Recommending "better" startup kit for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Somebody I know seems to have taken a serious interest in vaping. For the first time I started wondering what I would recommend. I'm looking for some feedback on it. First, I have some objectives in mind:

- Very few batteries to charge.
- Low cost, if not the lowest cost.
- Vape at least a month for a single startup cost.
- Demonstrate some advantages of ecigs over analogs.

First, I thought he should not plan on vaping a whole day. I considered that he start just vaping in the evenings or vaping in his car.

Believe it or not, I thought vaping in his car would be the way to go:

- NO batteries to charge.
- Very close to the lowest cost, if not THE lowest cost.
- Vape over a month, depending on life of the atty's.
- Advantage of no ashes covering the interior of his car.

I priced it out like this (all from U.S. suppliers):

- One DSE901 passthrough 14.00 (rocky mountain vapor)
- Two DSE901 atomizers 14.00 (rocky mountain vapor)
- One pack of carts 4.00 (rocky mountain vapor)
- One USB-cigarette-lighter adapter 14.50 (amazon.com)
- One 30 ml, 18 mg tobacco flavored juice 18.00
- One 15 ml, 18 mg vanilla for cutting tobacco to taste 10.00

Assuming free shipping at rocky mountain and amazon, and $6.00 shipping for juice, his total cost would be about $80. Total cost to keep him vaping for over a month.

I'd show him how to use tea bags for repacking his 901 carts.

Opinions?

Dave W.

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
While this seems like a decent solution you have excluded him from being able to take the 901 to anywhere but the car and his computer. I would be more inclined to go with this...

The 510 Elite kit from NHaler:

2 Manual 510 Batteries
2 Atomizers
1 Bottle 30Ml of your choice
5 Cartridges
Wall Charger
PCC-Personal Charging Case

All this for $75 minus 10% for using his code = $67.5 + $10 shipping = $77.50.

The beauty of this is he can take it anywhere and still only has 2 batteries to keep up with and they will be with him always.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH

2 Manual 510 Batteries
2 Atomizers
5 Cartridges
Wall Charger

I really, really like the price. I've tried this combo. My regular PV is a 510. My friends are old guys who smoke like crazy. So I'm afraid they would get into the 510 battery crunch too soon. Of course with the 901 they would be dealing with more atty problems. Big trade off here.

I would also have to try nhaler's juice before I recommended to anyone. What juice would you recommend?

Thanks for the suggestion,
Dave

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
I'd go with with the 510 elite kit but throw in a usb pass-through and a car adapter. Most PTs will still operate for awhile unplugged. This gets them from the car to the office or home without breaking stride. If they wanted they could just tuck the usb/battery end into their pants pocket, put the PT part in their shirt pocket and go shopping in the stores too. It does add to your price limit, but, why not go and get all the necessary accessories for unlimited, anytime, anywhere vaping?

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
I really, really like the price. I've tried this combo. My regular PV is a 510. My friends are old guys who smoke like crazy. So I'm afraid they would get into the 510 battery crunch too soon. Of course with the 901 they would be dealing with more atty problems. Big trade off here.

I would also have to try nhaler's juice before I recommended to anyone. What juice would you recommend?

Dave

I'm real partial to his Marlbro, but his NHaler Tobacco is good as well.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
I'd have to say that the PCC route (510, 4081, 901, whatever) sounds like the best bet to me since you have both out and about time along with handy, usb charging. Seems to be the best way to keep the batt count low and still have the power on hand when wanted/needed.

Passthru's a handy fallback for sure but since I got my Janty Stick, I've not touched any of my other options - 901 kit, passthru or kensington batt pack. But, the JS is $80 and no juice.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I'd have to say that the PCC route (510, 4081, 901, whatever) sounds like the best bet to me since you have both out and about time along with handy, usb charging. Seems to be the best way to keep the batt count low and still have the power on hand when wanted/needed.

Passthru's a handy fallback for sure but since I got my Janty Stick, I've not touched any of my other options - 901 kit, passthru or kensington batt pack. But, the JS is $80 and no juice.

Thanks...it sound like you are very happy with your journey so far.

My experience is that my friends flat out seem embarrased about vaping in public. They just aren't as weird as me :) So I figure they would like vaping "secretly" in their car. I bounced car-only vaping off one such friend and he really liked the idea.

Forgive me for talking down to you a bit...though your handle is "newbie" :) But I think that once you have tried to take your PV in lots of different places, you will find just how big a deal it is to keep batteries charged, PCC or not.

Dave

andybside

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
510 all the way. The PCC rocks. It's small and really convenient. I'm still waiting to try the passthrough. I also recommend getting the flat/whistle tips. They help with flavor. You can use the 901 carts and I hear that they make them specifically for the 510 now too. I know Nhaler sells them. They are prefilled but once you use them up, just restuff them with some poly fill. Hope that helps.

ceo51378

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Annapolis MD
Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop

510 Starter kit (comes with extra atomizer, 2 batts, 5 cartridges) $36.90
30ml bottle of your favorite juice - $9.00

You might want to Grab a PCC for $18.50 - its about the size of a pack of Capri's, charges your batts 4-6 times, and carries everything you need for a day of HEAVY vaping.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
510 all the way. The PCC rocks. It's small and really convenient. I'm still waiting to try the passthrough. I also recommend getting the flat/whistle tips. They help with flavor. You can use the 901 carts and I hear that they make them specifically for the 510 now too. I know Nhaler sells them. They are prefilled but once you use them up, just restuff them with some poly fill. Hope that helps.

I have tried all the parts that you mentioned. Compared to my pants pocket, I think the PCC is large. Especially because I have to stick it in a cell phone case so the sharp edges don't cut me or my pants.

I have also had problems with the 510 PCC not making good connection with the battery being charged. I now have very little confidence that it will always be charging a battery.

When I took the PCC camping, it did not help very much at all. I longed for a passthru in my car :) Now I have one. The passthru saves batteries so I no longer need a PCC--just a couple of spare batteries in my pocket.

And I no longer worry about my pants, as long as I keep them on :)

Dave

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop

510 Starter kit (comes with extra atomizer, 2 batts, 5 cartridges) $36.90
30ml bottle of your favorite juice - $9.00

You might want to Grab a PCC for $18.50 - its about the size of a pack of Capri's, charges your batts 4-6 times, and carries everything you need for a day of HEAVY vaping.

After the $12 for shipping you are at $76.50. Then you have to hope it doesn't get stopped at customs.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Thanks...it sound like you are very happy with your journey so far.

My experience is that my friends flat out seem embarrased about vaping in public. They just aren't as weird as me :) So I figure they would like vaping "secretly" in their car. I bounced car-only vaping off one such friend and he really liked the idea.

Forgive me for talking down to you a bit...though your handle is "newbie" :) But I think that once you have tried to take your PV in lots of different places, you will find just how big a deal it is to keep batteries charged, PCC or not.

Dave

We all are nubee's at some point in life :)

Your goal, and my response, was to minimize your batts and cost; and I thought minimize was with respect to count > 0.
For me and my JS, traveling about is not an issue - 2 weeks camping in the woods to boot and hence one of the main reasons I purchased it.

The JS uses AAA size batts at 4-5 hours of heavy vaping each and the stick fits in you shirt pocket easier than a pack of smokes ever did.
I use an old cart box for 3-4 extra, fully charged batts and the day is mine - cord free. 4-way charger overnight and I don't even need a butler.

I just found very quickly (2 days after my first ecig) that I was going to want to have this thing with me 24/7.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
We all are nubee's at some point in life :)

Your goal, and my response, was to minimize your batts and cost; and I thought minimize was with respect to count > 0.
For me and my JS, traveling about is not an issue - 2 weeks camping in the woods to boot and hence one of the main reasons I purchased it.

The JS uses AAA size batts at 4-5 hours of heavy vaping each and the stick fits in you shirt pocket easier than a pack of smokes ever did.
I use an old cart box for 3-4 extra, fully charged batts and the day is mine - cord free. 4-way charger overnight and I don't even need a butler.

I just found very quickly (2 days after my first ecig) that I was going to want to have this thing with me 24/7.

Sorry. You definitely need to change your handle :)

I like your JS idea. Have you heard of anyone who tried a solar power unit/charger when no electricity available? How do think this solution would compare to your JS?

And do you still use your 510 PCC?

Dave

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH

2 Manual 510 Batteries
2 Atomizers
5 Cartridges
Wall Charger

Okay, opuscroakus, I just said "uncle". I don't know why I keep looking for a better setup than the 510. Perfectionist I guess :)

A couple of questions. First, I could not find whether nhaler has some way to charge the PCC. Doesn't it require a USB charger, not a standard wall charger?

Also, I'm assuming marlboro is stronger than tobacco, and I'm afraid to recommend a juice that has a really strong flavor. And I could only find "high tobacco". I this what you recommended?

Finally, what are the nic concentrations of your recommendations?

Thanks,
Dave :)

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Sorry. You definitely need to change your handle :)

I like your JS idea. Have you heard of anyone who tried a solar power unit/charger when no electricity available? How do think this solution would compare to your JS?

And do you still use your 510 PCC?

Dave

Yeah, handle doesn't fit the bill now I guess. Made sense when I created it though.

I haven't heard/read anyone using the solar setup and wish I had seen some of the mini/hand/usb based ones before my vacation - would have been a great time and place to test.

I used the ol' car battery to charge from the cig lighter to the JS as it has a usb charge/vape setup. I don't know if the solar would put out enough to vape off of without this battery/charge/usb option. Some passthru's do have that same setup though.

I don't own a PCC myself (or a 510) but have read tons of good things about them and will definitely take that route when I buy my next set of hardware. I guess the PCC just makes sense to me being an EE and having dead batt experiences in my early days.

ceo51378

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Annapolis MD
After the $12 for shipping you are at $76.50. Then you have to hope it doesn't get stopped at customs.

The $3-6 (registered airmail) shipping only takes a few more days. I've placed 10+ orders through them with no issues whatsoever. :thumbs: ...so without the PCC, it would come out to about $50 shipped - and that's with a 30ml bottle of juice. Last time I checked, most of the juice is selling for $20 and you're still paying $6+ for shipping.

Last edited:

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY

Dave

If they're long-time smokers like this, it's often preferable to ease them into it with batteries and keeping it more like a cigarette until they get used to the idea, then start explaining passthroughs and mods. I think a wire coming out of the end of their cigarette and into the dashboard/computer, or a weird looking battery mod would turn them off initially. Just a guess, since I don't know your friends though. I still think that 510 starter kit from Nhaler there sounds like a real good deal and would be well suited for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread