• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

New Bugout Bag (everyone favorite thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So over the last couple of years I have been living the life of a normal all American guy.... You know go to work, watch football eat nachos... not have sex with my girlfriend because she is too tired (Due to all the sex she was having with someone else)

At any rate I had been neglecting my bug out bag... hadn't even thought of it till yesterday... at which point I learned that my now ex apparently absconded with it when she moved out...

So I have to put together a new bag.... Currently... all I have is a Spork.... and painters tape... which really is no substitute for duct tape....

So... what all do I need? lol starting with actual bag recommendations as I no longer even have one of those...

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
not have sex with my girlfriend because she is too tired (Due to all the sex she was having with someone else)

Could be worse - you could have been exposed to something from your ex she got from someone else. But I digress...

So... what all do I need? lol starting with actual bag recommendations as I no longer even have one of those...

I bought a backpack that's useful for carrying a 17" laptop, and it would make a great bugout bag. Lots of pockets, flaps, nooks and crannies. Water bottle sleeve on the side. Recommended:

Targus 17

It's massive, and it'll hold everything you need for a solid week of zombie mayhem.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana

wacdenney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Georgia
I have the stereotypical HUGE duffle bag. You know... the kind all guys have in their garage somewhere...
It's HUGE and has most of what's needed for a weekend of cub scout camping already stuffed in it.

Honestly though I'm not sure I would "bug out". I'm not really sure where I would go. I already live out in the sticks.

I might go to the Technical College where I work. There I would have a generator, a book store with a fair supply of food, a whole wall of those stereotypical water cooler jugs, a health sciences wing with medicine and such, a surveillance system, a campus police area with radios and extra firepower, and it would be fairly easy to secure. It's only 3 miles from my house and might be my best bet. The generator is gas powered though and all I would have gas wise would be what's in the cars in the automotive section.

It's basically the best I got though...

Ghostrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Afghanistan
This is the one I use. Plenty of room, camelbak built in.

BFM-2011-Black.jpg

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
If you want cheap, durable, and room for everything you could possibly need - and then some, and is relatively comfortable to carry....go to an Army Surplus store & get a Rucksack/Alice pack (large size, and don't forget the frame). Something like this:

LargeAlicePack.jpg

There are a couple of different styles with various arrangement of pockets and features. A surplus day-pack can also be hung from the bottom of the frame if you need even more room.

I carried 70+ lbs in one every day/all day running around the boonies back in '68 and can vouch for the fact that THEY WORK.
If you are serious, they usually have lightweight/dried/concentrated foods at most surplus stores as well.
And don't forget something to carry & purify water ...

What else you put in yours is totally optional, but remember - if you don't really need it to survive, you will be carrying it, so you don't need it.. and don't forget the toilet paper :)

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
If you want cheap, durable, and room for everything you could possibly need - and then some, and is relatively comfortable to carry....go to an Army Surplus store & get a Rucksack/Alice pack (large size, and don't forget the frame). Something like this:

View attachment 199717

There are a couple of different styles with various arrangement of pockets and features. A surplus day-pack can also be hung from the bottom of the frame if you need even more room.

I carried 70+ lbs in one every day/all day running around the boonies back in '68 and can vouch for the fact that THEY WORK.
If you are serious, they usually have lightweight/dried/concentrated foods at most surplus stores as well.
And don't forget something to carry & purify water ...

What else you put in yours is totally optional, but remember - if you don't really need it to survive, you will be carrying it, so you don't need it.. and don't forget the toilet paper :)

I second the ALICE pack...wish I would have hunted one down before I got a backpack a few months back. I wouldn't really call mine a bug out bag lol..But I do keep some pretty cool stuff in there for trips into the State Forrest with my son.

a gerber multi tool, 75 feet of 400 pound cap rope (pre knotted for climbing), a old swiss stove set and sterno type tablets to make some yummy dehydrated camping food, a gps, a dry bag, larger knife (although I usually just end up using one on multi tool), sharpening stone, 2 servings of whatever dehydrated food he picks out,a few lighters, a decent l.e.d flashlight and a couple of batteries.

MOLLE-980.jpg

This is the exact bag. It's pretty cool, but I'd much rather have an ALICE pack..They really grew on me in the service.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Your X sounds like perfect bait. I say hunt her down, take the bag back and we can keep her till we need her.

I won't post the link cuz I'ld prolly get in trouble.... But just FYI...pure, pharmaceutical Lidocain HCL is NOT a controlled substance and may be purchased legally on the Internet. Along with my Lidocaine I have a box of scalpels, a half a dozen sterile preloaded staple guns for wound closure and a big ... bottle of veterinary "superglue". I also recommend plenty of betadine or some other concentrated antibac solution..NOT alcohol. Duct tape should take care of the rest.

ps...dear admins...Lidocaine is a substance used to numb the skin and deep tissue for surgical repair. You can't get high on it. Oh...it's also good for certain types of heart failure but don't trust me if you need that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread