Is a 'MOD' Device Really Cheaper In The Long Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
The hardware gives me the most fits. One of mine is the starter kit from Light in the box (a DSE) and was suppose to be under warranty for a year. The batteries are just about useless now and I think as they died they did in the atomizer. The atomizer I expected to replace a few times over the year, but not the batteries because a good battery should last a year or more. I'm on my cell a lot and have to charge it a lot and the battery sure hasn't died because of the times I've had to charge it.
I'm waiting for a reply from Light in the box. If they stick to it, that's where I get all my e cigs.
It's too bad the Skyrl doesn't carry a year warranty because it is my favorite but I'm already experiencing battery problems.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
ps... one thing worth a comment.. are we getting a new breed of e smokers appearing.. i never enjoyed real cigs.. i simply smoked them to feed my nicotine addiction.. i e smoke for the same reason..

I guess I would fall into that category. I loved smoking. Oh, I didn't like smelling like an ashtray, I didn't like having to go outside and absent myself from my friends and family, and I didn't like worrying about cancer and all the other health problems associated with smoking, but I sure did like smoking. I liked inhaling. I liked the feeling of smoke going into my lungs. I liked the feeling of relaxation I got with the first puff of my cigarette.

Like Breakfastchef, my vaping is a direct replacement for smoking. I, too, vape so I don't smoke. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm not nearly as addicted to nicotine as I am to the physical act of inhaling, of drawing something of substance into my lungs.

I was a 2+ pack a day smoker for 30 years . . . I am, not surprisingly, a heavy vaper. To be perfectly honest, I think if I were to cut down on my vaping (even if I vaped high nicotine solutions), I'd be craving the cigarettes. Like I said, I vape so that I won't smoke.

I honestly thought my situation was the norm, but in light of Trog's comment, I'm starting to wonder if I'm unusual. :confused:

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
I am cutting down on the strength of nicotine. I hope to reach 0 one day. Will I quit then? I really don't know. At this time I am liking everything about it. Well, that is when everything is working right. I don't like being out of attys. I like mixing my own juice. I like reading the posts on the forum. There is just so much frustration here to love. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
It is interesting that you were addicted to nicotine and are certain you did not like smoking. It seems that your Screwdriver should have taken care of that for you.

well chef when the act of smoking makes you cough.. you take small draws to lessen the coughing.. you feel embarrassed when people see you coughing and still smoking..

it took a long time to get like that but thats was where i was at.. most folks go thru their smoking lives thinking they could stop if the time comes.. some learn differently.. i did.. i am a nicotine addict i cant go without the stuff..

e smoking feeds that habit.. and the good news.. my evil cough pretty much disappeared overnight.. i dont cough any more.. remarkable but true..

i still have the odd real cig.. i can actually enjoy one now it dosnt make me cough... he he

i dont buy any but will take the odd one when its offered.. i dont need them now.. thats the difference.. i also have no fear of reverting back.. i really can take them or leave them..

my favorite customers.. we do have a few.. older folks with health problems and real needs.. we might be killing them in some as yet unknown way but at least they can get off tobacco.. not get off nicotine just tobacco.. he he

burning leaves seems to be the main problem.. not the nicotine..

trog

Last edited:

rustiangel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga, TN, USA
burning leaves seems to be the main problem.. not the nicotine..

trog

I agree once you take the combustion and burning away, it's basically a clean delivery of a drug. I was a pack a day smoker, some weeks 2 packs a day. I smoked every chance i got outside. Every time i smoked i hated myself, because i knew it was bad, and it made me feel sick, but i needed the nicotine. I never smoked in my house. I was perpetually sick, coughing wheezing mucus etc. but i liked the act of smoking as well....

I started with my 901, and my cough cleared in about a week, i felt so much better, and not as guilty about my smoking replacement. Thing was when i smoked i knew i was killing myself. Now i don't physically feel like I'm killing myself, granted inhaling PG / VG / PEG might be bad in some other ways, but at this point I feel like it's definitely healthier than smoking.

yknotagain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2009
Kenosha, WI
I had several potential customers who wouldn't come into my store due to the smell of smoke. No problems with that anymore. As for nicotine, I'm even finding myself vaping more and more Zero nic. Once in awhile I need a hit bad and quick so throw in 2 drops of 36mg which usually settles me down quickly.

raven9mm

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
IL
well nothing against the screwdrivers and the prodigy's of the world, they do look nice ... but there is a way you can make your own for much cheaper and the battery lasts 3-5 DAYS... and it still uses lower voltage, so the amount of juice used does not go up, you still get great performance since there is very little amp drop when used, so the vapor production is still there...

FOG LOG

UltraFire Protected 18650 3.7V 3000mAh Lithium Batteries (2-Pack) $15.36 free ship at deal extreme
or
TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) $8.98 free ship at deal extreme
and
TrustFire All-in-One Charger (for 10430/10440/14500/16340 /17670/18650/CR123A) $8.81 free ship at deal extreme
and
adapter for 901 or 801 at radioshack under $4 with tax
and
switch of your choosing at radioshack under $3 with tax
and
some copper pipe and 2 end caps about $5
and
some wire and solder you have laying around

total: about $32-$36

even if you have to find someone that needs to help you build it, it saves a ton of money. The batts last for days(and you have a spare!), and they should last for at least a year of use. I know the look of the Fog Log is not for everyone, just saying it is an option. I have been more than happy with mine.

Nthstar

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2009
Jacksonville,Fl
Althow we have gotten off the main subject here, I feel the need to put in my .02
I smoked 35 years and even thow I knew they were killing me, I loved every one of them.
I quit smoking 15 times and I guess now that I never did quit smoking. If I knew I was
going to die in a car crash next week, I would probibly have 3 cartons smoked by the weekend... Thing is, we dont know most of us when we will die or what from. I smoked
so much that I had to heve flem into a bucket every 20 minutes no matter if I was sleeping or awake.The Doc said thats how my body was trying to fight off what I was doing to it. I could go on but you understand.Then I found these e-cigs, you guys and
this web site. I am very very greatful (tear) to find you.I wish it was 20 years ago,but
now is better than never. So even thow some of you are a bit younger than I, you
are overlooking the main thing..... Your Life,and as long as I can keep my junk running,
I will never smoke another cigarette again. I like e-cigs Better then smoking because of the flavors.
My point is its not important how much it costs if you can afford it, rather that you
enjoy it, it wont kill you and its like having a hobby. Nthstar

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
For me--if there is a "cost" factor for using a device that is reliable and works like a MOD. Commercal e-cigs just simply do not have a long enough battery lifespan for me and passthoughs hanging out my mouth is not my idea of a pleasurable experiance. So I am willing to pony up any additional costs in operating a MOD (if there is one) as it makes the e-cig experiance much more enjoyable and hassle free

Sun

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
If you create more vaopr from the same juice then you are using it at a faster rate. No rocket science here!

Why does the 501 work well for so many? Two things: runs a bit hotter (more power in) and better juice flow.

the downside being its all powered my the same micky mouse battery.. whip the mouse harder and it dies quicker.. no rocket science here ether.. he he

trog

ps.. there are some simple truths here.. it isnt just opinion...

"mods" more expensive to buy upfront but if properly designed should be cheaper to run long term.. also bigger and heavier..

look alike cigs... cheaper to buy upfront will cost more to run long term.. the batteries because of their small size and complexity cost more and dont last very long.. either run time or life time..

but if small e cigs are what folks want and they are prepared to pay the higher running costs they will work okay.. the weakness is the batteries.. they are simply not big enough for heavy use without constant replacement..

fact... a battery that is big enough to do its job cost effectively will not fit into a cigarette sized tube..

and you dont just have to buy another battery when one dies.... you have to buy the complete e cig half with all the chippery thats goes with it.. long term this dosnt come cheap..

work out you priorities and make your choice.. dont think battery technology will improve any time soon.. it wont.. the power source is at the heart of it.. little cig like ones will cost more to keep buying than bigger cheaper "mod" ones..

for the same vapour the other consumable costs will remain the same.. a 510 does work nicely.. as long as a charger or additional power source is near by.. if it aint be prepared to carry lots of spare batteries.. you will need them..

trog

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread