New York State issues 3 Bills to: Impose 75% or 95% tax on Ecigs, Ban E-Liquid, Ban Ecig Use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I sure hope its dead as well. Hannon and every other senator that voted for this bill should be ousted from office.

Is there a list of votes yea/nay someplace from the senate vote? I looked on the site but didnt see it.

So, when is the next election? Primary? Even if you don't have enough people to make a difference on ALL who voted for it, folks might want to work for opponents of at LEAST the author and cosponsors. Send a message.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I sure hope its dead as well. Hannon and every other senator that voted for this bill should be ousted from office.

Is there a list of votes yea/nay someplace from the senate vote? I looked on the site but didnt see it.

one of them:

Prohibits the sale or provision of any quantity of electronic liquid used to refill an electronic cigarette or cartridge

S6939B-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale or provision of any quantity of electronic liquid used to refill an electronic cigarette or cartridge - New York State Senate

Ayes (39): Addabbo, Avella, Bonacic, Boyle, Breslin, Carlucci, Diaz, Dilan, Espaillat, Felder, Flanagan, Gianaris, Gipson, Hannon, Hoylman, Kennedy, Klein, Krueger, Lanza, Larkin, LaValle, Marcellino, Martins, Montgomery, O'Brien, O'Mara, Parker, Peralta, Perkins, Rivera, Robach, Sampson, Sanders, Serrano, Skelos, Squadron, Stavisky, Stewart-Cousins, Valesky

Nays (19): Ball, DeFrancisco, Farley, Gallivan, Griffo, Grisanti, Latimer, Libous, Little, Marchione, Maziarz, Nozzolio, Ranzenhofer, Ritchie, Savino, Seward, Tkaczyk, Young, Zeldin

Excused (3): Golden, Hassell-Thomps, Smith

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Thanks Kent! I actually did just find it myself and was coming back to post it. Glad you did.

Seems my conversations with Gallivans aides were not in vain. He voted against it. Alot of the western new york area senators voted no and Im glad to see that.

I did check the nys assembly site and it says that this bill was referred to the Assembly committee on health. I guess that would mean its too late for a vote this session but it will likely also mean its not totally dead. Not sure tho. Maybe CASAA will chime in with more info.

Fitzie

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Staten Island, NY, USA
Even if the legislation doesn't pass this session, it's not entirely dead. Per the NYC Bar Association:

"If a bill does not become law by the end of a two-year legislative term, it is considered “dead” and its assigned bill number no longer exists. At the start of the next session, legislators often reintroduce these bills (without change), at which time they receive new bill numbers."

While the legislative session ended on Thursday, apparently (per the NY Times) some votes will take place early Friday morning.

I am very surprised my Senator voted no. She's on the Health Committee and seemed gung-ho in favor of the proposed e-cig legislation during the sham committee hearing held in May by Senator Hannon.

The next election in NYS is this November - includes Governor and the entire Senate and Assembly.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Thanks Kent! I actually did just find it myself and was coming back to post it. Glad you did.

Seems my conversations with Gallivans aides were not in vain. He voted against it. Alot of the western new york area senators voted no and Im glad to see that.

I did check the nys assembly site and it says that this bill was referred to the Assembly committee on health. I guess that would mean its too late for a vote this session but it will likely also mean its not totally dead. Not sure tho. Maybe CASAA will chime in with more info.

Seems like my sister is right, you can't change minds but you can change hearts. I betcha a lot of these folks had not realized that e-liquids were the NORMAL way to vape if you're not buying from BT, and are only .6%- 3.6% nicotine instead of "pure nicotine adulterated with chemicals."

If NY State is anything like California, you need to reach your health committee members BEFORE the bill gets actually SCHEDULED for a health committee hearing. I'd suggest telling your story AND giving them this: Clive Bates's mythbuster doc

Also, I doubt this would be needed but if anybody thinks a drop of eliquid is super-poisonous, I looked up what happens when people drink pure acetic acid and it has a 30% death rate IIRC. So, what if it is 5% acetic acid instead? That's vinegar. We put it on salad. (BTW traces of acetic acid is one of the horrible things they keep saying are in ecig vapor. Oh, NO! Ban salads!)

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
My senator in NY is CARL L. MARCELLINO. I sent him an email expressing my extreme disappointment with his decision to support this bill, stressing the idea that e-cigs, while possibly not 100% safe, are safer alternatives to smoking and more effective than currently approved smoking cessation products (and less toxic than Chantix). I also told him I would no longer support him in any future elections.

I'm sure it won't matter to him, but I felt it necessary to express my extreme disappointment in his decision.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Or, you need to SUPPORT whoever voted no on this regardless of their previous vote, because this would be more damaging, and because when they "get it" they need to be treated differently than the ones that did not "get it."

We are a tiny minority, in order to make a political difference we have to do more than vote. We need to volunteer a half-day for the election committees of people we support. Those who vote on our side should get the 4 hours, and an opposing candidate should get the 4 hours in the case of non-listeners. Even if it doesn't change the election outcome, it changes how hard they have to work for their votes, which means it gets their attention. Just causing a candidate to win by a smaller margin than expected can get noticed.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Here is an excellent site that allows you to follow bills in any state.

LegiScan | Bringing People to the Process

Sign up for one vote, the free part, and you can follow a bill in your home state as it works its way through the legislature.

Search for "electronic cigarette" and you'll get a list of any mention in any bill or resolution that mentions them. Anything of real interest should have a 97%+ match in the first column.

You can search other states but without paying it won't follow them for you.

Just another freebie that can help us keep up with the ANTZ and their agenda.

:D:vapor:

Last edited:

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
NY politics is Disneyland meets the Far Side and expecting reality and reason. All of those 'yes' votes are the same people that pushed thru the unSafe Act, at midnight, behind closed doors, without public discussion, and got away with it due to some "emergency of necessity". They can and will do it again. Don't think that the only people that are upset with them and their antics are just vapers. A very very large number of people are incensed with these people and will always remember unSafe and how they do things. A November surprise is on order. Waiting patiently for the delivery.

Way to go Marchione !!! In both cases.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Here is an excellent site that allows you to follow bills in any state.

LegiScan | Bringing People to the Process

Sign up for one vote, the free part, and you can follow a bill in your home state as it works its way through the legislature.

Search for "electronic cigarette" and you'll get a list of any mention in any bill or resolution that mentions them. Anything of real interest should have a 97%+ match in the first column.

You can search other states but without paying it won't follow them for you.

Just another freebie that can help us keep up with the ANTZ and their agenda.

:D:vapor:

In California you can go to leginfo.ca.gov and sign up for any bill for free. (We have a lot of web programmers in this state.....)

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Here is the letter I wrote to my Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi:

I understand that S6939 has passed the Senate and will presumably be going
to committee in the Assembly. This foolishness must be stopped in it's
tracks.

I was a 35+ year heavy smoker who was able to stop because of using an
electronic cigarette as a nicotine replacement. I had tried many other
methods, none of them worked. I am sure you are aware of how dangerous and
costly a problem smoking is. There are many studies and data that indicate
that e-cigarettes represent the most effective smoking cessation method by
a large number over others.

While the need for some regulation of e-liquid for the safety of the
public is understandable, the complete ban of it is obviously not the
answer.

The legislature just passed and the Governor is signing a bill to legalize
the use of medical *censored* which includes the vaporization of oils.
*censored* is still considered a schedule 1 illegal substance under Federal
law. Nicotine is a legal substance in all 50 States.

I do not know what your position on this bill happens to be, but I expect
you will, as a reasonable person, see that it is stopped and a more common
sense approach is proposed.

His reply to me:

It looks like this bill died in the Assembly,

Thank you,

Anthony Brindisi

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The NY State legislature officially adjourned on Friday, with ALL of the many unwarranted Assembly and Senate bills to ban or restrict e-cigs dying a well deserved death.

Not sure when the next NY legislative session begins, but its probably in January or February of 2015.

Since many/most of these ANTZ bills are likely to be reintroduced next year, NY vapers need to contact (and preferably meet with) their Senator(s) and Assembly member(s), informing them of the facts about e-cigs and vaping, and urging them to oppose these bills next session.

Don't know if Sen. Kemp Hannon faces reelection in November. But if so, NY vapers need to educate his election opponent(s) and constituents about Hannon's bills, as well as his not allowing vapers or vape shop owners to testify at the so-called public hearing he held on his anti e-cig bills.

Assembly woman Linda Rosenthal's election opponent and constituents should also be educated about her 4 years of lying about e-cigs, and her efforts to ban e-cig sales to, and use by adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread