Making a purchase: The BB or AdapteveR ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
FWIW...

I'll not *speculate on the SB or the BB as I've never used one. They appear to be perfectly fine devices.

I have 2 AdapteveR's. 901 on one and 510 on the other.
Got the 1st one last July, the 2nd in September.
Simple, perfectly functional, as close to sealed as you're likely to get with any easily configurable multi-option device and it's built like a tank.

For the "speculators" out there, Thad's inclusion of a complete spare button assembly is simply one aspect of his take on customer satisfaction.

Reality check people.

Buttons wear out, eventually. When the button finally wears out on one of my AR's, thanks to Thads forward thinking I have a complete replacement ready to go!

*Frustrating, "I've heard", "I believe", "My guess is" , what piffle!

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I own a BB. First the positives.
- Looks and feels great!
- Does 3.7 and 6v.
- Fantastic switch.
Now the negatives.
- Mine (and I think/hope it's only mine) doesn't work at 3.7v nearly as well as my Protege. I cleaned out the over spray but it just doesn't do it for me.
- The only batts for 6v besides using unprotected batts are only 200mAh so I have to change them every hour.

So while it is versatile at both 3.7v and 6v, I don't think it excels at either.
I've never had a problem with my Protege and with the newest mechanical switch available for it, I think the switch problems may be a thing of the past. If you're going to buy a HV PV I'd suggest you look for one that uses CR123 batts. I should be receiving my Prodigy V2 tomorrow!
Sweet!!!

dlynne

Dec 9, 2009
Houston
I have both the BB and the Protege. I have abandoned the Protege due to safety and button issues, and won't use it again.

The button on the BB is solid and well designed, and I can't see any safety or function issues with the button on the BB. However, as noted by a previous poster, I do not get a consistent vapor experience with the BB. It seems I am always tinkering with the bottom spring in order to get a good vape. It could be that I am not doing something right. Also, I am using a 3.7 volt battery, and it could be that a higher volt battery would help. At any rate, the BB has not supplied my perfect vape.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I have both the BB and the Protege. I have abandoned the Protege due to safety and button issues, and won't use it again.

The button on the BB is solid and well designed, and I can't see any safety or function issues with the button on the BB. However, as noted by a previous poster, I do not get a consistent vapor experience with the BB. It seems I am always tinkering with the bottom spring in order to get a good vape. It could be that I am not doing something right. Also, I am using a 3.7 volt battery, and it could be that a higher volt battery would help. At any rate, the BB has not supplied my perfect vape.
I'm curious, what "safety" issues do you have with the Protege? Also, if you have button issues with it, do yourself a favor and pick up the new mechanical switch for it. Problem solved.

dlynne

Dec 9, 2009
Houston
I'm curious, what "safety" issues do you have with the Protege? Also, if you have button issues with it, do yourself a favor and pick up the new mechanical switch for it. Problem solved.

The Protege burned a hole in my purse, and came close to starting a fire. My purse was on the floor, next to my desk at the office. It was smoking very, very badly when I discovered it, and caused my office to be in an uproar.

As far as the Protegy passthrough, the button stopped working after day 3. After spending close to $200 total with the vendor on products, I am not inclined to put out an additional $20 per replacement button, although I agree that the vendor was very nice and offered to did offer to "fix the problem." I know there are a lot of very happy Protege/Protegy users, but I am not one of them.

mergryphon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
- The only batts for 6v besides using unprotected batts are only 200mAh so I have to change them every hour.

I was really wanting a BB because of the smaller size, but now I have Rimp's old SB. I love it. It still pumps vapor at 3.7, and those 18650s last for DAYS. 6v is a winner for me and the CR123a's are lasting me a good long time too. I thought I was a heavy vaper, and I rotate these out far less than I did 10440's on the VP1. In fact I haven't dryed a set out yet, I just put them in to charge before I go to bed and pop the other set in, repeat the next night with the other set.

No need for a USB when the batteries are lasting that long.

The switch is a comfortable dream, best on any device i have. Recessed, smooth, easy to push.

I think I would have gotten a Black Silver bullet on my own though, this sucker eats fingerprints for breakfast, but looks pretty spiffy polished.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
The Protege burned a hole in my purse, and came close to starting a fire. My purse was on the floor, next to my desk at the office. It was smoking very, very badly when I discovered it, and caused my office to be in an uproar.

As far as the Protegy passthrough, the button stopped working after day 3. After spending close to $200 total with the vendor on products, I am not inclined to put out an additional $20 per replacement button, although I agree that the vendor was very nice and offered to did offer to "fix the problem." I know there are a lot of very happy Protege/Protegy users, but I am not one of them.
I'm sorry to hear that:(. All those problems were a result of the original tact switch that was used. I'm not making any excuses for it, it was a bad idea! The new mechanical switch will stop that from ever happening again. I have no affiliation with Puresmoker but I do find that the size and performance of the Protege put it at the top of any 3.7v mod I've tried.

fsu1dolfan

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
South Florida
Well, after reading all your posts (Thank you all!) I decided to go with The BB.

I received it in the mail today, and my concerns with it not vaping well at 3.7 have been washed away as well as the switch...thing works beautifully.

@dlynne
WOW! That is crazy! I hope it didn't take out any of your cash in there...

That is awesome!! I decided to go with the BB as well and placed the order last friday. I am vey excited to jump into a bigger better PV.

Lubes

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Portage Lakes, Ohio
I have a Chuck that I use at home but have been looking for a "pocket friendly" mod that is reasonable in size and has a switch that won't accidentally activate. The BB is on my short list but I'm worried about the switch going off in my pocket. It sure looks like it would because the switch is not recessed like on the Silver Bullet. Has anyone had any problems with this?

My list of best "pocket friendly" mods is at this point in time:

Nautilus
Chameleon
SB (although a bit large in size)
GLV
Bartleby

Any comments or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread