My home made Squonker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambiv4lent

Sep 16, 2014
UK
Hey Folks, thought I'd share this with you's all as there is very little like it available elsewhere. I made this up from the following -

Wenge and Black Walnut kitchen worktop samples
'Vashcetta UFO' from Del-Sole.it
SX 350 chip
innokin U-can
20mm Brass conduit bush and plug
12mm Gold plated Anti Vandal Switch

I cut a peice of black walnut 67mmx60mmx40mm and shaped it with a router, then planed it back, drilled it with 24mm/19mm and 2x10mm holes then chiselled and sanded to get my finished shell to fit everything into -

20120107_060047.jpg

I cut two 60mmx40mmx7mm peices of wenge wood to make the top and bottom plates, and added the fittings to those. To make the negative of the battery compartment I drilled and tapped the wenge wood to M3, and used a brass machine screw to trap a spade end connector with the negatives soldered/crimped to it. The positive connection was soldered to the outside of the brass bush in the bottom plate, and screwing in the brass plug connects up the postive while allowing easy battery changes. I also turned a round screw bezel out of the wenge wood and a 2mm thick perspex screen that fits inside it and glued these in place.

20120107_060026.jpg

I removed the needle assembly from the U-can and drilled and tapped the top cap to M3 to match the long positive post from the Del-sole 510 connector so that I could screw it right through into the tank and get a nice seal, the whole top plate/510/u-can cap assembly was then glues in place on the top of the box and the base plate glued onto the bottom. The u-can tank section screw in and out and drops through the hole in the base plate to allow for refilling.

photo 2.jpg 20120107_082754.jpg

Once it was all glued up I attacked with a power file to shape the top and bottom plates to match up with the shell, some final sanding and a few coats of oil.

Attachments

• 20120107_060556.jpg
    20120107_060556.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 164

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
The video helps explain a lot, I didn't realize before. Don't take this wrong, I like this mod a lot . One thing I noticed was that filling the tank looks to be rather messy, especially with the down tube wet with juice, able to drip inside the mod. At first I thought maybe having the whole ican removable, but that would be a lot of change for a mod you've already finished. What if there were a fill valve on the bottom of the ican, something like the billet box uses, or even a hole with a silicon plug in it? Then you wouldn't have to open it nearly as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ambiv4lent

Sep 16, 2014
UK
Certainly its a consideration Asdaq, The whole U-can thing is cool and it works but it is fiddly, I made a mistake in polishing it and its almost impossible to grip it to unscrew the tank. I use a bit of latex to get a purchase on it and then its ok.

On reflection there are some things that I would change, I dislike the appearance of the switch, though it works extremely well and feels good under the thumb. I would allow an extra couple of mm in height as well to accomodate a flexable battery tag to just give alittle wiggle room on the battery compartment as well. I've already cracked the glue holding the top on by over tightening the battery brass plug. It's no biggie because I re-glued it and re finished it, but its would be an improvement should i make a mk2 version.

I'd also probably sack off the U-can for a squeezy bottle and a second brass plug, or construct it such a way that the u-can can be completely removed for refilling. I very conscious that the u-can in my currant version is a part of the the positive terminal in effect, if i had made it with a silicone tube straight through the cap it would be insulated which would probably be better though I can't see any issues with this one unless i was to wear chain mail gloves or something lol. Would need to use something like a knurled thumb screw on the front on the mod to clamp the can in place, but that is do-able and could me made aesthetically pleasing I think.

Overall I'm very happy with it though, I've been using for the last 2 weeks and it hasn't skipped a beat, it feeds well and vapes beautifully. The thing that concerns me the most is that I cannot see into the cavity between the cap of the u can and the 510 to see if any juice has gotten past the connector, but i'm pretty sure its sealed ok. Time will tell if there are any problems in that regard.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Oops, U-can. :)

I like that it is in there, and certainly realize the cap is in for good. I especially think that the pump from the bottom is a nice feature worth keeping. I had another idea that if the the u-can had a needle top that slid into another tube that did the bottom feeding and positive connection and had a small o-ring to stop leaks. That would present a problem with the ucan slipping out the bottom, but maybe a magnet could keep it in place?

The hole and plug method would work better with your current build though.

magicalmystery

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2014
Switzerland
Your Squonker looks really cool and at first glance you don' really see all the interesting details you added until one checks out your attached video. I really like the battery positive soldered in connection. At first glance, looking at the metal tank tube, I was asking myself how would one squeeze the tube and feed the juice up but later saw in your video the bottom button to feed the juice up...really cool. So your Squonker hole is now for unthreading and the Squonker function is now hidden. I guess its now a Squanker for Bottom Squeeze tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread