ZFM Variant - Sealed Cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Foreword

This is a variant of an existing mod: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/53487-zfm-zero-filler-mod.html

I'm using it on

A Tornado/eGo with mega atomisers and mega cartridges.
TW Cola liquid.

Reason for use

Scottyball's ZFM is a really good mod, but I personally found the plug to be a little susceptible to moving when it was in my pocket all day; I also couldn't bothered with picking out the plug. This obviously isn't a problem for everyone, since it's very popular. The loss of the straw means that you get more liquid into the cart.

Performance

I have found it to be solid, and am using this mod all day. Every drag is 'full', and it hasn't leaked once.

What you'll need

An empty cart, one cap, some super glue and a craft knife.

How I do it

The cutting of the cap is exactly the same as Scotty's, but I always use a reasonably large hole. My 510 atomisers have quite a large and wide bridge, so I find that I don't need to bother with */X/H cuts. This is a cap with the hole about 30-40% of it's final size:

cap.jpg

I then insert the cap into the top of an empty 510 (mega, in my case) cart. The easiest way to do this is to place the cap on a flat surface, then to push the cart down onto it:

bash.jpg

Once it's in, it should look like the cartridge below; ensure that all edges of the cap are flush with the cartridge:

before.jpg

Now take the super glue, and dab it round the edge of the cap; it will bond the two materials together almost instantly, and you need the smallest amount. Leave it to dry for 30 minutes.

I purposely make the holes in the cap smaller than I suspect they need to be; it's easy to make a hole bigger, but pretty much impossible to make it smaller. Once the cart has been used for a few minutes, you'll find that the cap shrinks a little - that's another reason for being conservative with the size. If you're not getting enough juice, increase the size of the hole using a craft knife.

I've been using the same cartridge for just shy of three weeks; unlike my 901 carts, these 510s don't seem to get loose anywhere near as quickly. Here's what the cart looks like now:

done.jpg

(the damp-look is liquid)

As you can see (or not, sorry about the lighting), the hole I settled with covers about 1/3 of the cap's surface. The silicon cap does soften substantially after a few days, and this only helps the flow even more.

Refilling

I did the first few refills with a syringe, but realised that the hole was big enough to simply use the standard liquid droppers. Simply put the dropper at an angle, on the top and to the side:

fill.jpg

It flows right in, as long as you don't try and fill it in 2 seconds flat - it can hold a lot of liquid.

I was initially concerned with adding super glue to the cart, but considering that amount of melted cart tips I've seen over the years, considered it a moot point. It's very convenient for me, because 2 - 3 carts is a full day's heavy vaping; I have plenty of spare silicon caps, so I just pop one on each of my modded carts and throw them in my Tornado pouch.

If anyone else tries it, I'd be interested in your findings. For me it beats cartomisers and standard carts by a mile.

Ingenious.... it works and doesnt leak... but I cant get a hole in the middle as the silicone keeps closing up around it, dont have a knife small enough but I can get a needle and shoot some juice in the cart... But it does work... Think Ill vap sum more superglue ... lol

When I pull the cart off the atomizer the X closes up Its just hell getting juice in the cart... Ill get a needle tomorrow too load the cart... did I say this is Ingenious.. I say this is the new cart mod bonanza...

Dude this 510 hits like a dream and no juice in my mouth I only got like 6 drops in the cart and have taken like 10 big draws and every one is perfect... completely ingenius..

Last edited:
Ive got a nic buzz right now sucking on this 510... I used a Tasty Vapor nozzle to get my juice in the cart.... Ill let ya know how it goes tonight but so far its a win win... JUst gotta let the nic buzz wear off now..:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

edit 3 hrs later no flooding and finally got a bigger hole works great!!!! Thanks Again

Last edited:

ricky59

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
North Carolina
I haven't tried this method, but you can get a leather punch at walmart (maybe Asda in the UK?) or probably most hardware stores that has a rotating piece with several sized punches to select from. I use one to make vent holes in my tires on my R/C cars. You can make a pretty small hole. It's not a cheap tool, but if you are going to do this a lot, you might find it useful. Makes a perfectly round little hole.

the plug lasted all night just normal vaping.. but in the morning I am a nicotine monster and I vape for like 10 mins straight .... I have like 5 / 510s loaded and just vape till there empty...:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor: :p

Unless your a nicoholic like me.... this mod would work great for average.... I think I am extremely heavy :vapor: :D

Last edited:

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
I'll try posting this again.
Hello M8, Thanks for the post. This mod works pretty good. I have used it 2 days on my lr510 @3.7v, no leaking at all. good vapes and taste and TH.
I tried making SBs plug, took about a hour to find parts to make it. When I went to put it in, Ping. It jumped up in the air, never to be found again. So I gave up on the idea until i seen your post. Pressing the cart on top of the plug makes it a lot easier. I checked the attie height and adjusted the plug before glued it.
This may or not be a tip on cutting the plugs. I took a common pencil with eraser and pulled the eraser off then removed the metal part. With a pair of needle nose pliers you can form the metal to the exact size and shape of the 510 cart.
I put the metal tip in the end cap and used a hammer to pound thru. No trimming nothing, fit perfect.
This is a good mod for me and people who like to use the pen style.

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Hi Roadrash, glad to hear you're having some success, and cheers for the tip on making holes. The local superstore didn't have a leather press, so I lucked out following Ricky's advice; I'm going to pop into a fabric hobby store next week.

I've just got back from a day of airsoft (like paintball); after jumping through the air and landing on it, rolling on it, and slamming it into trees multiple times - it still didn't leak!

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
Update for ya M8tie, I made a couple more and only one leaked. I played around with the opening to much. LOL.

I made Another cookie cutter for the plug. Used a empty 510 attie holder.
cut it lengthwise with tin snips, wrapped a mini hose clamp around it and tightened until I had the right size. formed it up a bit to get the flat part right.
A little tap with a hammer and you have a plug.

The last 2 I decided to do something different. I glued the plug in with no hole. After it dried for a hour or so, I used a sharp crafting knife and cut in a 6 point star. this works well also and you don't have to guess where or what size the hole should be.

A couple more observations, If you use a white cart. You can hold it up to a light to see how full it is.
Also I fill the cart with a syringe and a piece of feeder tubing. Pushing the tubing in all the way forces the air out.
Thats it for now, but I know I will be fiddling some more with it.:toast:

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Update for ya M8tie, I made a couple more and only one leaked. I played around with the opening to much. LOL.

I made Another cookie cutter for the plug. Used a empty 510 attie holder.
cut it lengthwise with tin snips, wrapped a mini hose clamp around it and tightened until I had the right size. formed it up a bit to get the flat part right.
A little tap with a hammer and you have a plug.

The last 2 I decided to do something different. I glued the plug in with no hole. After it dried for a hour or so, I used a sharp crafting knife and cut in a 6 point star. this works well also and you don't have to guess where or what size the hole should be.

A couple more observations, If you use a white cart. You can hold it up to a light to see how full it is.
Also I fill the cart with a syringe and a piece of feeder tubing. Pushing the tubing in all the way forces the air out.
Thats it for now, but I know I will be fiddling some more with it.:toast:

Thanks for the update! I haven't tried an X or * with this mod (I'm still on the same cart), but I'll give it a go on the next one. If I could only find a small syringe I'd be set, but I've only got huge ones! Every time I go to a chemist and ask for some, they say no, and hand me a rehab leaflet.

.......s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread