Status
Not open for further replies.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
A bit of background: I'm vaping away quite happily, but still feeling 'the itch', so I'm smoking a couple of cigarettes a day. Previous attempts to go cold-turkey or to use conventional NRTs have led to a fairly comprehensive mental health crash - I understand that's probably in large part a temporary collapse in serotonin and dopamine levels.

I've got some WTA eliquid en route over the pond, so I'm going to try dripping that instead of smoking, and see how far that gets me, and whether I can taper it off over a few months to just nicotine. I thought it might make sense to take any amino acids, hormones etc. with some evidence of supporting production of important neurotransmitters while I'm at it.

A quick scan leads me to think that;

5htp (metabolises to serotonin and melatonin) - evidence of reducing depression
Melatonin - evidence of helping with sleep
Theanine (increases dopamine and GABA) - evidence of lowered anxiety, increased alpha waves
Tyrosine (metabolises to dopamine and norepinephrine) - evidence of improved mood in stressful situations

are good starting points. I'll probably eat one or two bananas a day as well.

Does anyone know of any others with a plausible mechanism, or preferably even good scientific data, indicating an effect in keeping quitters sane (well... saneish, anyway :) )?

Thanks

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
You could also take a GABA supplement as well......or try St. John's Wort. Just make sure you don't take the SJW if you are on any type of MAOI medications for depression.

I applaud you as well! The WTA will be a great option for you. Hoping the plane flies it here quickly for you! :)

I've heard that GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, hence the appeal of the theanine.

GABA is reported to reduce cravings in addicted people (please note, all this is from a Google education. If you actually know what you're talking about, ***please*** correct me on any of this if I'm wrong), and theanine ups GABA levels. Should be a no brainer (ahem :) )...

And thanks. I'm a little concerned they'll confiscate the WTA stuff if they figure out what it is, but it's so low-key right now they'll probably just wave it through as 'exotic e-liquid'.

Might be time to stockpile, if it works.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Can't help you with the supplements, but I recently ordered some WTA juice out of curiosity. I didn't feel anything was lacking, really, in my "regular" e-liquid, but must say, the WTA liquid gives me a nice little kick I now realize I wasn't getting before. It doesn't take much, just a few puffs now and then; one ml lasts me around 3-4 days.

Hope yours arrives safely and that it helps!

Atchafalaya

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
My WTA juice came in yesterday and it's already made a HUGE difference! Just started vaping 3 months ago and went from 30 to 10 analogs a day quickly. I just couldn't get below the 10 analogs. After vaping the WTA juice (Sahara 24) from Aroma Ejuice Manufacturer of WTA Whole Tobacco Alkaloid Eliquid last night, I've only had 2 cigarettes so far! :vapor:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Just wanted to comment on the melatonin and 5-htp, melatonin specifically. Most doses you find in drug stores for melatonin are over kill, and they could do more harm than good, but you could actually need that dose range. Start around 3mg and bump your way up to where it works for you..Especially if you're going to be taking 5-htp. There is an extremely broad range in dosage from person to person, so I'm not saying, don't take the 50mg supplements you can find in stores. Just work your way up to them, and try not to take them forever.

Valerian root is good too. Your body naturally produces melatonin at night, and supplementing it for a long period of time could interfere with that. Valerian root also contains a GABA inhibitor(why it resembles a benzo). If you're looking for something to help you go to sleep or relax, valerian root. If you're looking for something to keep you asleep and get better quality sleep, melatonin.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Just wanted to comment on the melatonin and 5-htp, melatonin specifically. Most doses you find in drug stores for melatonin are over kill, and they could do more harm than good, but you could actually need that dose range. Start around 3mg and bump your way up to where it works for you..Especially if you're going to be taking 5-htp. There is an extremely broad range in dosage from person to person, so I'm not saying, don't take the 50mg supplements you can find in stores. Just work your way up to them, and try not to take them forever.

I'm only using 100mg of the 5htp, which is on the low side of standard doses. It's got a reputation for upsetting the stomach if you jump right in.

50mg melatonin? Mine are 2.5mg, should probably be OK :) Haven't actually started taking it yet, wanted to get my sleep pattern to something near sensible, then start using that on top to keep it there.

It's the insomnia that normally gets me. I'm an insomniac at the best of times, but I'm really suffering right now. A couple of days ago I was awake for around 36 hours, fell asleep, and woke up an hour later, bolt-upright. It's got better since then, but still...

My mood has been good though. I have had swings, but they haven't been too bad. I might consider ordering some Valerian root / St John's Wort if there's a next batch. Thanks NICnurse and suspectK for the suggestions.

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
That looks like a good one.

I eat quite a lot of brown rice, so might be covered (edit - or perhaps not. I thought it was in brown rice, but apparently not). I might also buy some Marmite (I'm a full on Marmite fiend), and have that and bananas for breakfast. Presumably not in the same mouthful though (that's just wrong)... :)

Hmmm... Two course breakfasts... :)

Obviously there's fish as well. Maybe I'll get some omega fatty acid supplements too - supposed to be good for the brain generally, and can't do any harm...

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
That's another interesting one...

I shouldn't think I'll mix together a witches brew of different herbal things, that'd make me wonder about unknown interactions (obviously that can happen with the purified stuff too... But I think it's easier to study if you're dealing with just one chemical).

But I might try that, the St John's Wort, and the Valerian, separately.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
That's another interesting one...

I shouldn't think I'll mix together a witches brew of different herbal things, that'd make me wonder about unknown interactions (obviously that can happen with the purified stuff too... But I think it's easier to study if you're dealing with just one chemical).

But I might try that, the St John's Wort, and the Valerian, separately.

Well, since you're already a mutant, it might just work out OK :D j/k

But yeah, not the best idea to mix...I know Ashwagandha doesn't have too many issues with interactions but you never want to play around with that stuff!

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Here's an interesting one. Nigella Sativa, aka black cumin, black seed, or blessed seed, with some evidence of working for opiate addicts.

http://www.ayubmed.edu.pk/JAMC/PAST/20-2/Sangi.pdf

Seems to be heavily used as a nutritional supplement, particularly in the Islamic world, and should be good for you, let alone tolerated... :)

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Yep, it doesn't look conclusive. But there's certainly some 'noise' around the web suggesting it works.

Obviously the neurological situations in different addictions differ, but given that it's a widely used food supplement, can't see it doing any harm (at sensible doses, obviously...), even if it doesn't help.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The best approach I found was cutting down to three or four cigarettes a day and toughing it out for the first three days after quitting. I didn't want to spend money for the WTA route. I imbibed of the mysterious clear liquid during this stressful time. After 72 hours Nicotine USP was enough to get me by without drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread