New Vamo V5 - Best of All Worlds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momtomater

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Iowa
The i2 charger is a fine choice and used by many, however I'd recommend the xtar-VP1 as it has some very nice features missing from the i2. It has a built-in volt meter and LCD readout, so you can always see the battery state. Two bays and monitors/charges each separate... also has an adjustable charge rate ... press a button to switch between 250ma, 500ma and 1amp. (It's better to use the lowest setting if you aren't in a hurry. Charges the battery slower, but extends its life.) This charger is very good for people new to buying separate batts because it takes all the guess work out of everything, and eliminates a separate volt meter. Also comes with a car adapter!

I got mine here Xtar VP1 Digital Charger (digital display) for $45 after the applied coupon code of FB10 which takes 10% off the sticker. Free shipping and the website owner is law enforcement and super nice and ships FAST. If you can swing the extra bucks for a superior charger, I'd highly recommend it.

EDIT: In case I didn't explain well enough, after charging batts it is recommended they be checked for their charge state with a volt meter to ensure everything is good. A bad batt won't take a full charge, so that could indicate a problem, and batts with problems can be dangerous. So after charging you're supposed to use a volt meter to check the batt.... pos probe on pos end of batt, neg probe on neg end of batt, and you read the volt meter. A fully charged 3.7v batt should read 4.2v but no more. (Overcharging is bad... reliable chargers will not overcharge.) If it reads 4.1 or 4.2, you're good to go. With the charger I linked to above, you can read the volts of the batt while it's in the charger, so no need to check with a separate meter. Also, it is not good to totally exhaust these batts like you do with a laptop battery. The Vamo will stop firing when they reach 3.2v but I usually take mine out at 3.5 and pop it in the charger... the charger will show the current volts or charge state (e.g. 3.5v), and will continue to show the volts as it charges and they climb to 4.2.

As for batts, the most often recommended are the red AW IMR 2000ma 18650 or the EFEST IMR 2000ma 18650. The "IMR" is a "safe chemistry" batt... they can melt but not explode. You don't want to use "protected batts" in a Vamo. Those are not safe chemistry batts... they are made of stuff that CAN explode, but come with a microchip on the end to protect the user from a short, hence protected batts. They don't play well with the Vamo though, and are not recommended in general b/c they rely on a microchip which could be faulty.

Also beware of sub-par batts branded illegally to appear to be brand name batts. Many veterans here recommend using RTD Vapor for batts as they guarantee the batts are genuine. You don't want to look for the cheapest price when it comes to batts, but the safest battery. Good luck.

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I knew finding a good quality battery was important but I didn't know about the charger. I'm upgrading from a spinner so this is all new territory for me. I really appreciate all the help I can get. Another question is how do I store the batteries? I can sew and thought maybe if I made a battery roll (if you Google crayon roll it would be like that but made for batteries) they would be separated and not able to directly touch each other.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Another question is how do I store the batteries? I can sew and thought maybe if I made a battery roll (if you Google crayon roll it would be like that but made for batteries) they would be separated and not able to directly touch each other.

The crayon roll looks fine but I'd make it deep enough so the top of the batts are not protruding. You don't want to "roll it up" and have the batts touch. And I would use a material that won't hold or create a static charge. If you plan to toss that in a purse I'd also make the top longer so it folds down over and secures with velcro to keep the batts inside the roll. Remember never to throw them in a purse or pocket as change or metal objects can create a catastrophe.

FTR it is generally recommended with batt chargers like the i2 to take batts out of the charger as soon as they are charged and not to leave them in there overnight or when you aren't home. The danger is the batt could overheat when charging and explode or start a fire.

The XTAR-VP1 however, is made to leave batts in it. After the batt is fully charged it stops charging but continues to monitor the charge state... as the batt loses charge the charger will trickle charge it back to a full charge, so your batts are always ready. I wouldn't "store" batts in there if I wasn't using them but if they are in rotation they can be left in the XTAR-VP1. Of course if you have more than two batts then you need to keep them somewhere.

Here is a batt blog by Baditude, a veteran here. Has lots of good info. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4848-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread