Status
Not open for further replies.

Lab

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Indiana
e-cigdecals.weebly.com
Well after all this there is no nicotine intake from e-cigs maybe a simple test could draw more light onto this.. why not forum users pick up a test kit.. online they are $4 probably $10 in the stores..

this would only be accurate for people that only use e-cigs and everyone post there average usages and the test results

Skully7780

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
hartford, ct
Well after all this there is no nicotine intake from e-cigs maybe a simple test could draw more light onto this.. why not forum users pick up a test kit.. online they are $4 probably $10 in the stores..

this would only be accurate for people that only use e-cigs and everyone post there average usages and the test results

Suggested this also, nobody wants to spend the $4 it seems.

tarheeldan

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Dover, NH
Hey, I would definitely do this - we'd need a standardized setup though, to make the effort mean anything. i.e. we could take a read when we wake up, then record details about our vape (model, nic strength, liquid supplier, duration, # of pulls and length of pull, etc.). Then take nicotine levels after some pre-determined duration. The more we could standardize the different variables, the better of course but not all of us might have a certain strength liquid available. Nicotine has a short half-life, so either of you know a cheap way to test for cotinine? Having both would be even better.

Skully7780

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
hartford, ct
Hey, I would definitely do this - we'd need a standardized setup though, to make the effort mean anything. i.e. we could take a read when we wake up, then record details about our vape (model, nic strength, liquid supplier, duration, # of pulls and length of pull, etc.). Then take nicotine levels after some pre-determined duration. The more we could standardize the different variables, the better of course but not all of us might have a certain strength liquid available. Nicotine has a short half-life, so either of you know a cheap way to test for cotinine? Having both would be even better.

Honestly that does not matter much, what we need is someone who is HONEST that they have not had a single ciggerette for over a month, thake the piss test and see if a positive is returned. If you are not a lab, I wouldn't suggest doing a study as it -will- be flawed.

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
i didn't know there were such easily available tests; i'm more than willing to spend $4 to try it.

granted, the 'results' will still be anecdotal because there's no truly controlled environment, but this is a great solution for people who are personally interested in whether they, as individuals, are absorbing nic.

in fact, i think i'll google the tests now, will make a good entry for the blog. thanks for the suggestion!

tarheeldan

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Dover, NH
Of course it's going to be flawed skully....but a scattergram of nicotine test results don't mean much without context as far as the levels. Sure, if we all send in results that show there IS nicotine in our system, that's good and well but doing the things I mention help interpret the data. I wasn't suggesting we perform a study with the kind of rigor you'd expect for publication - this is just for our edification. I'm a little hurt.

EDIT: these inexpensive test devices are pretty much binary (yes/no) so the above doesn't matter

Last edited:

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
Of course it's going to be flawed skully....but a scattergram of nicotine test results don't mean much without context as far as the levels. Sure, if we all send in results that show there IS nicotine in our system, that's good and well but doing the things I mention help interpret the data. I wasn't suggesting we perform a study with the kind of rigor you'd expect for publication - this is just for our edification. I'm a little hurt.

i agree--no, anecdotal 'self-tests' aren't going to be published in a journal. but our brainy scientist friends may take note. studies are often inspired by anecdotal reports, after all.

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
First of all I don't believe there is no nicotine in e-cigs. What else would it be that made me stop smoking? Second, I should know in a couple days if there is any nicotine in e-cigs. I changed life insurance policies last week and they took a saliva test. It's a little stick with a paddle on the end of it that stick between you cheek and gums for a minute. It's specifically testing for tobacco but I'm sure nicotine will show up too. We'll see.
Oh, and I havn't had a cigarette in over a year.

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
yeah, i'm wary of doing the binary tests even though they're cheaper because there's no way i'll avoid second hand smoke completely for a week before testing (my hubs still smokes occasionally). just to be clear, i have no doubts at all that i'm getting nic from vaping, i'd just like to "see" the proof and maybe do a series of blog posts on it, esp in light of the eissenburg study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread