Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Fatty ready to go onto the smoker. Filling is ground turkey, ham and Swiss cheese. Smoking with apple wood.

View attachment 418003

This just went into the smoker.

- 1 1/2lbs of macaroni shells
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups of shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 cups of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup of Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 pound bacon

The last 45 mins I will be putting more cheese and bacon on top.

View attachment 418061

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

gotalotgoingon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Nebraska/Dutch Harbor, AK
Hot off the smoker. Stepdad doesn't care much for cheese so I only used a couple slices in the fatty which is why it didn't ooze out when I cut into it. Next time I will make two, one with a lot of cheese and one with none.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida

PBOB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Austin, TX

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
Ok folks...it's time to bring this thread back to the top! Surely there's more people who cook here that can add to this thread?

Nanny22, I would love your recipe for Hillbilly Green Beans!! Lol
Bless your heart! Being from the South, I am sure you've had good Southern green beans MANY times. It's definitely not a secret recipe, but most Northern people only like their green beans very quickly cooked (just a few minutes, like steaming broccoli) and lightly seasoned. The "Down South way" is to cook those beans ALL DAY LONG! I normally buy about 4 pounds of fresh green beans, wash them and break them (removing the lower tip where the bean meets the stem it is growing from). In a large pot I fry up 6 strips of bacon (along with some bacon grease, and leftover ham, whatever is handy). As the bacon fries, I add minced onion, salt, garlic salt, pepper, dried onion flakes work well, too. You want this to brown enough to have a lot of flavor. Then I add 2 cans of chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all that good bacon drippings incorporated into the liquid, then add the fresh green beans and then fill with enough additional water just to cover the top of the beans. Bring to a boil, add 3 or 4 tablespoons of basil, put the lid on and simmer for a few hours. I check the beans often and let them cook until they are SOFT. Some varieties of beans accomplish this in just an hour, others take a bit longer. Summertime beans have plenty of flavor and don't need as much seasoning. Who knows where they get them from in the winter and due to that fact, you may need more seasoning, dried onion, pepper, etc.

I have fond memories of sitting on my grandmother's front porch swing down in Kentucky with my mom, aunts and grandmother, all breaking beans - laughing and talking for hours. Even the smallest children knew how to break beans! When all the beans were broken, my grandmother would spend a day or two canning them for the winter. It was a lot of work for her, I am sure, but even on the coldest days, they had the taste of summer at dinner time - and the memories of who helped break the beans that year. Poor woman, she did this not just with green beans, but also lots of other veggies from her garden and fruits for homemade pies, jams and jellies. She lived on her own til just 6 weeks shy of her 100th birthday, so there must be something good about it! Sorry this was so long!

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
Bless your heart! Being from the South, I am sure you've had good Southern green beans MANY times. It's definitely not a secret recipe, but most Northern people only like their green beans very quickly cooked (just a few minutes, like steaming broccoli) and lightly seasoned. The "Down South way" is to cook those beans ALL DAY LONG! I normally buy about 4 pounds of fresh green beans, wash them and break them (removing the lower tip where the bean meets the stem it is growing from). In a large pot I fry up 6 strips of bacon (along with some bacon grease, and leftover ham, whatever is handy). As the bacon fries, I add minced onion, salt, garlic salt, pepper, dried onion flakes work well, too. You want this to brown enough to have a lot of flavor. Then I add 2 cans of chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all that good bacon drippings incorporated into the liquid, then add the fresh green beans and then fill with enough additional water just to cover the top of the beans. Bring to a boil, add 3 or 4 tablespoons of basil, put the lid on and simmer for a few hours. I check the beans often and let them cook until they are SOFT. Some varieties of beans accomplish this in just an hour, others take a bit longer. Summertime beans have plenty of flavor and don't need as much seasoning. Who knows where they get them from in the winter and due to that fact, you may need more seasoning, dried onion, pepper, etc.

I have fond memories of sitting on my grandmother's front porch swing down in Kentucky with my mom, aunts and grandmother, all breaking beans - laughing and talking for hours. Even the smallest children knew how to break beans! When all the beans were broken, my grandmother would spend a day or two canning them for the winter. It was a lot of work for her, I am sure, but even on the coldest days, they had the taste of summer at dinner time - and the memories of who helped break the beans that year. Poor woman, she did this not just with green beans, but also lots of other veggies from her garden and fruits for homemade pies, jams and jellies. She lived on her own til just 6 weeks shy of her 100th birthday, so there must be something good about it! Sorry this was so long!

This sounds DELICIOUS!!

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC

O.M.G.... I have died and gone to heaven!!! This sounds sooo awesome!! I may just have to fork over the money this weekend to buy some fresh(I canned green beans every summer before I went back to work) green beans and cook up some using this recipe. Thanks sooo much for posting it Nanny!!! I :wub: you!!
ETA: Being the good southern girl that I am, I refuse to eat green beans that "squeak" when I bite into them.

Last edited:

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
O.M.G.... I have died and gone to heaven!!! This sounds sooo awesome!! I may just have to fork over the money this weekend to buy some fresh(I canned green beans every summer before I went back to work) green beans and cook up some using this recipe. Thanks sooo much for posting it Nanny!!! I :wub: you!!
:wub: you, too, Lynn!!
Next - fried corn and southern sweet tea! LOL. :laugh:

Ms.Cruzer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
Nanny - there's a lil of the South in you after all! That is almost exactly how we do fresh green beans down here except for two changes. A tad bit of liquid smoke in the broth/water and seasoned salt instead of basil and regular salt. And PLENTY of onion!!

That's the way to take a near perfect healthy food and add that one ingredient that fixes that. Bacon fat. LOL.

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA

I am from the south, but no one ever told me about this!!! I am cooking this before the week is over, and hopefully my 10 year old will finally like grean beans:p Thanks

empteeteacup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tampa, FL
Super Easy Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

1 large (29) ounce can sliced peaches - drained
2 sticks or 1 cup of butter - melted
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons baking powder

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°.
Pour drained can of peaches into skillet or 9x13 baking dish.
Pour melted butter over the peaches.
Mix sugar, flour, milk and baking powder together to form batter.
Pour batter over peaches and butter.
Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until top is golden brown and edges are crispy.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.

empteeteacup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tampa, FL
Not Yo Momma's Banana Pudding

Ingredients

1 (12 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups milk
1 (5 oz) box instant banana pudding mix
6 to 8 bananas, sliced
2 bags chessmen cookies

Preparation
Line the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top. In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

a wandering soul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
North Carolina
haropa guy

(spicy thai basil chicken)

2 lbs chicken boneless breasts or thighs
thai peppers to taste (i like to use about 5 or 6)
bunch of thai basil
bunch of cilantro (you wont use all so if you have some already.. no worries)
2 tsp soy
1 tbs fish sauce
a shallot
half a bulb to full bulb of garlic (ive made it w/ 2 bulbs and it was still nom nom good)
peanut oil and sesame oil
lime

as w/ any stir fry the trick is to prep everything first. food processors are your friend. mince the garlic and shallot... cut the chicken into small thin slices (the more surface area the better), i like to mince the peppers but slicing them up works too. Chiffonade the basil and cilantro

get wok going (large skillet works as well). By going i mean put it on high and wait until it starts smoking. once its smoking.. add peanut oil. let it roll around the wok for a a few seconds and toss in the garlic/shallot. stir like crazy for i dunno 15-20 seconds.. then toss in the chicken. stir a bit less frantically.. once roughly 50% of the chicken is white and not pink anymore toss in the peppers. stir again... once the chicken seems mostly white and not pink, then add soy and fish sauce. do this to taste... the amounts given are an estimate and vary depending on the quality of your soy and fish sauce (i like kikkoman for soy and golden boy for fish).

continue stirring... add 75% of the basil and stir... pour from wok into bowl. add remaining basil and cilantro. squeeze a half a lime to an entire lime (depending on how big it is.. and how much you like lime) and drizzle w/ sessame oil. stir a bit in the bowl until the cilantro and fresh basil are wilted.

serve over jasmine rice and add more sesame oil to taste. enjoy.

(this is taken from a thai peasant recipe so its pretty authentic.. if you have khaffir lime leaves you can use them in place or in addtion to lime juice)

once prepped the dish takes about 5 minutes to cook.

a wandering soul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
North Carolina
seared and braised pork chops w/ pan sauce (this one is super easy and doesnt require unique ingredients) but it does ideally require a pan that can go from stove top to oven)

get ya some thick chops. bone in or boneless depending on your preference.

season chops w/ salt, pepper, garlic salt and cayenne pepper on both sides.

preheat oven to 350

get a pan w/ some vegetable oil in it.. (not much.. just enough to cover the bottom) and get it going hot (on high) on the stove top.

add chops.. dont touch them for a good 2 minutes.. we are trying to get a good sear on them. once thats done on one side.. flip the chops

let them continue to sear another 90 seconds to 2 minutes and then deglaze w/ chicken or beef stock. (i do this w/ the chops in the pan)

add a small amount of lemon juice (half tsp to tsp)

optional (dash of soy or worsterchire)

put pan in oven and let cook a good 30 minutes or so. the size of your chop obviously affects this... once the chops are done, take them out and let them rest for 10 mins or so.

while they rest put the pan back on the stove top on high... add some butter and stir until sauce is desired thickness.. warning.. less is more w/ the butter.. too much and the sauce will separate and thats really not good.. or attractive...

for a nice presentation.. slice the chops and drizzle sauce all over them. yumtastic!

(you can do this w/ chicken as well... but its not quite as good and you need more butter in the sauce (due to chicken having less fat in it))

gotalotgoingon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Nebraska/Dutch Harbor, AK
IMG_0178.jpg

4 corned beef done with their 12hr ice water soak to remove the salt. 2 of them will be rubbed with mustard and the seasoning packets that came with them. 2 of them will be rubbed with pastrami seasoning and left to rest for a day in the frig. All 4 will be smoked tomorrow for about 10 hrs.

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
View attachment 421102

4 corned beef done with their 12hr ice water soak to remove the salt. 2 of them will be rubbed with mustard and the seasoning packets that came with them. 2 of them will be rubbed with pastrami seasoning and left to rest for a day in the frig. All 4 will be smoked tomorrow for about 10 hrs.

Wish I was near you! I haven't had decent pastrami since the last time I was in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread