Newb looking to move from eGo to mechcanical mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
Go with a variable voltage or variable wattage PV first. These have protective circuitry in them that will help prevent you blowing your face off. Also, being able to control the voltage/wattage is nice as you can dial in a very nice vape. Which one to get? Doesn't matter, because if you understand Ohm's law, you understand you are really buying the same thing; the only difference is if the voltage for a desired wattage is being calculated for you by the PV.

Mechanical mods are essentially a battery in a tube with a switch. Those who understand their battery's Amperage, Ohm's law, and how to combine that with a (safe) resistance is loved by some for its Spartan simplicity.

I would guess you are really talking about wanting to step up to a PV that takes batteries you can replace - instead of replacing the whole shebang. Get one with some smart electronics in it. They are much safer and frankly, easier to use.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Go with a variable voltage or variable wattage PV first. These have protective circuitry in them that will help prevent you blowing your face off. Also, being able to control the voltage/wattage is nice as you can dial in a very nice vape. Which one to get? Doesn't matter, because if you understand Ohm's law, you understand you are really buying the same thing; the only difference is if the voltage for a desired wattage is being calculated for you by the PV.

Mechanical mods are essentially a battery in a tube with a switch. Those who understand their battery's Amperage, Ohm's law, and how to combine that with a (safe) resistance is loved by some for its Spartan simplicity.

I would guess you are really talking about wanting to step up to a PV that takes batteries you can replace - instead of replacing the whole shebang. Get one with some smart electronics in it. They are much safer and frankly, easier to use.

You are correct on the HZ and MHZ, it's not been one of my better days for sure, my bad.
As for the Evic, I can't say, I've not seen the review. When I was looking for mine, Thanksgiving, the Evic had just come out and initial reports weren't all that great on it. The Evic was $149 (at that time) the SS Zmax was $80 (again, at that time) and the Provari was $160. It wasn't a hard decision to make, at that time, now, I can't say I'd have made the same choice as money is very tight on my end!

RagingCheese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
But you'd better jump on one quick, I was just informed today they will no longer be making them, what's on the site is what's left and there won't be any more!

Watch a review on youtube and looks like a very promising mod, but after everyone's opinion on here, I dont think I'm ready for a mechanical just yet.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Watch a review on youtube and looks like a very promising mod, but after everyone's opinion on here, I dont think I'm ready for a mechanical just yet.

I agree, I was just letting them know they are doomed to extinction! I had a buddy over tonight, he's been through it all as well, finally got a Zmax and is happy with it. His son is starting to take an interest in vaping and he was asking me about mechanicals and what I'd recommend to his son. I told him, same as I've said here, "I recommend VV or VW to someone starting out just so they can use what they can buy! In this day and age of vaping, the supply of what you want/need isn't always there, VV gives you the option to make the best of what you can get ahold of!"
I then showed him my point, I let him hit my Legacy with a 1.8 ohm carto tank, it hit good, nice warm vapor and decent vapor production, I then switched it to a 2.8 ohm carto tank, decent vapor production, but in his words "It's just lacking something!" Then with his Vmax set at 8 watts he tried the two again and noticed no difference at all between them!
Unfortunately this is a real world concern, I'm a huge Ikkenvape fan boy, but his stock moves so quick you really have to be on the ball to get what you want, or it's out of stock for a long while! Many other vendors have the same problem as well, you can buy carto's in 2.5 ohm, but anything under that is always sold out! Anything above 2 ohms on a mechanical isn't right, IMO! 1.5-1.8 is really the sweet spot for my tastes.
So unless you are willing to hunt and search for the right caro's, the right atties, or really want to play with RBA's, VV or VW gives you a lot more room to work in. As I've said in this thread, it seems I'm terribly hard on mods, so depending on the outcome of what happened to my Provari, I may very well have to stick with mechanicals just so I can't break them!

NomDePlume

Aug 9, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a newbie as well. Equally important to me is how my mod looks and how it performs. Only by buying my current mod (kCig 100) am I starting to develope my likes n dislikes about certain mods. Unless your salesperson is good, more than likely you are gonna b at least partially disappointed with your first mod. I found out that I don't like having to drip very often and rebuilding is inconvenient mostly because I do not know how yet. Gotta b willing to put more time into this. But.... Looking forward to it

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
ok please explain i'm a newbie been vaping e-vic for 6 months now and i still don't understand what mods are for? i know it's mechanical so what does that means i can't change the volyage or sumthin...i just wondering cuz to be honest my e-vic with a smoktech rsst atomizer is good nuff i guess

It's not necessarily a mechanical, it's anything that uses a replaceable battery, for simplifications sake. An Ego is a bit of a "mod" as it used to be anything bigger than the cig-alikes were considered mods back when.
Mechanicals, anything without electronics in them, do not allow you to change voltage, the mods with electronics in them, Provari, Zmax, Evic, etc. allow you to adjust either voltage or wattage to suit your taste.

Tony_B

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
mASSachusetts
I'm not going to read 8 pgs of replies, but I just went from a simple ego/clearomiser setup to a VAMO V3. SOOO simple to use! I also picked up a vivi nova and a Kanger Pro tank2. I like both of them, But I'm leaning towards the Pro Tank as my fav. It draws a little easier, and the vapes are cooler. Maybe with different juices, I may prefer a warm vape, but I have a few fruity juices now, and I like them cool.
Hope that helps a little.

RagingCheese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Alright guys so I think I am going to settle with a Provari or Provari Mini. I just bought a bunch of different juices at MtBakerVapor and now looking to pick up a ProTank2 and IBTanked Pyrex cartotank. I figure I also buy extra Boge cartomizers and replacement coils, but dont know which ohms to get. What are the most "popular" ohms strengths to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread