New York State issues 3 Bills to: Impose 75% or 95% tax on Ecigs, Ban E-Liquid, Ban Ecig Use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Does anyone have a simple list of all the email addresses to send a normal email to, as opposed to go here, fill in comments and hit send. I'm not from NY so I don't have a rep in this but I would like to send an email blast to them all, with the same letter I just sent to the Gov using his webpage form:

I wanted to take a moment to let you know how grateful I, and all of Connecticut, am for your legislation regarding e-liquid. This will be quite the boon to our local businesses, especially border shops.

For so many years, we lost a lot of revenue to your state due to our outdated liquor laws but now that we're on par with those, it's time we got a little something back from you. And if you are going to be so short-sighted as to ban nicotine liquid for adults, and New Jersey wants to tax the heck out of it? Well, all I can say to the tens of thousands of vapers in the tri-state area is..... Welcome to Connecticut!

The vapers will be healthier, CT will be wealthier, and you think that's wise :)

Thanks again!

Fitzie

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Staten Island, NY, USA
Oh, I'm not gonna quit by any means. Just disappointed to be dissed by so called public "servants." For me, even a canned reply would be preferable to none. I guess politicians these days only respond to moneyed interests and lobbyists, not just plain old voters. I'm old enough to remember when this wasn't the case and voters' input did make a difference (especially if the politician was in your district).

T0rtitude

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
NYS
All of New York State, I'm sorry to say. I hope the Assembly gets hung up on the medical "herb" issue for the rest of the week. I've had my fingers crossed the legislative session would end this week without action on e-cigs. At least that would put it off until the next legislative session.

Cuomo rejected it today so they will have plenty of time this week for other bills now. :( There are some evil evil people in charge in this state. I wish we could saw off NYC and drop it the ocean like Bugs Bunny did to Florida. :(

Fitzie

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Staten Island, NY, USA
Cuomo rejected it today so they will have plenty of time this week for other bills now. :( There are some evil evil people in charge in this state. I wish we could saw off NYC and drop it the ocean like Bugs Bunny did to Florida. :(

Umm, I agree that NYS politicians leave a lot to be desired. Particularly, our governor (and my new mayor). Though you're entitled to your opinion (and I'll say no more on the subject), the upstate/NYC "hate" thing is tired. I've lived both upstate (various places) and in NYC and I've enjoyed living everywhere in the state despite our lackluster government.

By the way, Senator Hannon is behind this entire mess with vaping. He's from Long Island.

As far as medical herbs, I'm for it, so I'm sorry to see Cuomo squashed it. I find his argument that the state police are against it to be total baloney and a cop out as he's up for re-election this year. I didn't vote for him last time and won't this time either. All he really wants is to position himself to run for President.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
I can't tell by the wording of this bill, but would this ban online sales from out of state, shipping to a person in NY?
I've emailed my Assemblyman, but I need to know if I should stock up on nic base or if I will still be able to order e-liquid online.

This whole bill is a hobbled together sham aimed at benefitting big tobacco, lining the politicians pockets and ruining many small businesses that have been popping up all over NY... it's a disgrace and I am ashamed to live in this state.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Im no lawyer but the way it reads says that it will be illegal to sell or freely give away eliquid unless you have registered with the health commissioner and have been given permission by the comissioner to do so as a licensed vendor. Although I see no licenseing or registration requirements/structure in this bill.

I so not see anything relating to a purchase or use ban. So if you are buying you are doing so from out of state, out of the country, or making your own liquids for personal consumption. You just cant sell it or give it to anyone else. Not even a family member or you will be subject to a $500 fine.

Frankly, what I think NY vendors should do is simply increase the price of each bottle by $0.50 and create themselves a fund to pay off future fines and just keep running their business. If they get busted they will get a ticket, big deal. They cant seize anything. This bill doesnt give law enforcement or the health department any jurisdiction to do so.

Its more bark than bite, imo but its still horrible. If NY passes this you WILL see actual USE BANS passing all over the USA within months.

ABeautifulDisaster

Mar 23, 2011
NY
I haven't read the whole thread, so not sure if anyone is also in my district, my Assemblyman is Palmesano. I just called his Albany office and spoke with 'Liz', he is in session but I inquired as to his position on this. She said that they have been getting some letters and phone calls about it, and she mentioned it to him this morning, but she is still unclear on his position. We chatted for a bit and she later said he may be on the fence about it, but that the overwhelming majority of calls/letters they are receiving are opposed to it, and although she is not even a smoker, she had told him how she felt it did seem to help a lot of people. So she's on our side at least, lol, not sure how much that matters but it can't hurt. We had a nice chat about the issue and she is going to find out his position and call me back to let me know. I advised her that if he is on the fence or for the measure, that I would love to speak with him, etc etc.

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
It's the natural way to go for governments. If tax is dropping because due to falling cigarette sales, and if the falling cigarette sales are due to many turning to vaping, then the natural route is to tax e-liquid. It'll be called a "preventative tax" or something. But in reality, it's to replace the tax being lost by cigarette sales. So unfair.

I guess before long, there will be other routes for us vapers. Other routes to DIY. The only other option is to vape 0mg. I can't see how 0mg liquid can be legally taxed at 75% or above.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Yeah I am a NY resident and I make my own juice.. I am getting worried that if this bill passes I won't be able to order nic base to NY - not sure if that will be a thing or not. Also I am getting nervous on the entire ban of the sale of concentrated nicotine for DIY. Gonna be stocking up a lot of 100mg/ml nic base soon!

Also, technically 0mg nic juice can be sold as flavor enhancers for coffee or other beverages. Plus, it actually probably would taste pretty good haha.

Kataphraktos

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
Not sure if this is appropriate, but here's what I wrote to Sheldon Silver today:

"Hello, I write this brief message to request that you consider voting against the above mentioned legislation before the NY Senate, which would ban all sales of e-liquids in NY. I have successfully used electronic cigarettes to get many people to quit smoking. Banning this product would in all likelihood lead most of these people back to smoking.

Furthermore, the logic behind this legislation is seriously flawed. Allegedly, e-liquids are a poison threat to children. In that case, we should be banning toothpaste, which poisons hundreds of times more people every year, and is directly and deliberately marketed to children. We should also ban all household cleaning products and countless other chemicals found in many homes that, if consumed, could pose a health risk.

Sir, I understand that, in the grand scheme of things, this issue is probably of little significance when compared to other legislation being considered. But the potential for e-cigarettes to ween countless millions off of cigarettes and provide to these people a less harmful alternative would be seriously compromised if this ill-considered legislation based on no logical reasoning or data is passed.

I welcome reasonable legislation that will keep such products out of the hands of children, and regulations requiring child-proof packaging. However, banning e-liquids while continuing to allow the sale and marketing of cigarettes would be, frankly, medieval.

Please also note that Big Tobacco is about to launch their own e-cigarette products nationwide this week. The e-liquid container they use in their sub-standard products is exempted under the legislation mentioned above. This would mean that small mom & pop businesses would be shuttered by this law (including many in NY State), and the market would be handed over to Big Tobacco. This fact would make for poor headlines for those voting in favor of this law, especially in this virulently anti-smoking environment.

Thank you for considering this opinion, and I hope to hear your voice of reason speaking out against these bills.

Most sincerely,"

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
This would mean that small mom & pop businesses would be shuttered by this law (including many in NY State), and the market would be handed over to Big Tobacco. This fact would make for poor headlines for those voting in favor of this law, especially in this virulently anti-smoking environment."

A well-written letter, especially with regard to the point above. Perhaps there are people on this forum who can get that message out in the press, along with a list of those who supported this wrongheaded bill. It's so blatantly clear that this ban is intended to support the interests of big tobacco and drive up sales tax revenues on tobacco products. If the general public can see that this is not so much a public health bill as it is an economic bill, maybe we could influence judicial support.

Then, all we'll need is a shark attorney to represent, pro-bono, all of the mom and pops who will suffer from this law by challenging it all the way to the State Supreme Court. Ultimately, that will be the only way to preserve our rights. Legislators are not listening, but justices might. There HAS to be some kind of legal precedent to repeal a law banning a product because of a theory that it might be harmful, as opposed to actual proof. And when you factor in the fact that tobacco is still legal to buy, alcohol is still legal, pesticides are still legal, vitamins are still legal (and the science is out on them, too, just like e-juice)—the market is full of products that are KNOW to be hazardous and, yet, are not being aggressively targeted like e-cigs.

So how about it? Are there any good lawyers out there who would be willing to pick up this fight? Would any e-cig vendors be willing to join together to take this to the courts, if need be? I know I've done my part, with countless emails to legislators (in and out of NY), governors, health department chairs, newspapers, and even a plea to Consumer Reports to test e-cigs (which they rejected, citing the "niche market" being too small to be of importance to their publication). We consumers have done all we can. If this bill passes, it will be up to the vendors to take it the next necessary level.

Badmotorfinger

Apr 22, 2012
NY
I called my local Assemblyman & aired my grievances with his secretary. She told me she would be sure he got the message. I wonder if they even write any of it down. If this law passes I am going to harass Senator Kemp Hannon as much as I legally can. Show up at his speaking engagements and ask how much money big tobacco is paying him under the table to ban e-liquids. What a piece of garbage that guy is.

I see the NY assembly calendar lists June 19th as last day of sessions, does that mean if they dont vote on it in the assembly today the bill will die? until next year anyway??

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
I see the NY assembly calendar lists June 19th as last day of sessions, does that mean if they dont vote on it in the assembly today the bill will die? until next year anyway??

I heard from a source I cannot say (he is in the e-cig community) that he heard from the office of the Assembly of NYS that this bill was "dead" - whatever that means, I hope he is right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread