Megalodon SS and Aluminum +Mako Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I couldn't decide at first which version of the Electronicstix/Moju Republic Megalodon to go with, so I purchased both. I ordered the aluminum version from Electronicstix and the SS (stainless steel) from Moju. The aluminum version arrived within a few days and the SS version took 10 days to arrive from England. I picked up the Mako Midi at the same time just on a whim.

Both versions are identical in terms of manufacturing. The aluminum is obviously manufactured from aluminum with the 510/801 hybrid connector and button made of brass. The stainless version is constructed entirely of stainless steel.

Features of the Megalodon:

Both versions are multi battery compatible units. This means that you can utilize a wide variety of battery types and styles. I know that other types are available and should function, but I will limit myself to the ones I have been able to verify from my own stock of batteries. Both units functioned using AW 18650s and 18350s in IMR and protected versions. Both also functioned with the generic unknown make batteries sold on the Electronicstix site. The unit also functioned using 16340 batteries from AW both in protected and IMR.

The devices are mechanical mods with locking bottom buttons and adjustable "telescoping" negative terminal contacts which allow them to be adjusted to fit varying sizes of the same types of batteries. What it boils down to is that if you want to use a IMR battery, a protected battery, or batteries of the same type fromm different manufacturers, you can simply adjust the center post of the bottom button with a screwdriver to allow each type to fit and function. This also allows you to adjust the "throw" or the distance that you depress the bottom button to activate the device.

Quoted from the website: Compatible battery sizes in 3.7 Volt format include: 18650; 18350; 17670; 14650, 16340; CR123A to name a few. While if you want to experience some higher voltage vaping, the Don caters for 5 Volts (our own custom 5V battery); 6 Volts (2 x CR123A 3V); or 7.4 Volts (2 x 16340 3.7V)

The center section of the mod is removable to allow for a more compact device. This feature isn't particularly unique as several mods use similar methods. The ability to use one mod with several different size batteries and to be able to customize the overall size of the mod itself is a great feature for the end user.

If I want to go out for a short time and I don't feel like being conspicuous, I drop the center section, toss in a 18350 battery and toss on whatever atty, carto, or tank that I feel like using. If I plan on being out for a day, I pop in the 18650 and vape without worry about needing extra batteries.

Concerns about having to carry a screwdriver around are not necessary. The screw moves easily enough that I was able to make adjustments on the fly using all sorts of improvised items. I've even used a coffee stir stick on one occasion. In general, I use the same make/model of batteries most of the time so adjustments aren't entirely needed.

The newer versions (not sure exactly when the upgrade was made) have a wider top to allow the use of eGo specific attys like the eGo tanks. Nice feature but unnecessary for me. I'm not a fan of the eGo tank but I know people who are. The top connector is removable so that it can be switched with a 901/808d connector for fans of that style atty. The 510 version that came with mine also allowed the use of 801 attys without changing adapters. Neat feature but one that comes with consequences (see the cons section).

Features of the Mako:

The Mako (made by the same folks as the Don), uses 14XXX series batteries. Available in different lengths (Maksi 14650, Midi 14500, Minno 14250) the device is configurable in a similar manner to the Don. The different center tubes are supposedly available but were sold out at the time of my purchase. The button is identical to the Don and were interchangable. The atty connectors were also identical and interchangable between models. Even though I was able to use the 14500 battery in the Don, it feels far more correct in the Mako. All of the pros and cons of the Don apply equally to the Mako. My device came with a black finish on the tube and brass button and connector.

The Pros of the Don and Mako:

All mechanical, easily adjustable to fit a wide variety of manufacturers' batteries. The aluminum versions (Mako and aluminum Don) are very lightweight and pleasant to carry and use. The Don in SS is heavier but feels more balanced when used with my stainless tanks like the VPX or MAP. The Don's top cap diameter is a very close match to both of those tanks which gives the device a sleek appearance when using them, especially the non-tapered capped VPX tank. The SS Don comes with a somewhat rough machined finish which took a few moments to buff on a wheel buffer. It now sports a mirror finish which looks slick :)

All devices were well made, relatively durable, and reliable. No issues with the function as they came from the box. But there were a few things that irked me, which leads me to.....

The Cons of the Dons and Mako:

The only big con that I encountered was with the aluminum Don. It could be my corrosive nature, but the aluminum Don began looking oxidized and grungy within about 5 hours of my using it. By morning it was dark in some spots and cloudy in others. Being a former military/law enforcement guy, I couldn't leave it be. Polishing it became a near constant issue. Finally I took it out to the shop and matte blasted the entire device. Initially I covered the blasted finish in a coat of vehicle wax which kept it from corroding and maintained a beautiful matte silver finish. I later decided to coat the unit using Lauer Custom's Duracoat (a baked-on gun finish). I now have a beautiful semi-gloss black Don.

All three devices suffered from the same problem in my opinion: the new hybrid connector. In order to function with 801 and 510, the center post is set high. This is fine if you use 801s, but 510s won't seat flush with the threaded portion of the connector. Since I prefer to use 510 type attys/cartos, this left an unsightly gap. I stress that this had no noticable effect on function, just appearance.

The center post appears to be regular screw, which leads one to believe that it could be adjusted. One would be wrong. The screw is set on/in a free floating insulating sleeve. Turn all you like, nothing much will happen.

Initially this bothered me since my tanks were sitting with a large gap between the bottom of the tank and the top of the top cap. Fortunately I also ordered several extra 510 top connectors. So I proceeded to experiment.

Using the top cap of the Mako, I threaded the connector into it from the bottom. I then used a 3/32" pin punch to drive out the center post screw. I ground the screw down until it allowed a 510 atty to fully seat and still make a good connection. This took time, a lot of time. Patience is the key here. You can always remove metal, not so easy to put it back on. I used an old carto with the center post removed and a small oring to keep the insulator seated in the connector while driving in the center post. Once reassembled, the modified connector allowed carto tanks to sit flush and function flawlessly.

I modified one additional connector to allow the use of flanged carto tanks and maintain that same flush appearance. This was done by grinding down the outer portion of the connector's top. This countersunk the connector a tad and made the recently introduced Smoktech tanks sit flush.

This connector modification disabled its compatibility with the 801 attys. The Smoktech tank modified connector won't function with eGo specific attys anymore either. So technically speaking I would have 4 specific connectors set for each style atty that I may want to use: 1) 801, 2) eGo, 3) regular 510/carto/tank, 4) flanged carto tank.

Since the connectors are made so that they can be screwed in and out of the top cap using only a penny, it's not a really inconvenient issue.

I stress again that I'm a stickler for how my devices look, so these modifications I mentioned are not necessary for the devices to function.

Lastly, the devices are well made but not well finish prepped. The functions of the button and the threads are a tad rough when new. After a day or two of use, they do smooth out nicely. A dab of noalox on the threads smooths them up as well.

Conclusion:

If you want the Swiss Army Knife/SOPMOD M4 version of an e-cig mod, get the Don. You can use nearly any battery you like with whatever atomizer you like. You can also make it whatever overall size you might like, from mini stealth mod to D-cell flashlight. You can stack batteries or use a 5v battery. So many options all out of one mod.

Add in the Mako and you can interchange most of the parts in the event of a failure. The narrower Mako feels nice in some situations. The longer Don provides hours and hours of power. The short Don is easily hidden for stealth vaping mission. The aluminum Don is extremely light and comfortable. The SS Don is durable and darn near indestructible. It's also easy to maintain. The stainless can be buffed to a mirror finish with little subsequent polishing needed to maintain it.

The pricing of each unit is average for the market ~$145 for the SS Don (Moju), ~$105 for the aluminum Don, and ~$75 for the Mako. Availablity is tricky as it is with most mods. Sometimes you find one, sometimes you end up haunting the subforums or classifieds hunting one down.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Hi Tin,
first i enjoyed reading your review and understand what was said. I had bought the ss Don here in the states when they were available. I used a jewelers eyepiece looking at the thread and saw in them micro pieces of metal shavings so i did a complete cleaning of the Don.
Also i feel your pain about the screw in the 510 connector , i did wind up useing my dremel and a special tip and ground it down .
Now recently i bought a protected 18350 battery blue in color from madvapes and could not get it to work properly in my don it would fire even in the off position no matter how i adjusted the switch including adjusting the plastic insulator in the spring within that switch.
I would not get the tube screwed all the way down and it would fire when inserting that batt.
I put it next to the original orange type 18350 batts i bought from electronicstix and the blue one is taller , on madv site its listed at 37mm i did not measure the orange one . I took the protection circuit out of the blue one and then thought hmm maybe this is not a good idea and just tossed it out.

Would like to hear the exact 18350 batt rated at 1200mah that you may have used in your ss don in mini mode other than the ones from the site .

Other than a few problems which i feel should not happen in a new PV its great now to use for me and i really like it especially in the mini mode or some say stealth mode.

I would like to add Tinstar as a lot of folks do not know there is a vv module in the works for the Don and there on the 2nd prototype as i type this and it will screw onto the dons like a sleeve .
I had conversation with Tim from Mojurepublic via email and this was mentioned in our conversation, the first rough protype is picture here in post # 45 i have not seen the 2nd one as there still working out the kinks.
All-Stainless Megalodon - UK Vapers - Page 3

I would like to here your experience ike i mention about other types of 18350 batts.
and
Thanks. :)

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I don't have any 1200mah 18350s, wasn't aware that there were any til now. The protected 18350s that I have are some sort of off brand rated at 900mah. I think they came with some flashlight or a SD mod I bought a while back. I mistakenly referred to them as AW in the review (sorry). I used them and the AW IMR 18350 with the mini-mode Don. They are rated at 700mah but seem better than that to me. I used the AW 16340 750mah protected battery in my Don and it ran just under 8hrs of semi-constant use with a LR Atty. The 18350 AW 700mah IMR lasted just over 9 hours before getting pretty weak. About the same for the 18350 900mah batts.

The 900mah are a tad taller than the 700 IMRs. I don't bother with them much since I'm pretty much phasing out all my off brand stuff in favor of the AWs. I would stick with the high drains 18350 IMR type in the Don since the 16340s protected seem to wobbly to me and the 900s didn't do anything more or better than the 700s.

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Thanks Tinstar for posting back . :)

Electronic stix where i got the ss don a while back when they were in stock still has the 1200mah 18350 batts there ok for me so far i rotate a pair and most likely will get another pair.
Want to get a few extra springs <currently out of stock> as well and this mod should outlast me as im not young anymore . lol

badkarmaiii

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
So, I made my center, positive contact adjustable.
First, I drove the screw out with a punch.
Second, I glued the plastic insert into to brass atomizer connector and let the glue set.
Third, I cleaned up the ugly end of the screw with a file.
Fourth, I lubed the screw threads with petroleum jelly and screwed in back into the atomizer connector.
Last, I installed my tank then andjusted the center contact.
Voila! the gap is much smaller and the tank doesn't wobble, even without being very tight.

Thanks,
Lee

10mmshooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
WA
Only issues I have had with the Don is leaking through the atomizer connector and the alloy don I have dropped the top cap a few times which puts it out of shape

I have had pretty good luck with my Dons. Have all three versions. Last month I dropped my V1 and it distorted the top cap. It threads really tight now so I just leave it in long mode. No more short mode for it.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I hate it when one of my mods falls. Not sure why but they never fall off anything when there's carpet underneath. Always has to be tile or concrete. That is one thing to say for the SS Don. It's had two unfortunate encounters with tile floors so far. All that happened was some minor dings which buffed almost completely out with a few minutes on a buffer. If you knew where to look you could just barely make out where the one hit put a indentation about the size of a pin head. The other just scratched up the button which buffed out quick. SS weighs a whole lot more but takes a decent beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread