Status
Not open for further replies.

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
Mine hit 170 at "low". I think it was Amanda? maybe Andria? I know it started with an "A:... anyway, vent the lid and you should get 150. The test I did was a temp at 170. Though it didn't have any negative effect, I'd still shoot for 150. If you have a candy or meat thermometer, just keep an eye on it.

disco180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
New York
Ok so I went and mixed up a batch of

10% Juicy Peach (TFA)
5% Bavarian Cream (TFA)

This was at 2am, shook it up all white with bubbles... put it in the CP on low for an hour, then went to bed at 3AM (Don't Judge Me LOL) and before bed put the CP on the "Keep Warm" setting...Got up at 7am for work (Like I said don't judge me LOL)

Woke Up to this:

IMAG0020.jpg

Smells wonderful, cant wait to vape it but will wait until tomorrow :) visual goodness like this makes my UC seem so 2013 :facepalm:

Oh yeah so happy with the color forgot to test the temp of the water :?:

Last edited:

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
It sure appears to me that that top got pretty hot! Hot enough to melt the plastic inside the bottle!

If the glass bottle is sitting directly on the bottom of the ceramic crock pot, there will be more heat transferred to the glass bottle, itself. The ceramic pot is heated by the heating element - Then the pot heats the water. The ceramic pot actually gets hotter than the water. The water is slower to change in temperature - Takes longer to heat up and longer to cool down. So, I place a 1/8 inch (or so) rubber mat between the steeping glass bottles and the bottom of the pot to insure that the bottles are being heated by the water - not directly by the ceramic pot.

My setup uses a $5 wall timer set to go on and off every 15 minutes. Once I get the water to temp, I click in the timer. This keeps my water between 145 and 155. Most of the time it's at 150 degrees.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I just stick my glass bottles right on the bottom of the crockpot with the waterline just below the cap. So far everything has come out beautifully steeped! I crack the lid with the setting on low and the temp stays right around 150. I do start off with water from the kettle, the lid closed, and the crockpot on high to get the temp up faster.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I am almost ready to give up the crock pot because it seems to kill the flavor. I had a liquid that was half steeped and beginning to taste decent until I put it in the crock pot. It now tastes totally muted. Can't figure out what I did wrong - used plastic bottles instead of glass? Briefly went to 160 degrees before I brought the temp down? I had much better luck with my old method of putting the liquid in a covered metal box under the sun ....

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I am almost ready to give up the crock pot because it seems to kill the flavor. I had a liquid that was half steeped and beginning to taste decent until I put it in the crock pot. It now tastes totally muted. Can't figure out what I did wrong - used plastic bottles instead of glass? Briefly went to 160 degrees before I brought the temp down? I had much better luck with my old method of putting the liquid in a covered metal box under the sun ....

I find it is best if it sits for a day after coming out of the crockpot. Some flavors really pop after a short rest!

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Thanks Amanda. I hope you're right because I made the mistake of putting 15 small bottles in the CP and hate to sell them all destroyed.

They'll be fine! I sometimes take the caps off when they come out of the crockpot until they cool. Then just put them away for a day (or overnight). I find the flavors sometimes need time to meld together after cooking - just like a stew which is often tastier the next day!

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
you can buy CP's with probe temp setting to set it exactly at 150.

I did that, works great. It then takes it to "warm" automatically. Downside to that is the auto shut off is 14 hours, so I make sure I have 4 hours before heading to bed. And checking the water level.

wllmc

Moved On
Oct 29, 2013
colorado springs co
man thats to bad to hear. hopefully it came together for you finally. like amanda said sometimes it still needs a day or 2 to relax a little like with the UC but honestly Ill vape them soon as it hits room temp and are all still good. maybe some recipes just are not meant for it lol. but really that sucks havent really heard any negative results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread