Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
This is a variation on this very clever mod:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/46294-must-try-adm-auto-drip-mod.html so I thought I should post this one in a seperate thread.

There was some concern about the metal spring corroding. With a 510, you can use the natural ledge on the inside, but that sits pretty far into the reservoir. Or you can special order plastic springs. This method eliminates the metal and also works on carts that are smooth on the interior. It also uses everyday items. This also incorporates Scottbee's notching idea & uses a springier filler like Scotch Brite blue non-scratch scrub pads (one without abrasives) or the blue fish filter foam.

Supplies:
One drinking straw or coffee straw
Scotch Brite Non-scratch Pad or Ehiem Fish tank Filter
Scissors
Tweezers

Remove the polyfill that came with the cartridge & discard. Cut a drinking straw to about 4 mm below the open end of the cart & notch the bottom. Slide into the cart. If the diameter is too wide to fit in the cart, cut the straw all the way through lengthwise, to remove a section of it. It'll roll back into a tube on it's own. Or use two coffee straws cut to equal length.

Press the end of the empty cart on the greenie to get a template. Cut off the piece. Fill the cart with about 15 drops (on a 510) and plug the end with the filler material using a tweezers. Prod it gently and you should see some of the liquid seep into the pad.

If it floods the atty or leaking, you need to cut a larger piece to seal the end better. If it's not wicking, cut a smaller piece. The only purpose of the straw is to keep the plug from sliding into the reservoir.

You can do a LOT of cart mods with one straw and a pad! :)

Strawplug-2.jpg

Last edited:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Sadly... as has happened in the past, my poly plug started to caramelize and my liquid delivery trailed off. My consistent use of VG liquid may have something to do with this.

Being a hobby machinist... I have an ample supply of Scotchbrite pads on hand (we use them to polish aluminum and steel on the lathe). Went out and got one, cut it down to size, singed the edges and I now have it installed in a 901 cart.

Initial performance is quite, quite good.. and Kristin you just might be onto something here! I'll hold final judgment until after I get a couple of days use under my belt.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I've found that the thicker, more porous stuff like ScotchBrite pads and aquarium filters don't like to wick when they get too dry. If I notice any dryness to a vape it's usually because I've been impatient and hit the Prodigy too often too fast. So I just add a drop to the pad to get the wicking going again.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I actually had a cart with Scottyballs' spring mod working perfectly with some polyfill. But then I put the PV in my pocket, which activated the switch, which melted the cartridge before I felt the heat.

That kinda sucked - it was a perfect 6+ hour cartridge setup on a great atomizer. Both destroyed - the atomizer produces nothing but a burnt taste now.

So last night I had to start all over - new atty, puff through the primer, cut a plug of blue filter, go through the ordeal of sizing the filter perfectly... Ugh.

I think I got lucky with the polyfill, and I hate all the loose threads so I avoid it. But ScotchBrite and aquarium foam have their downsides, too.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Sorry, I haven't used ScotchBrite specifically, but I assume it may have the drying problem I mentioned a couple posts back.

If you vape too often and the top layer of the blue aquarium foam gets dry it doesn't like to re-start wicking the juice from the cart. ScotchBrite is pretty much identical stuff, so I assume it may experience this minor issue. But it's not really ScotchBrite's fault, it's user error.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Kristin,

Be careful with the various Scotch Brite pads. 3M makes a variation of the pad that actually has abrasives impregnated into the fibers. Not what we want to use in our cartridges.
Thanks Scott, I had noticed that, too. I'm looking for one that doesn't have that and it just straight nylon fibers. I have a scrubbie with a handle on it that seems to be just that. I'm trying to remember where I got it!

The fish tank scrubbie probable doesn't have the abrasives, as it would leave the residue in the tank...

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
PIOT: I found bendable straws at the grocery store. They are narrower than McDonald's straws and flexible part may work really well in the atty - just expand or contract them...I'll let you know how they work!

I'm willing to guess/bet that those are the exact same straws that I used. Got a bunch of them here at the house.

But I didn't use the "bend accordion" part of the straw. I thought it might take up too much space, and not really yield much of a benefit.

Looking forward to your analysis. I was playing around with this last night and had to stop. I was going through way too much 30mg liquid and was starting to feel the effects! :cry:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I'm willing to guess/bet that those are the exact same straws that I used. Got a bunch of them here at the house.

But I didn't use the "bend accordion" part of the straw. I thought it might take up too much space, and not really yield much of a benefit.

Looking forward to your analysis. I was playing around with this last night and had to stop. I was going through way too much 30mg liquid and was starting to feel the effects! :cry:
Yeah, the bendy part didn't have any added benefits, but the straw fits in the 510 cart PERFECTLY! Just have to squeeze it a little to slide it in. And I finally added the notches to the bottom of the straw and it's flowing even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread