just flood and flood if the liquidis basically just pouring on it?

oh, has anyone found this putty suff at any other stores?

I found it at Michaels Arts and Craft stores, by the plaster of paris

JamBone

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Illinois
Here is a link for tubing if anyone wants. It is better than what I have..like .010" smaller OD.
MSC is a great company...I used to order all the machine shop supplies where I worked...fast shipping. McMaster-Carr also carries it and they both have the silica glass for attys. Both are great companies.

MSC Item Detail

Browse the MSC Big Book

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

Thanks for the link bud, I just ordered 8ft of it, the shipping was a little high but i didnt want to drive all over gods green earth to find it.

Oh and the tube does work really well so far, didnt have any atm so I used the same as the other guy used(20gage wire coating) :) will work till the other stuff gets here!!;)

EDIT: it has been a few hours and I am on the same cart/plug with the tube/20gage wite coating as a temp) works very well. I didnt puch my size #9 all the way through the mold I wanted to keep the hole the same size as my #9 im using and then used a paper air hole. The 20 gage wire coating fir over the paper clip I was using and helped a lot with getting it in after I baked it at 350 for 20 minutes to cure. I didnt try the wire mesh, but might try it who knows. The plud that ego prsented along with nicotimes tube addition this is one great mod. Hats off to the both of you guys and all the other modders in this forum. I just ran across the modders forum not to long ago and I love it, I have made my first mod but havent finished it yet, just waiting on some bottles to get here. Thanks again for all the time and genius you guys put behind the stuff you create, its helps newbies like us stay off the what brought us here!!!

JamBone

Last edited:

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
how are you getting the hole centered? I made one, tried it, I think the whole is off center, it leaked bad though.

Do I need the air hole? I used center hole and airhole.

Eyeball the center. Air hole not absolutely necessary I guess since it depends on the atty.

If there is still enough interest in this I guess I could make a video now that I have a camera with the capability, but page 24 pretty much explains everything.

JamBone

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Illinois
can you make some for a fee? I just read your page on how you do it, thats way too complicated for me, doing it the way it was originally done is hard enough.

At first it may seem a little hard to do and I messed up my first two pretty bad, but then I only push the #9 star bit I had to the end of the bit and not all the way through, just to the before it bows out to the socket insert part(hope that makes sense) then pushed paper clip all the way through and let cured then baked to cure for 20 minutes. slice it down to a decent size not real thick and put your tube in and your in business. Hope that helps, it worked for me and is still working pretty darn good.

JamBone

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
i made two so far, not having the best luck, for one, they end up un even on top when I put the torx bit through and poke the hole with the paperclip. do you put the torx bit through and pull it out or do you leave it in and let it cure with it in there?

the second one I made, the center hole wasn't all the way through so I sliced it down like the scotty balls product and put a straw in. unfortunately, that proceeded to make a flooded mess. not sure what i'm doing wrong.

At first it may seem a little hard to do and I messed up my first two pretty bad, but then I only push the #9 star bit I had to the end of the bit and not all the way through, just to the before it bows out to the socket insert part(hope that makes sense) then pushed paper clip all the way through and let cured then baked to cure for 20 minutes. slice it down to a decent size not real thick and put your tube in and your in business. Hope that helps, it worked for me and is still working pretty darn good.

JamBone

yes, it seems the thread is dead - the silicone plug seems expensive and troublesome without a gaurentee the silicone will cure completely - and it won't work for eGo Mega cartriges (or eGo Type B cylinder carts) without something to keep the silicone plug from working it's way up into the cartridge, something like the hollow tubes they were putting through the vent holes (which increases the chances of leakage)...

eGo Mega/cylinder: the coffee straw mod works well for topping off the Mega cartridges (but with the tip pointing up the atomizer will flood easily immediately after topping off, or after a long period of no vaping - later, after vaping about 1.5 ml, the atomizer will be too dry after a long period of the tip pointing down). fresh polyester filler is cheaper than washing used filler with grain neutral spirits (ever notice vapor coming out of the filler when you top off imediately after it starts tasting dull? maybe you need the straw mod to see it? i wonder if the dull taste in well-used unwashed-filler comes from vapors condensing on the fibers). for now, i'm using tweezers to make the filler dense and wet by pushing it down and then pulling it up flush with the edge of the cartridge, adjusting the straw if necessary, topping it off, and then putting the atomizer on it while keeping the tip pointed down for the first 5 or 6 hits - i'm finiding the first 1.5ml is good vaping, after that the tip needs to point up for some time for a good clean tasting hit. (i've run the wick dry by using centripital force to make the last of the fluid in the wick move towards the atomizer - it doesn't take much - for each draw, maybe one, maybe two hammering motions with the tip towards you).

Last edited:

Tinki

Feb 22, 2011
Texas
Bought some of this putty but haven't used it yet, thought I would read thread to the end first. Now I am wondering if I should just take the putty back to Michael's. Seems like a real good idea that could have been perfected. I am using the stainless steel screen mod which if cut right works great with some poly filler. Wish this thread could pick back up.

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
Yes this is a good idea! I’ve been using something similar for over a year now, it vapes great and increases the life of the atty’s because the wick is always wet. I use a 1/16” thick silicone trivet about $8, hand punch 5/16” round $8, hand punch 3/16” oval $8.

Punch a 5/16” circle from the trivet with hand punch

Place the a 510 cart on top of the circle and shave off the two edges of the circle using the flat sides of the cart as your guide with a razor.

Punch the circle with the 3/16” oval punch

You can use a straw inside the cart to hold the plug in place, I use a cut piece of gold coffee filter screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread