radio shack boxmod switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny bobcat

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Colorado
People use a momentary button inline with the stock on/off switch for safety purposes. Basically to prevent the accidental burning out of attys or even worse it going off in your pocket. Switch it off when not in use or putting it in your pocket. It's not leaving a hole at all and it's still being used.

i wholeheartedly agree. That's precisely what I do with all of my box mods. It makes no sense to get rid of a built in safety feature. taking it out just takes more time and effort to end up with a worse result.

hova

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2010
The YO
im not against people using a secondary momentary , but taking out the slide switch is what i laugh at the most. a nice mod can be ruined by a little rectangular hole. had i gotten a box without a switch , or wanted a nice pushbutton , i would have installed it. when i pu my box together , it not only was my first mod , but i also had to macguyver it. i used an old battery tube layed on my electric stove , to make the hole for the atty , and when it came time for the switch , i didnt have anything large enough to make the hole , and last time i tried using my buck knife to ream a hole in an abs box , it was not pretty. i decided to see how long the switch lasted.

so far , now that the condensation is getting in there all the time , i may have to clean it out , once a week or so , and when it starts dripping , you may have to slide the switch a few times to clear the non conductive eliquid away from the contacts.

i had the switch apart , and it is basically a piece of wire , with the slider on top. it works , even when i thought it was broken , it was just soaked in condensation.

the reason i like it , is because i can get to it to clean it. i will try another one with the atty not so recessed , because this should work just dandy for me.

if you feel you would drop it while its on , then put a momentary switch in. im not saying dont ever do it , im just letting you know that you dont really have to.

i wasnt a big fan of the momentary switches on my manual batteries , because then you have to hold it down. i like being able to turn it on , hit it , and turn it off. i always wondered if the momentary switches were actually off...

and of course when i soldered all my stuff into the switch (all 1 wire) , i somehow soldered it to the off side. so if you ever pick my mod up , and it says on....its really off....

-hov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread