Status
Not open for further replies.

drewbalicious

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
Alrighty folks, I had no idea where to specifically post this so I'll just post it here. If it's in the incorrect spot, please by all means move it to the appropriate sections mods.

I'm not a new vaper, been doing it for about 2 years, and I've had my ProVari's for a year. Here's the situation, one day they just randomly started misfiring. I don't even think misfiring is the appropriate term, it will just stop firing in mid vape while the button is still depressed. I've had this issue with 2 separate ProVari's, and I've sent them both in for service to ProVape and they have both come back with the same issue, even after a good cleaning straight from the dealer.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced a problem similar to this, and if so did you figure out what was causing it? I'm at a complete loss, I can never make it happen, it just does it whenever it feels like it. I thought maybe the spring was losing some of it's ability to push the battery fully up and make a strong contact. So I took the spring out and stretched it, with no luck. This was in the extension cap. I've also tried it with the standard cap, same deal.

The only thing I can think of is that it could be a battery issue. I am using some fairly older batteries, they are coming up on about a year old. Oh yeah, and they are in fact AW IMR's. The good ones, no knock off's for me. :)

I've exchanged a large amount of e-mails back and forth with the wonderful ladies and ProVape, and they have been nothing but helpful and super nice. But I just wanted to throw this out there to the wide world of vapers and see what kinda help I might be able to locate. So any info is greatly appreciated. It's not a life ending problem, because all I have to do is take my finger of the button and re-fire it. But that gets annoying having to do it 100 times a day. Yeah I'm basically a chain vaper.

Thanks for looking anyone!

-Drew-

tomaKBRN

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Puerto Rico
Hello.

While I don't own a ProVari and I'm relatively a noob. I'll give you my :2c:

Since you say this is happening on a 1yr old device I would think it could do any number of little things

If the batteries are in fact old maybe THEY just need replacing.
Having dropped the device maybe a contact on the chip or batt contact came loose and looses power holding it a certain way (solder it yourself?)
They chip may sometimes forget how long 16seconds is and only push power for Xseconds.
Old batteries may fluctuate to much in output or temperate causing the Pro's safety features to kick in and stop vaping
Gunk around the button or bellow it may prevent sometimes the pushing of it or you use it and it stays depressed thus making the next vape/toke cutoff.
If you didn't purchase the extended warranty ProVape might have sent you a product that would only last exactly 1 year (conspiracy theory much?)

I dunno what's happening but I just wanted to bump this so another Pro owner would chip in.

GL

drewbalicious

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
Sounds like there may be an issue with the switch making contact with your battery, in the provari it is a electrical switch. When they looked at your units they said there was no issue?

Excellent point about the switch being the point of concern. Ya know they never told me that anything was wrong with either of the units I sent in. They just did their thing and sent it back to me. No little notes saying "ok we fixed this, or that was wrong" nada. The customer service ladies are super nice, but not exactly super informative about what may have been fixed.

Hello.

While I don't own a ProVari and I'm relatively a noob. I'll give you my

Since you say this is happening on a 1yr old device I would think it could do any number of little things

If the batteries are in fact old maybe THEY just need replacing.
Having dropped the device maybe a contact on the chip or batt contact came loose and looses power holding it a certain way (solder it yourself?)
They chip may sometimes forget how long 16seconds is and only push power for Xseconds.
Old batteries may fluctuate to much in output or temperate causing the Pro's safety features to kick in and stop vaping
Gunk around the button or bellow it may prevent sometimes the pushing of it or you use it and it stays depressed thus making the next vape/toke cutoff.
If you didn't purchase the extended warranty ProVape might have sent you a product that would only last exactly 1 year (conspiracy theory much?)

I dunno what's happening but I just wanted to bump this so another Pro owner would chip in.

GL

I have dropped it a handful of times, thank goodness for my sturdy leather sleeve. :) But also great points about things getting rattled loose inside. I've got some new batteries coming in that I'm going to charge up and give them a go, and see what happens. Your idea about the chip forgetting how long the 16 second cut off is, is something I have also considered. I was thinking about trying to time how long it fires before it cuts off. But since it is completely random when I does it, I don't think I would even be able to attempt to time it. One of the 2 units is still under warranty til March of next year, so I would hope that one would be covered. But the odd thing is, it happens on 2 seperate units. Which leads me to believe it may very well be the batteries.

I do certainly appreciate the input folks. Keep it coming!!

brian5470

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2010
Trenton, Ohio, United States
I have had this issue before and it is an easy fix. Look down inside the tube and you should see a little round metal post that the nipple of the battery contacts. This often becomes dirty from the battery moving around in there. What you need to do to fix the issue is get a pencil with a good eraser put it down there and polish that battery connection till its nice and shiny. This should take care of the intermittent firing issue.

drewbalicious

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
Hey Brian I sure appreciate the info. That was one of the first things ProVape told me to try. So I tried to clean it to the best of my ability and it was still doing it. Then I sent it in to them and they cleaned it too, but still no luck. :( But I got my batteries in the mail today and I'm going to give them a shot. If it's not the batteries I'm just going to send it back to them and tell them to give it a full overhaul since it is still under warranty.

drewbalicious

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
Alright, so here's what I can gather about the problem. Apparently my ProVari's do not like my 801 adapters. I can duplicate the problem across all 4 of my ProVari's, but it only occurs when I use my 801's. I put a 510 on it an it works like a champ, no misfires. I really hope ProVape can give me some answers about why my adapters would cause this, because all I use now is 801 fusions until all this Bogegate mess gets figured out. Hope this info can help someone else out there.

P.S. It only happens on my ProVari's. I put the 801's with adapters on my kicked BAM and my Opus and they work just fine. Just something about the the ProVari's don't like.

Last edited:

tomaKBRN

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Puerto Rico
Again I'm no expert but MAYBE the tolerances (how perfect it fit's to the 801 "standard") may be off causing intermittent touches with the ground (-)?

maybe the material from which it is made heats up too much or just wastes power and the pro thinks like "oh oh better shut off".

Nice to know all the "problems" I may have after christmas :)))

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Excellent point about the switch being the point of concern. Ya know they never told me that anything was wrong with either of the units I sent in. They just did their thing and sent it back to me. No little notes saying "ok we fixed this, or that was wrong" nada. The customer service ladies are super nice, but not exactly super informative about what may have been fixed.

I have dropped it a handful of times, thank goodness for my sturdy leather sleeve. :) But also great points about things getting rattled loose inside. I've got some new batteries coming in that I'm going to charge up and give them a go, and see what happens. Your idea about the chip forgetting how long the 16 second cut off is, is something I have also considered. I was thinking about trying to time how long it fires before it cuts off. But since it is completely random when I does it, I don't think I would even be able to attempt to time it. One of the 2 units is still under warranty til March of next year, so I would hope that one would be covered. But the odd thing is, it happens on 2 seperate units. Which leads me to believe it may very well be the batteries.

I do certainly appreciate the input folks. Keep it coming!!

You don't mention what you are putting ON the Provari? It could be the juice delivery thing causing it to cut out?

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Alright, so here's what I can gather about the problem. Apparently my ProVari's do not like my 801 adapters. I can duplicate the problem across all 4 of my ProVari's, but it only occurs when I use my 801's. I put a 510 on it an it works like a champ, no misfires. I really hope ProVape can give me some answers about why my adapters would cause this, because all I use now is 801 fusions until all this Bogegate mess gets figured out. Hope this info can help someone else out there.

P.S. It only happens on my ProVari's. I put the 801's with adapters on my kicked BAM and my Opus and they work just fine. Just something about the the ProVari's don't like.

Guess I didn't read down far enough, I started reading and my first question was what you were using to deliver the juice :)

Bogegate is long over, I haven't had a problem with any I have bought in a while!

drewbalicious

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
I had considered the tolerances being a problem too. So first I put the adapter on the ProVari and then attached my tank, same problem. So then I attached the adapter to the tank and then screwed it into the ProVari, same deal. I've even put the tank on super tight, and so loose it's about to fall off and it still does it. If you are going to be using standard 510 stuff I don't see you having any of these problems. For my first year and a half of vaping all I used was 510 connections and the ProVari's never gave me a single problem. I still recommend them to everyone, they are fantastic PV's!

Again I'm no expert but MAYBE the tolerances (how perfect it fit's to the 801 "standard") may be off causing intermittent touches with the ground (-)?

maybe the material from which it is made heats up too much or just wastes power and the pro thinks like "oh oh better shut off".

Nice to know all the "problems" I may have after christmas :)))

drewbalicious

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
Guess I didn't read down far enough, I started reading and my first question was what you were using to deliver the juice :)

Bogegate is long over, I haven't had a problem with any I have bought in a while!

I had hoped it was over too. But I purchased some about a month ago and they were still bad, for me anyways. I've noticed that the ones that have just a bare wire showing inside, are bad ones. But the ones that have the coated wires (black) are still great. But it's great to hear that some people are still getting good ones. I'm just going to give it another few months and see how everything pans out.

GregoTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lewisville, TX
A bump in hopes that someone out there will have something helpful to tell me.

I've experienced something similar with my v2.5. It's only a month old though and I think it's just that the button is pretty stiff and requires a firm, direct press on center each time. YMMV.

drewbalicious

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
I never got a direct answer from Provape. But I think that's because they genuinely do not know, I don't hold it against them at all. For me it only does it when I'm rocking my 801 Fusions with an adapter. I've tried a handful of 510-801 adapters and it still does it. I've even sent it in to Provape about 4-5 times, still no direct solution. I've conceded defeat and just gotten used to it to be quite frank. Wanna these days I might switch back to regular 510 cartos, but for the time being I just live with it. :toast:

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
Came searching for info, and found your thread. I do not have an answer, but the blemished provari I received at end of January 2013 gives me intermittent e8 error codes. Sometimes it goes to code. Sometimes it won't fire the atty. It does not matter what atty I have on it. VVN, Smoketech RDA, Evod, 510 atty - drunker tank - does not matter. This Provari unit has a temper or a glitch or something.

No, I have not contacted ProVape about the issue, but I will contact them sometime this upcoming week.

Yes, I have three ProVari's, so I know what they should and should not do.

Gotta' love a mystery :)
Paula

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
Welcome to the mystery then Paula. :toast: I just think mine is a toddler. Sometimes it just says nope, not gonna fire. Try again later. :laugh:

LOL - I like the toddler analogy. Wonder how many of 'us' there are with this issue? If ProVape gets several complaints on this issue, I have a feeling they will get to the bottom of it. I have 1000000% confidence in ProVape and their products. They are not perfect, nothing is, but they do stand behind their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread