BB & SB/BSB - Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

spivey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2009
VA
Right now I currently have Protege and a Prodigy V2. I'm having issues getting the adapters replaced because of 'accidents' and am getting tired of waiting. I'm not knocking on PS, but I have a nicotine addiction to deal with.

What is the difference between the BB and SB? The only 2 things I can find are the size (the BB is smaller) and the SB can be used at 6v, but it's not recommended.

Is this all? It looks as though the BB would be a equivalent to the Protege in size and performance. Is there anyone that has both that can comment on this?

Thanks.

Edit: One more thing - don't the BB and Protege use the same batteries?

biophox

Jan 21, 2010
Ohio
Yep ya hit the nail on the head. The big differences between the two are the battery and the switch. The SB uses the 18650 and lasts me about 2 days of solid vaping, and you can also put in two rcr123a batteries for 6v vaping. The SB also has a Recessed switch so it doesn’t fire in my pocket.

P.S. yes both the BB and the Protege use a 14500 battery.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Don't forget... BB has a passthru bottom available. Very nice! Use it with the enercell power supply for selectable vaping at (3v), 5v, 6v, (or 7.5v).

The SB is probably going to have an optional passthru available in the near future.
The BB is probably going to have an optional bottom for a 6v battery solution in the near future.

I have the BB and passthru. One of my primary criterium was size. This will fit in your pocket very conveniently. You can carry it in a dress/casual shirt pocket without it making your pocket sag and it fits complete in the pocket at an angle. It probably weighs a little more than a pack of cigarettes with the battery in it.

manufacturing quality (and all the components), fit and finish, and customer service are second to none. (you're probably already aware of that).

haha, adapters? I believe Altsmoke did the original design of all the adapters out there.

Last edited:

Boredwalk

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2010
NJ
I have a BB(black), SB, and a (pink))BB for my wife.
I keep the SB on my desk(s), and use the BB when I'm mobile. The SB with a 18650 lasts all day and with the BB I usually carry an extra 14500 (I am happy with 3.7)
I don't exactly know what kind of "accidents" you are having, but if they are customer service related, you can rest assured that will not (based on my experience) be a problem with Altsmoke.
These people put out a quality product and stand behind it. You will understand better when you actually hold one of these pieces in your hand and use it.
In my opinion Altsmoke is a superior supplier and I will look to them first when looking for supplies.
My next purchase will be a BB passthru.

jgrubb

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
I have the protege, BsB, and the BB.. Major differences between the BB and protege is the thickness of the shaft and the button. The button on the BB reminds me of the analog button on a Playstation controller. The button is as big as my thumbprint, where the button on the protege is much smaller. BB is much wider than the protege. SB is much larger in size, but the button is recessed and almost impossible to set off in your pocket. One thing i was shocked on was the 14500 batts in the protege were much shorter than the ones i got when ordering my BB. BB and BsB comes with a 510 connection, and then you buy adapters that screw into the 510 connection if you choose a different atty style. Battery life is the same between the BB and protege, BsB with 18650 will last almost two days, but is somewhat heavy... All are great devices, the BB is the most comfortable in the hand, my opinion of course.. Hope that helps :)

spivey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2009
VA
I don't exactly know what kind of "accidents" you are having...

I've had a few close calls with a curious young'n trying to grab it, resulting in some nasty crashes to the floor. This left the atty hanging at a 90 degree angle to the battery holder.

Twice this has happened and it's stripped the threads on the adapter.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
BB -- *The Switch: 200,000 clicks electrical/1,000,000 mechanical
SB -- Switch: 200,000 clicks electrical/1,000,000 mechanical

I believe that means they are rated to make/withstand at least 200,000 electrical connect/disconnect cycles (the contacts) and the spring/button mechanism is rated to withstand at least 1,000,000 compression/releases.

I'd say they designed it with a commercial grade switch?

Last edited:

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
Thanks everyone. I think I've made up my mind on the BB for now.

By the way how are the 401 attys on the BB? One of the things I miss w/ my protege is I can't use the 401s I have.
I use a 401 sometimes on a BSB and also on a VP2 with a 14500 battery. Altsmoke has a 510/401 adapter you'll need to do that. The 401 will work the same on any device that uses a 14500.

Last edited:

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
Hopefully my BB w/ a 401 adapter will be arriving today - I'm really getting frustrated with my jimmy-rigged Protege and carrying around a V2 in public - earns me some really strange looks (not that I mind, if someone asks I explain it. It's the ones that don't ask that have the worst preconceived notions).
Don't know how deep the BB fitting is, but on my SB I have to put the adapter into the 401 first, then into the SB, this creates the proper connection and airflow through the atty for the best performance. See, the adapter is actually two pieces, an inside shaft floating inside the threaded collar, with silicone separating the two, so the inside shaft will move up if you screw the atty all the way into the SB connection, which in turn inhibits the 401 connection from seating properly. I have read in a couple places that it should be done in that order... or the opposite :confused: So just giving you a headsup because I haven't read of anyone else using a 401 on an Altsmoke device yet.

gratefulbuddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
KC MO USA
on my SB I have to put the adapter into the 401 first, then into the SB, this creates the proper connection and airflow through the atty for the best performance. ..... I have read in a couple places that it should be done in that order... or the opposite :confused: So just giving you a headsup because I haven't read of anyone else using a 401 on an Altsmoke device yet.

From AltSmoke-Battery Adapter Maintenance:
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you put the adapter on the battery end first! There is no need to screw these down as tight as you possibly can get them as this could damage the silicia/contact and cause an issue with the adapter to not work properly. Once the adapter is properly screwed (NOT OVER TIGHTENED) into the battery, screw the atomizer onto the unit, once again do not over tighten.

This is how I have used Rob's 410 adapter on my SB and DBSB without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread