Status
Not open for further replies.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Continuing from "Reputable Battery Vendors" that is now closed, I need to order more batteries for my Reo Grands. My vape has not changed. Still using :: 3/32 bit : Single Coil : 28g Kanthal : 6 wraps : 1.1ohm : Rayon OR Koh Gen Do Japanese Cotton... in the RM3.

I'm not sure about which to order. I'll be ordering from RTD Vapors, and would prefer the AW. Since I cannot find them, it's down to these two. It's been years since I've ordered batteries, so ...do I need 'Protected' or 'Unprotected'?

Sony 18650 VTC5A 2600mAh

LG 18650 HD2 2000mAh 25A

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
...20amp?
? Really? That’s more than I would have thought. I didn’t do the math though, I just ball parked it. If it’s really going to pull 20amp you definitely need the 25amp battery. 25amp is shiny new and dead full. Batteries age.
It seems high though... tiny little MTL non sub ohm coil like that... bah. Now I gotta do the math...

UPDATE: OK. That explains a bit. I’m getting ~.43ohm. Not 1.1. Something is not right somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: ed101z

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
A 1.1 ohm coil on a mechanical device is only drawing 4amps tops. Not very demanding at all.

Looking at Mooch’s test for both subjects, the Sony will give you better battery life. But agree with @bombastinator in that you would enjoy extended battery life with a 3000mAh cell. If your preferred cut off is 3.2 volts, the Samsung 30Q, LG HG2 and Sony VT6 all preform very similar.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
A 1.1 ohm coil on a mechanical device is only drawing 4amps tops. Not very demanding at all.

Looking at Mooch’s test for both subjects, the Sony will give you better battery life. But agree with @bombastinator in that you would enjoy extended battery life with a 3000mAh cell. If your preferred cut off is 3.2 volts, the Samsung 30Q, LG HG2 and Sony VT6 all preform very similar.
Seems the issue is the math is funny... my math it seems. Screwed up the GUI of my coil calculator. I never use inch sizes for mandrels so I put it in the wrong slot.

Improved “math”: assuming 8mm legs it’s 3.2amp.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Seems the issue is the math is funny... my math it seems. Screwed up the GUI of my coil calculator. I never use inch sizes for mandrels so I put it in the wrong slot.

Improved “math”: assuming 8mm legs it’s 3.2amp.

I don’t do math, I have a cat. They invent math along with physics, the pyramids, atom bomb and Godzilla! But the OP did say a 1.1ohm coil. So unless his decimal place is too far to the right, that’s a pretty low current draw.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Agreeeing with above, mostly.
You don't nEED high amp capacity, so you can get longer run time...

Considering that, my favorites include:
LGHG2 (the brown ones)
Samsung 30Q (pink ones)
and Samsung 25R (blue/green)

These have proven long run time and long life for me...

Continuing from "Reputable Battery Vendors" that is now closed, I need to order more batteries for my Reo Grands. My vape has not changed. Still using :: 3/32 bit : Single Coil : 28g Kanthal : 6 wraps : 1.1ohm : Rayon OR Koh Gen Do Japanese Cotton... in the RM3.

I'm not sure about which to order. I'll be ordering from RTD Vapors, and would prefer the AW. Since I cannot find them, it's down to these two. It's been years since I've ordered batteries, so ...do I need 'Protected' or 'Unprotected'?

Sony 18650 VTC5A 2600mAh

LG 18650 HD2 2000mAh 25A

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Extra notes:
- if you haven't ordered batteries in years, you'll probably notice a little kick in performance. Hit a little harder when fresh, and run a lot longer
- you need "unprotected"
- I run all three of these just fine in my Reos!

Agreeeing with above, mostly.
You don't nEED high amp capacity, so you can get longer run time...

Considering that, my favorites include:
LGHG2 (the brown ones)
Samsung 30Q (pink ones)
and Samsung 25R (blue/green)

These have proven long run time and long life for me...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don’t do math, I have a cat. They invent math along with physics, the pyramids, atom bomb and Godzilla! But the OP did say a 1.1ohm coil. So unless his decimal place is too far to the right, that’s a pretty low current draw.
No you got it more right than me.
I learned not to do math myself. I’m making my phone do it and it seems I’m messing even that up as to cats captain marvel is a must see
upload_2019-3-19_23-48-2.jpg

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
The AW 1600mah was recommended on here because of the 24amps working better when the battery drops from 4.20 to 3.75. I always changed batteries when I reached the 3.75 mark. I don't ever see me going below 1.1ohms either. This thing still kicks my .... where it's at.

I may try the LG 18650 HG2 3000mAh 20a Button Top because of the button top. Thanks for the replies. They surely helped a lot. :thumb:

To be sure, does RTD Vapor still maintain their integrity by selling authentic batteries? :2cool:

Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@ed101z – If I may ask, why a cut off at 3.7 volts? Many cells enter their nominal operating range in the 3.6 to 3.7 volt range. This is the voltage the cell operates for the longest.
Also the very top of a cell’s capacity is where it’s the least efficient to charge and causes the most wear. The most efficient to charge and least wear is something like 60-80%.

If you want the most amps just get a VV mod. It takes care of that for you.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If you want the most amps just get a VV mod. It takes care of that for you.

How so? If your preferred vape is 1.1ohms at 4.2 volts, which draws roughly 3.8 amps. With a variable wattage device, this would be identical to setting the power to 16 watts using the same coil.

Now if you mean consistent amps, then yes, a regulated device will provide a consistent current draw across the life of the battery.

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
I may try the LG 18650 HG2 3000mAh 20a Button Top because of the button top. Thanks for the replies. They surely helped a lot. :thumb:

To be sure, does RTD Vapor still maintain their integrity by selling authentic batteries? :2cool:

Be aware that the LG HG2 button-tops are no good for the Reo, Jan @JC Okie tried them but found that LG stuck a button on top of the flat top and it makes it too long and over-compresses the spring. I've been using the LG HG2 flat-top for several years now and they work fine - no magnets and with 3000mAh they last well.
DaveD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread