Radio shack switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

macruadhi

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Far East Tennessee
Has anyone else had a problem with Radio shack switch longevity? I bought a pack of the smallest momentary switches at RS the other day, and I've used one at slightly less than five volts for about a week and it started getting a little wonky so I cut it out last night and put in a new one and it too is a hit and miss proposition. It has a failure rate of about 25% so far, from a brand new switch. Anybody else have experiences like this?

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Just metal parts, making and breaking the contact, no electronics invited. The blade switch might make a decent master, but miniaturizing this for a mod would be sweet:

nanokey3_sm.jpg

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
I like the telegraph switch idea. (Beep, Beep, Boop, *vape*, Boop, Boop, Beep)

Example of a mechanical switch in a mod

You've may have just opened a can of worms here, since switch size/rating is one of the most highly debated topics between modders. Some like to use .5mA tact switches and have no problems, but some burn them out constantly and replace them constantly. I use 3A b/c I know they work. If you really want or need to use a tiny tact switch, a mosfet would be advisable to keep you from replacing blown switches constantly...

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
It will only get worse, you are burning them out, slowly but surely. Treat yourself and get some 3A+ rated switches or go mechanical.

You "converted" me to not use them anymore. My problem now is finding a 3A switch that is small enough to fit into AAA boxes; almost every one of them are too long/tall.

Anyone have a good source for short 3A rated momentary switches?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread