GLV2 and the Megalodon, a comparison and review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
We all keep looking for that perfect (for each of us) vape, the “sweet” spot, that gives us the flavor, vapor, warmth, and throat hit that we each find most satisfying to us. My journey has taken me through: KR808D-1s and cartos; 901 atties; 801 atties; the Boge Leo; the BB; the Riva; and the Roughstack. I’ve tried 510 standard atties, LR atties, 510 SLB cartos, 510 standard Boge cartos, 510 LR Boge Cartos, Joye cartos, C2E4 cartos, and eGo mega cartos.
Whew.

I suspect that my search is not entirely over. But, with the Megalodon and the GLV2 – I’m close; really, really close. So, on to my impressions.

The Megalodon: versatile, with the ability to use a wide range of batteries including – 16340, 18350, 18650, Electronicstix’s own 5v, 17670 and 14650. It has an adjustment screw in the bottom switch, and an extension tube for the longer batts, or for use of two batteries together for 6v. or 7.4v vaping. It can be bought with any of three connectors – 510, 901 (KR808D-1), or 801. And you can buy the connectors separately if you want to switch them out yourself instead of using an adapter.

My impressions besides the versatility: nice finish and feel; not too heavy; bottom switch can be locked; switch press is firm, perhaps even a little stiff. The adaptability to various batteries is good; however, I have had minor problems with 18350 batteries when used singly being a little too long even with the adjustment screw all the way out. I adjusted by leaving the two parts of the tube unscrewed from each other about 3 mm. The 5v batteries are ok, but only 400 mah, so they need recharging frequently for me. And lastly, the LR Boge cartos that I like to use on it will not make good contact in the 510 connector, so I use a 510 to 901 adapter into a 901 to 510 adapter into the carto, and that works smoothly.

Now, on to the GLV2. I received mine as a prize from Jay at Great Lakes Vapor; but I am under no obligation to offer any but my own honest impressions. I requested a 5v model, and use it with two 16340 batteries, and a 510 connector, with Boge standard resistance cartos (about 3.0 ohm). Fit and finish are very good indeed. I really like the click of the button, which is smooth surfaced, large and comfortable. However it is a bit larger and heavier than the Megalodon – even when the extension tube is on the “Don,” though only marginally then. My only personal quirk about it is that I keep feeling like I’m pushing the button on a remote detonator or something – lol.

Ok so, which do I like and use? Both. The “Don” is my out and about pv because of it’s small size without the extension tube, and the 18350 batts last well for me on the go. It is small and unobtrusive. I take along a Riva battery for a just-in-case backup, but I prefer the extra .5v of the Don. With 2.0 ohm Boge cartos, the th, vapor, flavor and warmth are good.

And the GLV2 is my at home fixture…hands down. A little warmer, pronounced but not overpowering flavor. Ahhh! Satisfaction.
3.7*3.7/2 = 6.845 ohms for the Don. 5*5/3 = 8.33 for the GLV2. And that’s the “sweet spot” for me, with any of my juices – mint/menthol; peach; licorice; sassafras.

The one oddity for me is that sometimes, the 2.0 ohm cartos on the Don will taste scorched even though still wet, while the standard Boge cartos on the 5v GLV2 never have. I think this has more to do with some difference in the cartos, however, than in the pvs. I recommend them both, highly.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
That is kind of cool but at the same time very different from other 5v mods,
cool in that you can use a wider variety of atty combinations
not cool in that no matter what you do your not going to get to 12watts...if you like 12 watts

...I don't even like 10.5 watts but I can see the appeal in the device for people who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread