$1.00 Fix for the Mako Midi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceo51378

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Annapolis MD
**Please note that this fix only applies to the Mako Midi running a single 14500 battery. To my knowledge, no one has had any issues with using 2 CR2's (in a 6V configuration). **

I recently ordered a Mako Midi from electronicstix. It comes with an 801 adapter so I purchased a 510 adapter. When I got my device, my 14500 batteries were too short to make contact with the switch even after removing the o-rings. I tested it with both Tenergy unprotected and Trustfire Protected 1450's; both of which proved to be too short (by about 2mm). Jason informed me that he would be carrying 14500's that would play nicely with the PV and suggested using magnetic battery spacers for the shorter batts. Until then, I have come up with a very quick fix that works like a charm. It will cost you less than $1.00 and will take less than 5 minutes to fix.

Hit up your local hardware store and pick up a 5/16" Chrome Hole Plug. They run a little less than $1.00. The only tools you will need are a pair of needle nose pliers (to bend the prongs out on the plug) and a flathead screwdriver (to bend the prongs over the screw head of the postive connector on the Mako). Before doing this, make sure you screw in the adapter on the top cap first.
The hole plug will give you the extra 2mm you need for your short batteries. The down side is that you will be unable to remove the adapter from the top cap without removing the hole plug first. I am now work on a spring loaded center (positive) post as a permanent fix and will post pics once I have finished it.

I hope this helps anyone else having battery problems with the Mako.

Attachments

• DSC06594.jpg
    DSC06594.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC06595.jpg
    DSC06595.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC06596.jpg
    DSC06596.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 48

applefr3ak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Ogden, Utah, United States
that is because we make mods not batteries... if we made batteries too every mod would fit them perfectly.. everyone does their very best to make sure that the batteries fit but battery manufacturers and the batteries they make all seem to vary 1-2 mm hope that clarifies things.. im sure if you ask anyone who has got the mako and got it "dialed in" they way they like.. loves it.

ceo51378

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Annapolis MD
I forgot to update my last post. Jason is correct. Upon ordering my new batteries, they were a perfect fit. Same Brand (trustfire), same type (14500), both protected - but my old ones were a little over 2mm shorter than the replacements that I bought. For anyone who wants to use UNprotected batts, you will need magnetic spacers. I got mine from lighthound and they work great. Also - the CR2's are a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread