Making a purchase: The BB or AdapteveR ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DapperDan

Oct 18, 2009
Iowa
Ok, since battery life sucks hard with the stock 510 batteries, I feel I need a battery mod. I've narrowed my search down to two seemingly splendid mods, The BB and the AdapteveR.

Things I like about both:
-Both can be made high voltage easily.
-Both cost exactly the same.
-Both are from reputable and quality dealers.

Worries about the AdapteveR:
-Going HV means size gets loooong.
-The switch is on the bottom.

Worries about The BB:
-The switch (So many horror stories from the Prodigy and the Protege have me worried whenever I see a side mounted switch, even though The BB is not affiliated with PureSmoker.)

Strengths of the AdapteveR:
-Solderless!
-Parts at Radio Shack

Strengths of The BB:
-3.7v and 6.0v in the same device!
-Button position

Those are the MAIN pros and con(cerns) I'm having with these two devices.

I'm looking for some input as to whether the switch on The BB is as durable as that of the AdapteveR. Do you own a BB and have some insight?

I'd also like to know whether the HV experience on The BB is worth the expense. I've read elsewhere on these forums that The BB at 6v is not the same as 6v on the Silver Bullet. Not a huge issue, but is there at least a noticeable difference from 3.7 to 6 on The BB?

I really don't want to spend $100+ on a device whose switch will end up crapping out in a month or whose switch may activate in my pocket (AdapteveR) and burn me out...not to mention get as long as...well...:p

PLEASE help me make this decision. I've been looking at these devices exclusively for the last week and I am still completely torn between the two!

Thanks All. :thumbs:

SKYYcamel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2009
Mississippi
I don't own a BB, but I do have an AdapteveR and I love it! It's a workhorse and tough as the day is long. I personally love the bottom switch, but I don't carry it in my pocket. Thad, maker of the unit, is a stand up guy and a great vendor. True, it is a little long at 6V, but not that bad really. I say get the AdapteveR. You won't be sorry.

I don't own a BB, but I do have an AdapteveR and I love it! It's a workhorse and tough as the day is long. I personally love the bottom switch, but I don't carry it in my pocket. Thad, maker of the unit, is a stand up guy and a great vendor. True, it is a little long at 6V, but not that bad really. I say get the AdapteveR. You won't be sorry.

waitwaitwait. Somebody named Thad makes the AdapteveR?? I need to investigate further!!

-Thad

EDIT: Wow. That's a trip. That's a nice looking mod, too. I might have to get one just to support my namesake! To the OP: You should get an Xhaler first. With the coupon code, you can get an Xhaler with batteries and adapters to use 5V or 6V and 801, 901, 510, & cartos for the same price or less. Mix and match voltages and attys until you find what you like.

Last edited:

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I don't have either, I do have a SB, and love it. MY concern with the Adaptever is why should it come with spare parts? Is it already a maintenance problem, like buying something at harbor freight they just give you the spare parts, fix it or throw it away? My guess is, it the same problem as the Screwdriver switch on bottom when you drop it, you have to call HOUSTON! It's just a bullet proof switch on the SB. What do know is after you leave 3.7 into high voltage you never return. Hope this helps. Good luck

DapperDan

Oct 18, 2009
Iowa
I own a BB and the switch is rated as: 200,000 clicks electrical/1,000,000 mechanical
I can't see this switch being a problem...
True, but I'm sure the Prodigy and Protege have similar ratings which didn't stop many from having huge problems with those switches...

I'm just concerned that The BB's switch, as it is different than the SB's (which is an all-star), will have "bugs" like that of the Prodigy/Protege...

I don't have either, I do have a SB, and love it. MY concern with the Adaptever is why should it come with spare parts? Is it already a maintenance problem, like buying something at harbor freight they just give you the spare parts, fix it or throw it away? My guess is, it the same problem as the Screwdriver switch on bottom when you drop it, you have to call HOUSTON! It's just a bullet proof switch on the SB. What do know is after you leave 3.7 into high voltage you never return. Hope this helps. Good luck
Good Point! I would assume it's in case of a drop, but that does make me raise an eyebrow.

Ughh! Decisions, decisions...

Got a feeling I may just have to flip a coin...dangit! ;)

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
I have yet to hear of a BB switch problem. Now with the Prodigy yea you have to say that is a fail switch when you have too buy backups for it......

With the SB switch there is a week of a breaking in point. Where if the switch is going to fail that's when it's going to fail. That is very rare, but with anything man made there is going to be problems with some.

I own a BB/SB(love them both), but not a adapteveR. I have read that the adapteveR is not sealed, and so with dripping I don't think it would be a PV pick for me.

I can say that it takes a little force for the BB switch to go off, and so I have not had a problem with it going off in my pocket yet.

DapperDan

Oct 18, 2009
Iowa
Thanks DaMulta!

When you got your BB, did you have any problems with over-spray from the powder coating process? This thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/altsmoke/51930-problems-bb.html
Or for that matter, is 3.7 enjoyable on it?

I have to say that the switch on these devices are both the biggest pluses and minuses for both...love hate relationship for both.

It's really great to hear that you've had no problems with the BB going off in your pocket though...

DaMulta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
T-Town Oklahoma
Thanks DaMulta!

When you got your BB, did you have any problems with over-spray from the powder coating process? This thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/altsmoke/51930-problems-bb.html
Or for that matter, is 3.7 enjoyable on it?

I have to say that the switch on these devices are both the biggest pluses and minuses for both...love hate relationship for both.

It's really great to hear that you've had no problems with the BB going off in your pocket though...

The over spray was really a first run problem that has been fixed. They now stuff the insides of the BB before they are painted to stop that from even happening more so. From what I heard it was more of a problem with the krinkle than the smooth ver. PLUS they look out for that problem now; before they even ship them out to altsmoke.

altsmoke is where you can get a BB Quitter, and or a list of links to find them in other countries besides the US.

To be honest I have not ran my BB at 3.7v. I only use it as a high voltage device, and under load it's the same as the SB voltage wise.

Mr Sinister

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Illinois
Here is where to get the BB Altsmoke

I started the "Problems with the BB" thread. I ended up sending it back to get whatever the problem was fixed. It was a fast turn around and everything is good now, so customer service is great for altsmoke. The button is not a problem at all with going off in your pocket of misfires or any problems whatsoever. The button on the SB is essentially the same. Shape and color are the only difference.

DapperDan

Oct 18, 2009
Iowa
Can I just interject for a moment here? I feel the need to point out the fact that you are basing your cons or worries on the BB upon known issues with the Prodigy & Protege. It's like not wanting to buy a Coca Cola because you heard that Pepsi sucks.
I know, I know...It's just worrisome to me whenever I see a side-mounted switch anymore...especially since I was seriously considering the Protege for a while. The logic is flawed, sure, but it's still something I think about for some reason...:confused:

As for everyone's contributions, THANK YOU!

I think I'm going to go with the BB! My first mod! The fact that it's a HV and a LV in the same device just rocks! Also, after reading back through the thread that Mr Sinister started about the BB problems, I see that most "problems" were simply first run and no longer an issue.

Now I'll always wonder what I will miss with the AdapteveR...until I crack and buy one of those too...8-o

Thanks again everybody! ECF rocks!

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
I have read that the adapteveR is not sealed, and so with dripping I don't think it would be a PV pick for me.

Baloney! The connector is sealed.

To the OP, either a BB or an AdapteveR would be a great choice for a new PV. I own the AdapteveR. It feels great in the hand, is plain simple to operate and just works, and very well. The BB looks like a terrific device, too.

fsu1dolfan

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
South Florida
The over spray was really a first run problem that has been fixed. They now stuff the insides of the BB before they are painted to stop that from even happening more so. From what I heard it was more of a problem with the krinkle than the smooth ver. PLUS they look out for that problem now; before they even ship them out to altsmoke.

altsmoke is where you can get a BB Quitter, and or a list of links to find them in other countries besides the US.

To be honest I have not ran my BB at 3.7v. I only use it as a high voltage device, and under load it's the same as the SB voltage wise.

I have been thinking about the BB and had a few questions posted around but not getting the answers i need. Hope maybe you can help.

Where did you get the batteries for the 6v BB??

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been thinking about the BB and had a few questions posted around but not getting the answers i need. Hope maybe you can help.

Where did you get the batteries for the 6v BB??

Protected cr2's at www.southsummit.com make sure to get at least 2 sets so you can rotate them:)
RIMP:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread