Modular part ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Here are a couple ideas I have been working on, but these days I don't have the money or tools to do them. Thought I would toss them out there and see what people thought, or if anyone could make them.

Modular Bottom Feeder
Male 510 connector at the bottom, female connector at the top. Tube shaped. 2 thin layers of metal, separated by a thin layer of plastic. The inner layer carries the positive connection from one connector to the other, the outer layer is the ground between the 2 connectors. It would unscrew near the bottom and house a 3-5mL bottle inside, and have a hole in the side to squeeze the bottle. In the top would be the needle/tubing of some kind to feed the juice from the bottle through the top connector, into the atomizer. That way anyone with a 510 mod could screw this on to their battery, screw an atomizer into the top, and bottomfeed.

Modular VV
Male 510 connector at the bottom, female connector at the top. Tube shaped. ptn04050C chip inside with potentiometer. Positive and ground from bottom connector to Vin and ground of boost chip. Voltage out and ground go to top connector. That way anyone with a 510 mod could screw this on to their battery, screw an atomizer into the top, and have Variable Voltage. I made a 5v regulated version of this and it worked VERY well, got quite a few hours on my girlfriends Riva 650mAh battery. The button on the battery is still responsible for firing, so no button is needed on the VV section.

Last edited:

ericdjobs

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2011
Northern CA
I was thinking the exact same thing last night.. and I thought if I had the technical know-how to construct something like this, I would in a HEARTBEAT

It seems you can do it rather cheaply, and could sell at quite the markup...

There's a huge.. i mean HUGE market of eGo/Riva users that would drop $20-$30 on a small piece of equipment that gives them the ability to experience VV

Oh and I've seen the modular bottom feeder at SOME vendor's site.. I can't remember now but it was pretty but a bottle connected to elastic strap that went over cone type PV, with an attached tube and a special cap/mouthpiece

it attached onto the side of a cone pv and you squeeze bottle, drips juice into atty
*here it is, The Dripper http://www.notcigs.com/products/The-Dripper-.html

Last edited:

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
this isnt exactly what you are talking about but is it similar to your idea?

The Regulator
Yea same idea, except the one I'm thinking would work on 3.7v devices(the most common) since it uses a boost chip. I've already successfully made one using the ptn04050C chip without a POT(I didn't have one handy) that output 5v. It was about 1.25" long and .625" diameter.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night.. and I thought if I had the technical know-how to construct something like this, I would in a HEARTBEAT

It seems you can do it rather cheaply, and could sell at quite the markup...

There's a huge.. i mean HUGE market of eGo/Riva users that would drop $20-$30 on a small piece of equipment that gives them the ability to experience VV

Oh and I've seen the modular bottom feeder at SOME vendor's site.. I can't remember now but it was pretty but a bottle connected to elastic strap that went over cone type PV, with an attached tube and a special cap/mouthpiece

it attached onto the side of a cone pv and you squeeze bottle, drips juice into atty
*here it is, The Dripper The Dripper - notcigs.com
Yea see the dripper is actually top-feeding, and to me it looks awful. The image pointed out in the second post was pretty much exactly what I was thinking, but alot of fat could be shaved off of it.

There seems to be ready made modular VV and feeders, the only problem I see by using them with a tubular mod it's you're getting a 2 feet long PV (battery+vv module+feeder+ato+driptip) so the square box is the way to go here. My 2 cents.

Haha yea I know what you are thinking... I had pictured it myself. My main thought was that since these are modular you could use them as needed, but perhaps not all at once.

4"PV + 1.25" VV + 2" ato/drip tip = 7.25" (bout the same as provari with genesis)
4"PV + 2" Bottomfeed + 2" ato/drip tip = 8" (bout the same as provari with scubagen XL)
4"PV + 2" Bottomfeed + 1.25" VV + 2" ato/drip tip = 9.25" (getting into over-compensating range here :p)

Plus, alot of people(myself included) think the box mods look like modified a**crack. I understand the box mod, I have about 3 of them, but I don't like them.

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Interesting. Though you can increase power by using a lower resistance atty/carto. Of course, without the precision, but you don't' get a longer, much more expensive device.

I don't care for the eGo and similarly styled e-cigs much. Battery capacity is limited and they don't charge and vape at the same time. There's the eGo passthru, but charge capacity is only 650mAh. If you want to vape in the higher power ranges, I think you'll be limited with that setup, similar to the same limitations using an LR atty/carto. It's still going to be a pretty big device, especially if using the higher capacity battery or passthru.

A box is probably not the ideal shape for comfort and style, but to get all features I want myself, it's the best way to go. My box mod gives me all the features I want, digital indication and control, high power, high capacity, passthru charging. I'm not willing to trade any of that just for a tube shape. Even so, the only production tube mod with digital indication and control is the Pro-Vari and it's still a pretty hefty device.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine

LOL Wow...pretty much exactly what I described. $60 after instant rebate for a part that costs ~$5 in parts. The 5v model I made was made with free sample parts. I should tear it apart and put in a $1.50 Potentiometer...Hehe

Interesting. Though you can increase power by using a lower resistance atty/carto. Of course, without the precision, but you don't' get a longer, much more expensive device.

I don't care for the eGo and similarly styled e-cigs much. Battery capacity is limited and they don't charge and vape at the same time. There's the eGo passthru, but charge capacity is only 650mAh. If you want to vape in the higher power ranges, I think you'll be limited with that setup, similar to the same limitations using an LR atty/carto. It's still going to be a pretty big device, especially if using the higher capacity battery or passthru.

A box is probably not the ideal shape for comfort and style, but to get all features I want myself, it's the best way to go. My box mod gives me all the features I want, digital indication and control, high power, high capacity, passthru charging. I'm not willing to trade any of that just for a tube shape. Even so, the only production tube mod with digital indication and control is the Pro-Vari and it's still a pretty hefty device.

I agree with most of your points. However, using LR atties does not even touch HV. My girlfriend uses a Riva with 1.5ohm atties, while I have a Provari and use 3.5ohm atties. No contest, at all. Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have the option of HV, I would definitely go LR, but they are just not comparable.

For heavier vapers this idea would be horrible, but most vapers aren't that bad. My girlfriend vapes more than me and she used my homemade modular 5v part on her 650mAh Riva for an entire 8 hour shift. Obviously this idea wouldn't be for everyone, but I'm sure there are some who would love it.

In any case, between the eGo Booster and the Surge Tank, it looks like both ideas have been done.

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
For heavier vapers this idea would be horrible, but most vapers aren't that bad. My girlfriend vapes more than me and she used my homemade modular 5v part on her 650mAh Riva for an entire 8 hour shift. Obviously this idea wouldn't be for everyone, but I'm sure there are some who would love it.

That's true, I tend to forget I'm a much heavier vaper than most people. My wife literally vapes a quarter of what I do. She gets by perfectly fine using the high capacity eGo. I've let her try my VV device and she wants one as well (working on a smaller version, inspired by her), but she still has no problem using the eGo. It's been a year for her now.

There really is a wide array of what people want and need in features. I'm definitely on the far right of the scale. But, there are plenty others who feel the same as I do. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a mods forum.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
LOL Wow...pretty much exactly what I described. $60 after instant rebate for a part that costs ~$5 in parts. The 5v model I made was made with free sample parts.

I'd love to see you provide me with a parts list where I could build a variable booster circuit without stealing samples from distributors and manufacturers... Most of those booster chips are in the 20 dollar range when ordered in small quantities.

Before you get all bent out of shape about my stealing comment, I should mention that "free samples" are actually engineering samples. They offer up parts so engineers will spec them in thier final designs, thus insuring sales. Engineering samples were never supposed to fuel a freebie DIY community, and I find the practice of taking advantage of these programs reprehensible.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
You will come to find that I don't "get bent out of shape". These companies get my money more often than not, but for just one or 2 parts, this is easier.

For the parts list the only part of significant value is the booster. I was wrong about it being under $5 in parts though.
PTN04050C = $13
1x potentiometer..|
2x resistor...........|
2x capacitor.........|---All 5 things are cents on the dollar in bulk or a couple dollars combined retail.
1x diode..............|
1x ~4" of wire.....|
Casing.........Could be made of almost anything, dirt cheap.

All in all it would cost an average person ~$20 to make, but a supplier could do even cheaper.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
You will come to find that I don't "get bent out of shape". These companies get my money more often than not, but for just one or 2 parts, this is easier.

For the parts list the only part of significant value is the booster. I was wrong about it being under $5 in parts though.
PTN04050C = $13
1x potentiometer..|
2x resistor...........|
2x capacitor.........|---All 5 things are cents on the dollar in bulk or a couple dollars combined retail.
1x diode..............|
1x ~4" of wire.....|
Casing.........Could be made of almost anything, dirt cheap.

All in all it would cost an average person ~$20 to make, but a supplier could do even cheaper.

Casing... 3-5 bucks in small quantities... 1.50-2.00 in larger...
Knob for the pot... 1-2 bucks in small quan... 50-75 cents in larger...
Ego connector... 2 bucks in small, a buck in large...
510 connector at bottom... 1.00 in small, 75 cents in large quan
LABOR TO ASSEMBLE... 3-4 dollars on assembly line... 5-8 dollars smaller quan.

Total... your 20 dollar estimate PLUS anywhere from 6.75-20.00 depending on quantities built...

So we have have a manufactured cost that ranges from 26.75 - 40.00 depending on the size of the run... and they are charging 60 dollars Canadian... roughly 62.00 U.S. at the moment...

The Canadian distributor is probably making 40-50% so they paid between 30 and 36 dollars for it... The manufacturer gets a whopping 3-4 dollars profit above the cost to build it, if they are working efficiently...

I think 60 bucks retail is a pretty fair price for that device, considering what it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread