Box mod with wire, push-on connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
I have two ideas I wanted to share/suggest. I haven't done any mods myself, or read in the modder's forums, so forgive me if these are old ideas. In fact, if they have already been suggested or tried, I would be interested in posted links to the relevant threads.

The first idea is to combine the idea of a box mod with a passthru. You make the part of the passthru that connects to the atty, with a long wire cable that goes down to the box mod where the power is. You could have the box in your pocket or on a belt clip. Then you could have the advantages of a box mod with the more analog-like look and experience you get with a passthru.

The other idea revolves around the general problem with not being able to make our own male and female atty and battery connectors.

This is inspired by the solution provided by push-on cable TV plug connectors. These could be built in both male and female versions, sized to fit the battery or atomizer in question. If an appropriately sized preexisting push-on connector could not be found, I think the template for a passable push-on could be fashioned from sheet metal and then bent around into a cylinder. Admittedly it would not be as effective not being of spring steel, but it's a possibility it could work. Perhaps rubber could be put on the inside or outside to give it the requisite springiness. While it would not stay on as well as a screw-on, of course, how well it does stay on would depend entirely on the quality of the design and construction.

Another possibility for making a screw-on connector would be to wrap an appropriately sized wire around the threads of a male connector until you got a good fit, and then glue that into a hard plastic or metal cylinder of the appropriate size. The wire would act as threads. This approach would be unwieldy to make a male connector to screw into a female connector, though.

Thanks for reading about and commenting on these ideas.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
You can already buy/use a kensington usb batt with your standard passthru for the pocket batt and there are standard AA batt boxes with the same setup.

Also, a whole load of people using RCA connectors - very similar to your connector approach.

Do up a search on ECF for either and you'll be amazed at just how much and crazy people here can get :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread