Visit to Radio Shack with Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinScott

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Acton MA, USA
Ok, so I decided to try and build one of these battery box mods. I went to one Radio Shack, nothing for a do-it-your-self'er but soldering irons and multimeters. The rest was all cellphones and accessories.

So I went to another RS store and nestled way in the back left corner was a small selection of parts and a tall draftsman style filing cabinet. While I'm poking around, seeing if I can even get some of the parts locally, I'm approached by a tall skinny kid with braces and round glasses who looked like Harry Potter. Harry spoke with a bit of a lisp (perhaps the braces were new) asking if he could help me.

I explained I was trying to make a battery box, and looking for parts. Harry asks how many batteries and, without even looking, Harry reaches into a seemingly random drawer in the draftsman cabinet, and pulls out the 2 AA battery holder as if plucking a rabbit from a hat. Next were the two switches, a slide switch for a saftey cut-off and a momentary switch to activate my experiment. If I had blinked, I would have missed it. He may have even just conjured them out of thin air for all I know, but there they were in my hands. The green LED's were next, with a micro potentiometer to act as a resistor ('cause neither Harry nor I knew what kind of resistor to, well, resist the amperage or voltage, or however you measure the speed of these electrons).

The only thing we couldn't figure out was the connector for my 801 attomizer. Mr. Potter politely asked if I could explain the purpose of my mysterious device, and I offered to demonstrate. At this point, we were both squatted down low to the floor hunting for the elusive connector. I drew a primer puff, then a good sized plume of vapor. Harry sprung back from the mysterious myst so fast he lost his balance and wound up in an undified position. When he recovered his composure, he was impressed by the ingenuity of my vaporizer.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, here's my parts list and a few questions for the experts. I told Harry this is for a 3 - 5 volt battery, opperating at 1 amp. I just based that on my question about using an iPhone wall charger for a USB passthrough source. I'm just guessing. How far off base was I?

270-408 $1.69 "2 AA battery holder"
This was the easy part.

275-0646 $2.49 "SPST Momentary pushbutton switch"
Rated 3A at 125 VAC, 1.5A at 250VAC. Pretty easy guess I think.

275-409 $2.69 "SPDT Submini slide switch"
Rated 3A 125 VAC
This is evidently a "double throw" so it has three leeds - which leeds to solder to?

276-0069 $2.49 "Subminiature green LED assembly"
Rated 2.1V, 20mA
So I want a little bling, er, indicator.

271-0284 $1.49 "100K-Ohm Micro-Size potentiometer"
Rated 50VDC - 0.1 WATTS

---------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:
The slide switch - There are three pins, how do I know which pins to solder to? I'm guessing the center for the positive, and it doesn't really matter which of the outside ones.

We figured to use the 100k-Ohm potentiometer, because we didn't know what resister to use. Was this a mistake? Also, which way to I turn it to start at the lowest power level? Counter clockwise? I figure I'll just start turing it up, until the LED glows and that must be the right resistance. I don't want to burn the sucker out; good thing it's a two pack.

My plan is to create two parallel circuits.

Posotive from the battery, to the kill switch, to the momentary switch, to the center of the atty, ouside of the atty to the negative of the battery.

The second circuit (run in parallel) from the battery to the kill switch to the momentary switch, to the potentiometer to the LED and back to the negative pole on the battery.

Could I make a third circuit just to indicate the kill switch is enganged? Positive battery to kill switch to pot to led and back to negative battery?

Does any of this even make sence?

Any suggestions are more then welcome. Do I need to exchange any of these parts or did I get the ratings right?

Still need to work out the connector for the attomizer and find the battery & charger.

jebjr

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
tewksbury, ma
SS, I just remembered that there used to be a heathkit store not to far away from you. I think there is only 9 combinations for you wires, so you can attach them temporarily and see which way you want them. There used to be an electronics supply store in Woburn in cummings park also. I would google to see if there are places closer. To bad analog electronics is fading.

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
Questions:
The slide switch - There are three pins, how do I know which pins to solder to? I'm guessing the center for the positive, and it doesn't really matter which of the outside ones.
Use the center contact and either of the ends.

We figured to use the 100k-Ohm potentiometer, because we didn't know what resister to use. Was this a mistake? Also, which way to I turn it to start at the lowest power level? Counter clockwise? I figure I'll just start turing it up, until the LED glows and that must be the right resistance. I don't want to burn the sucker out; good thing it's a two pack.
I think that resister is way to big, should be in around 100 ohms, not 100K
My plan is to create two parallel circuits.

Posotive from the battery, to the kill switch, to the momentary switch, to the center of the atty, ouside of the atty to the negative of the battery.

The second circuit (run in parallel) from the battery to the kill switch to the momentary switch, to the potentiometer to the LED and back to the negative pole on the battery.
good, except I don't think the LED will work with that potentiometer, see above.

Could I make a third circuit just to indicate the kill switch is enganged? Positive battery to kill switch to pot to led and back to negative battery?
You could connect an LED from ground to the switched side of the kill switch

Does any of this even make sence?
Should work, I built a USB passthrough with the 2x AA batt box. The switch might be hard to fit due to it's size. You might consider getting 3.7V LEDS and/ or the correct resistor in series.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
That double sided cabinet is where all the "goods" are stashed away. I remember the days of going into Radio Shack and seeing parts all over the store like you were walking though Deal Exteme's website---of couse that was 40 years ago--LOL-------Sun

Haha...That's where the "goods" used to be,

I've been building my mods for a month now , at first I could find anything I wanted at one R.S.,
Now I travel round to 3 different stores and find very little of the goods that we use.
The local store gets its deliv's on tuesday...yesterday (wed.) the only thing I could find were size M connectors (2 of them) and all the LED's I could want....NO closed back bat.boxes at all.
I think I have fellow modders nearby lol.

duncantiv

Apr 9, 2009
Should work, I built a USB passthrough with the 2x AA batt box. The switch might be hard to fit due to it's size. You might consider getting 3.7V LEDS and/ or the correct resistor in series.

Any tips on how to figure what resistance is needed?

Alternatively, (and probably a better question) will a 3.7V LED be able to deal with the 4.2V the batteries can put out when fully charged? If one were able to find, say, a 4.2V LED, would 3.7V even light it up?

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
Any tips on how to figure what resistance is needed?

Alternatively, (and probably a better question) will a 3.7V LED be able to deal with the 4.2V the batteries can put out when fully charged? If one were able to find, say, a 4.2V LED, would 3.7V even light it up?

3.7v would light up a 4.2v LED, but 4.2V will eventually fry an LED. a 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistor should solve those problems though.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I made a diagram of my circuit, but how do I post it?
I tried clicking on the "insert image", but it wants a URL.

When you go to post, there are icons along the top to change your font and color and such. There is a paperclip icon to attach a file. Just click that and it will let you attach a file from your computer (your diagram). This will turn it into a thumbnail pic that we can click on and see full size.

SmokinScott

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Acton MA, USA

Attachments

• BBoxCircuit2.JPG
    BBoxCircuit2.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
Can I put this together and test with a standard AA battery? I'm sure it won't power the atty, but I just want to test my connections with a volt meter. Could it hurt anything?
Hard to read the circuit diagram, but it should work. No harm in using a AA battery to test basic connectivity.

You could use an old USB cable, cut off one end, making sure to keep the PC end in tact. Then strip back the outer insulation, remove the shielding, then cut all but the RED and Black wires. Red is positive and black is negative. Just connect the USB in place of the battery, but BEWARE you will be running on 5 volts and may be spoiled by the increased vapor.

My first mod was a twin AA battery case with 901 atty powered by USB. It runs a little on the hot side, but vapes great.

duncantiv

Apr 9, 2009
Ok, I need advice on something now. I'm not even sure how to begin figuring this. If the LED is connected in parallel with the atomizer, then we don't need voltage from the LED to help power the atomizer, correct?

Do we need to concern ourselves with how much voltage comes out the back end? Do we need as much as possible, or is it irrelevant? According to the calculator, with a 100 ohm resistor, we'd have 1.8-2V coming out the back end. Is this good, or should we try to adjust the backend voltage up or down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread