Part III: The "Newish" member Contest for Awareness --- Double the prizes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Indiana
I had a phone interview with the Indianapolis Star about my conversion to ecigs and the negative impact of including ecigs in the no smoking ban being proposed by Marion County. Had it not been for this contest, I would still be pulling my credit card out to buy more vaping gear instead of speaking out to educate others. This contest is the bee's knees!

:vapor:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
There is a bill that was introduced into Congress in July which would use increased tobacco taxes to help fund special education.
S. 1403: IDEA Full Funding Act

The problem with this bill is that it will increase taxes on tobacco products so that all such products are taxed at the same rate as cigarettes. What is disgusting about that is that taxes on tobacco products were originally intended to be in relation to the harm that they cause. This bill would completely and totally pervert that initial intention, and ignore completely the concept of tobacco harm reduction.

The good news is that for the purposes of this bill electronic cigarettes are not yet officially considered tobacco products at this time. The bad news is that electronic cigarettes could in the future be considered tobacco products for the purposes of this bill. And the FDA has already announced that they are considering doing just that.

What needs to happen for the electronic cigarettes to be considered tobacco products for the purposes of this bill?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next question will be asked on Monday, January 9th at 11am PST
------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: If nobody has the right answer yet then a hint will be posted at 2pm
EDIT: :)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
IThrenodyI said:
That was a hard one...
Yes, that was one of the harder questions I've asked.
I had an easier one lined up, but didn't get the email I was waiting for in time.
:)

The other answer I would have accepted would have come from the text of the bill itself...

Other Tobacco Products- Any product not otherwise described under this section that has been determined to be a tobacco product by the Food and Drug Administration through its authorities under the Family Smoking Prevention and Control Act shall be taxed at a level of tax equivalent to the tax rate for cigarettes on an estimated per use basis as determined by the Secretary.

That text could have been accessed through the link I posted, and that also would have been the 2pm hint.
S. 1403: IDEA Full Funding Act
:)

I'll check back later if you have any links to post or anything...interesting stuff!
Since you ask, here is a thread about this subject...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...5-massive-smokeless-tobacco-tax-increase.html

And also, I hope everyone clicks the link in the question, and uses Popvox to voice their opinion about this bill.
Those that oppose the bill currently stand at 90% compared to 10% that are in favor.

Spartan8029

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
Wichita, KS
Hmmm, I thought IT already got it since she was on a role, lol. I will try my best to be here at 1 Monday but these ladies are just to darn good! The warrior ethos I've been taught to live by states I will never accept defeat however I will admit IT has me thinking about it. I'm going to do my best for this one and all contests you decide to do, not to mention I've been learning a lot about the laws and legislation regarding e cigs, you're intended purpose of this contest is working bro.

My hat goes off to both of you ladies, you've done outstanding! Thanks again DC2 for this opportunity, I think I'll stick around and take my beating like a man! :D

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
There has been a very slow shift over the last few years in media perception and attitude towards electronic cigarettes. Before the FDA press release in 2009 electronic cigarettes were hardly even registering on the media radar. That press release from the FDA, which purposely presented their test results of selected electronic cigarette cartridges in the most negative light possible, ushered in the the "anti freeze" and "carcinongens" era. From that point forward the media simply parroted the FDA press release, and constantly offered up the FDA negative spin for public consumption. But as more and more people tell their stories of success with electronic cigarettes, more and more media outlets are taking a deeper look and presenting a more balanced picture of electronic cigarettes.

But one thing that has remained constant from the very start is the attitude of "health" organizations and the Tobacco Control industry. Due to their hidden motivations, discussed in previous contest questions, it seems unlikely that their attitude will ever change. And equally unlikely, it seems, is that their fight to bury electronic cigarettes and other harm reduction options will ever stop. But recently, there was actually one Tobacco Control organization that seems to have had a change of heart, and has actually come out with some form of quasi-support for electronic cigarettes by indicating that their position has changed.

For this question, name that Tobacco Control organization.
And just as a hint, this organization actually has the words "Tobacco Control" in their name.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next question will be asked on Wednesday, January 11th at 2pm PST
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread