Moving from a clearo to a carto/tank system on a Provari mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmiddlebrooks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I've had my Provari mini under a protank 2 for a bit, and while I am satisfied with the pt2's performance, it has been a pita to get it "dialed-in" (with airflow issues and having to order pt1 base). I also have been doing a lot of reading here on ECF about the benefits of a carto/tank set-up. Not having used carto's at all before, I'm learning how (via Baditude's amazingly concise blog posts, etc.) to prime the carto, fill the tank initially and how to top-off a dwindling tank. I think I'm ready to jump in :banana:. Here's what I've come-up with as a potential order:

IBTanked 19mm xl tank w/ SS caps
Boge xl 3ohm carto's 2hole/pre-punch
blunt nose syring
IBTanked tank tool

Everything look kosher?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi

I'm guessing your problem with the Protank airflow is that it's too airy? I've read a post where someone said they had too tight a draw with a Protank, but only the one. In any case, I've used carto tanks long before Protanks were on the market and haven't experienced any as airy as a Protank. For me, the only time I have a tight draw is when the carto is on it's last legs. Not all cartos are the same, but as far as draw I found them to be pretty much in the middle.

My first set-up was similar to yours:

A 19mm XL IBTank
I initially got acrylic caps, but my juice melted them and I switched to SS
Smoktech 2.0Ω XL carto 2-hole punch - I was using an standard voltage eGo
Slap Yo' Mama tank tool - Big Daddy Vapor invented the tool and was the only vendor who carried them at the time
I didn't get a syringe. I don't use them to fill cartos. I don't fill cartos the same way Bad does either.

The airflow comes from little holes in sides of the carto. The Protank has the same holes, but it also has a channel cut across the bottom that allows for air in. You can see an airflow hole in the picture at the bottom, just about the threads.

510-dct-cartomizer-800.jpg

I've been very happy with the set-up. I have 5 or 6 of them, I don't remember. I use different resistances of cartos, I'm not very picky. :)

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Mac, Im in Richmond Va myself. Go check out Avail Vapor on Cary Street.Its right beside the Carytown Veterinary Hospital. Not only do those guys have great prices and a large selection of cartos and tanks but they know their stuff.They will fix you right up and get you going before you leave the store.

Its also the nicest vape shop Ive ever been in. They have mods with carto tanks chained to the wall and filled with each of their juices for you to try at your leisure. They even provide a carto condom for you.

Heres a link to their online store for more info: AVAIL Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes and E-Cigs Products - AVAIL Vapor

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I've had my Provari mini under a protank 2 for a bit, and while I am satisfied with the pt2's performance, it has been a pita to get it "dialed-in" (with airflow issues and having to order pt1 base). I also have been doing a lot of reading here on ECF about the benefits of a carto/tank set-up. Not having used carto's at all before, I'm learning how (via Baditude's amazingly concise blog posts, etc.) to prime the carto, fill the tank initially and how to top-off a dwindling tank. I think I'm ready to jump in :banana:. Here's what I've come-up with as a potential order:

blunt nose syring
IBTanked tank tool

Everything look kosher?

A 22mm IBTanked with a ProRing will give you a nice look, too.

That is actually a Phiniac tank, but the ring is there.

Attachments

• DSCN0820.jpg
    DSCN0820.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 640

macmiddlebrooks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Ocelot- No, my prob. was with no draw whatsoever (base threads may have been missing air holes) on one, another works fine. I'm really just interested in trying something new...thanks for all the info, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Zapped- Yes, I've been to Avail to check it out, great looking store! Looks like they only sell rebuildable tanks and/or plastic tanks. I'm pretty set on a glass one so I think a IBTanked may be a better fit for me...but thanks for taking the time to respond and I'm glad I found a fellow Richmonder :).

Tommy Aces

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
Connecticut

blunt nose syring
IBTanked tank tool

Everything look kosher?

Looks like you'll have everything you need. IMO, IBT tanks are $ for $ the best carto tanks you can buy. I've got 3 of the 22mm tanks with stainless caps. The 22mm tanks look great with or without a ProRing or Hippo Cap. I'm a fan of the Hippo Cap especially because you can adjust it to control airflow as opposed to the ProRings and such that are purely decorative. A 22mm XL tank will hold about 4-4.5 ml of liquid as opposed to the 2.5-3ml that the 19mm XL tank will hold.

Just food for thought.

macmiddlebrooks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Looks like you'll have everything you need. IMO, IBT tanks are $ for $ the best carto tanks you can buy. I've got 3 of the 22mm tanks with stainless caps. The 22mm tanks look great with or without a ProRing or Hippo Cap. I'm a fan of the Hippo Cap especially because you can adjust it to control airflow as opposed to the ProRings and such that are purely decorative. A 22mm XL tank will hold about 4-4.5 ml of liquid as opposed to the 2.5-3ml that the 19mm XL tank will hold.

Just food for thought.

Looks like just the ticket if I want more room, but I'm thinking the smaller 19mmxl might be just right for my needs. Thanks for the heads-up though, you never know what the sweet spot will end up being.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
IBTanked-1.jpg IBTanked-2.jpg IBTanked-MiniProvari.jpg

I have both the standard and Mini Provari. I have seven 19mm XL IBTanked and five 22mm XL IMTanked. The first two pics show the 19mm with the older acrylic colored endcaps. The third pic shows 19mm XL with stainless steel caps.

Here's a review that I did on the IBTanks: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3318-3-ibtanked-pyrex-glass-tanks-review.html

Here's the method I use to setup my cartotanks: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread