Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
I love cooking! I thought it would be really cool if we share our favorite recipes...

**NO UNTESTED RECIPES!!** We're looking for your "mainstays" - stuff handed down from your mom/dad, grandma/grandpa, family, etc!

Pairings with your favorite liquid are also very welcome!

I'll get us started... ;)

My personal variant on my Mom's Spanish Rice!

1 pound of bacon
3 cups of Jasmine Rice
4.5 cups of Chicken Broth
1 can of Rotel Tomatoes (I like the Hot ones, but Mild works too)
1 large can of tomato juice
1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
1 green pepper, chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic (I just use a spoonful of minced/chopped garlic)

I use a rice cooker to make the rice - 1.5 cups of chicken broth per cup of jasmine rice is a good rule of thumb. If you have some saffron, this is a great opportunity to use it ;)

Brown bacon until crispy while the rice is cooking. Set aside - DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BACON GREASE!! ;)

Saute Onion+Pepper+Garlic+Rotel Tomatoes in in a dutch oven style pot on the stovetop (low/medium heat).

Add the rice to the dutch oven, mix well.

Add tomatoe juice to the bacon grease remaining in the flying pan used to fry the bacon, scrape the bottom of the pan if needed, pour the tomato juice/bacon grease mixture over the rice, mix well, Bake at 350 (covered) for 45minutes.

Top with your choice of shredded cheeses ;)

Vape of Choice = The Virus

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'll be along side solace.discord stealing recipes haha. My mom can't cook, she even burns oven pizzas :facepalm:
My dad never cooked much unless it was stuff on a grill. My grandparents, well I wasn't old enough to remember them. Not much of a family person as you can tell haha. I don't know any other family except for a couple uncles and aunts.

I will say one thing I love cooking is chicken fajitas. It was a recipe I found online

3-4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 tsp Taco seasoning
2 Bell peppers in assorted colors, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 Red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1-2 Tbsp Oilve oil
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar or Mexican Blend Cheese

Then about 35-45 minutes at 375 degrees.

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
I've got one. My mom and I got this recipe from a friend of a friend. Both of us has taken this to gatherings and have always gotten great reviews. And the beauty of this recipe is by itself will feed 10 people easily(yes we've tested it) but with a few adjustments will feed more.

A Different Taco Salad
2 lbs of ground hamburger
1 can kidney beans, drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 head of lettuce, shredded or chopped. Your preference
Chopped tomatoes, again, the amount is your preference
Onions, either chopped or shredded. These you can serve on the side instead of mixing in for those that don't like onions
1 small jar of Miracle Whip, and it has to be Miracle Whip..mayo doesn't taste right
1 small jar of taco sauce
1 bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos

First, mix the Miracle Whip and taco sauce to combine. Refrigerate until chilled. Brown the meat and drain( I rinse my hamburger to get rid of excess fat), then add the drained kidney beans. Cook until the beans are heated. Then remove from heat and allow to cool. Meanwhile shred the lettuce, chop the tomatoes and onions, if using. In a very large bowl place the lettuce, tomatoes and onions. Add the meat and bean mixture. Then sprinkle the cheese on top. Crush the Doritos and place on top of the bowl of veggies and meat. Add the dressing and mix well. At home, I do everything individually so folks can mix their own.

Last edited:

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
My mom and I learned to cook from my Great Aunt so everything feeds 20 or more. And unfortunately I have only memorized recipes that I do by feel. It makes it hard to tell my husband how to make something with directions like "Oh, just add enough" or "It's kinda a bag full but not all of it, leave a bit out" :lol:

hammer of the gods

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
pasta with chicken and Thai peanut sauce-

1 lb bucatini pasta (linguine or a thick spaghetti will do)
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tbl black soy sauce (regular soy sauce will do if black isn't available)
1 tbl fish sauce
2-3 tbl sriracha (really to taste, but even if you don't like spicy food add a little for the flavor)
1 tbl FRESH ginger (none of that crappy powered ....) (well if your not a food snob I guess the powered .... will do in a pinch)
1 tbl sesame oil
1 lb chicken, cubed
2 cups heavy cream
snow peas and carrots cut into matchsticks (as much as you want)
salt and pepper to taste

cook the pasta then set aside (cool it off under running water first to keep it from over cooking)

in a sauce pan combine peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, ginger, and sesame oil
heat until peanut butter "melts" and everything comes together into a sauce

in a large saute pan cook chicken in a little bit of oil till half way cooked
add the peanut sauce and continue to cooking until chicken is fully cooked
still in heavy cream then carrots and snow peas simmer until the sauce has thickened back up
stir in pasta
enjoy

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
Here is one the girl's at my wife's office really love when I make it for them.
I usually make at least a double of the below recipe.

Greek Pasta salad

1 1/2 tablespoons salt
Braille penne 1 LB has ridges
2 cups medium diced seedless cucumber, lightly sprinkled with salt
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes, lightly sprinkled with salt
Red bell pepper
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped coarse
1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Ground black pepper
Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add salt and pasta to the boiling water. Using back-of-the-box times as a guide, cook pasta until just tender. Drain pasta (do not rinse), pour into a shallow baking pan, and cool to room temperature.
When ready to serve, place pasta, cucumber, tomatoes, feta, olives, onion, and oregano in a large bowl, Add oil; toss to coat. Add vinegar and pepper to taste; toss to coat. Adjust seasonings and serve.

grover868

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2014
Modesto, CA, USA
I don't cook much because luckily Linda loves to feed me. :laugh: But sometimes she will request my Cream Brulee French Toast for breakfast. It takes a while to make, because the the dish is refrigerated overnight. After baking, you won’t need any syrup for this French toast, but to us, it is well worth the time. Oh yeah, and you need a round loaf of bread that is not cut.

Butter for the dish
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 round country-style bread loaf not sliced
6 eggs
1 3/4 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Pour the mixture into the dish.
3. Slice the ends off the bread. Cut six 1.5 inch slices of bread and arrange in a single layer on the sugar mixture, placing them so they fit snuggly in the dish.
4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until well blended. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread. Cover tightly with wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning, remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish. Let the dish sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
7. Bake the dish for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Believe me, your eyes will tell you when it is done.
8. Scarf down.

Last edited:

empteeteacup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tampa, FL
This is Ina Garten's recipe, but I make them all the time. Love me some ginger :)

Ultimate Ginger Cookies

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups chopped crystallized ginger (6 ounces)
Granulated sugar, for rolling the cookies

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt and then combine the mixture with your hands. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses on medium speed for 5 minutes. Turn the mixer to low speed, add the egg, and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat for 1 more minute. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the crystallized ginger and mix until combined.

Scoop the dough with 2 spoons or a small ice cream scoop. With your hands, roll each cookie into a 1 3/4-inch ball and then flatten them lightly with your fingers. Press both sides of each cookie in granulated sugar and place them on the sheet pans. Bake for exactly 13 minutes. The cookies will be crackled on the top and soft inside. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
So........the Nicoticket diet thread is coming when???? :unsure:

Grover and emptee those sound amazing! :drool:

In fact everything sounds amazing!!!! :ohmy:

A surfer named John Peck got me interested in Quinoa years ago. Here is a recipe I came up with. It's quite tasty and healthy.

Red onion diced
Two cloves of garlic minced
Two Serrano peppers diced
Sauté garlic,red onion and Serrano peppers in pan with virgin olive oil then add quinoa and organic chicken stock to cover. 2 cups of stock for one cup of Bob's red mills organic whole grain quinoa grain. Cover pan and simmer until you see the quinoa sprouts. Sometimes while it is cooking I will add an extra pinch of salt.

AStilettoHeel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2014
San Diego, California, United States
My mom and I learned to cook from my Great Aunt so everything feeds 20 or more. And unfortunately I have only memorized recipes that I do by feel. It makes it hard to tell my husband how to make something with directions like "Oh, just add enough" or "It's kinda a bag full but not all of it, leave a bit out" :lol:

This is exactly how I cook as well.

Dahomey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Illinois
Mushroom Streudal. Yummm, nummers! It has grated mushrooms, pork and Italian sausage (squeezed out of the casing), Philadelphia cream cheese, onion, butter and garlic. Mixed and browned in skillet. Then get some filo leaves (put 'em on a damp cloth), butter the filo and fill it with the sausage & cheese mixture. Bake these babies 'till they're brown and flaky. It is very rich but it is DA bomb! Seriously! :) Oh yeah, member to freeze some for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread