Is it just me or this some poor advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x7712x0ra

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
TN USA
www.saffireecigs.com
I tell everyone that it's an electronic cigarette. While I can understand why some of you prefer different monikers, in my mind it immediately answers a lot of peoples questions. By now most people have heard of an electronic cigarette, by telling them my eGo is one usually elicits an "ahh" response rather than confused looks.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I tell everyone that it's an electronic cigarette. While I can understand why some of you prefer different monikers, in my mind it immediately answers a lot of peoples questions. By now most people have heard of an electronic cigarette, by telling them my eGo is one usually elicits an "ahh" response rather than confused looks.

We use diff monikers because by saying electronic cigarette you (in the minds of the uninitiated) lump us in w the smokers. Therfore making the fight to seperate vaping from smoking, that much harder. We do not want to be forced to vape outside, as there is no need for it. We must take every opportunity to differenciate ourselves from the smokers. We are not smokers, we are not smoking, we will not be seen as such. We must not be seen as such.
That is why we use monikers, or wait. Is calling my personal vaporizer a personal vaporizer, using a moniker?;)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

We use diff monikers because by saying electronic cigarette you (in the minds of the uninitiated) lump us in w the smokers. Therfore making the fight to seperate vaping from smoking, that much harder. We do not want to be forced to vape outside, as there is no need for it. We must take every opportunity to differenciate ourselves from the smokers. We are not smokers, we are not smoking, we will not be seen as such. We must not be seen as such.
That is why we use monikers, or wait. Is calling my personal vaporizer a personal vaporizer, using a moniker?;)

I agree with Kwalka. I'm not concerned at all if the uninformed are initially confused. I DON'T want to be considered a smoker in any way, shape or fashion. And I sure as heck don't want the public in general to think that vaping is the same as smoking. I have no problem with the term "vaper" or "vapor", etc. It's not a silly term to me. There just needs to be a clear delineation in phraseology between vaping and smoking when talking to the general public.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I never, ever use the word cigarette. I have heard FAR too many people say something like "Oh, you still smoke cigarettes. Just because they're electronic doesn't mean you don't smoke cigarettes."

As long as the word "cigarette" is attached to PVs, every uninitiated person will immediately make assumptions that need to be overcome. Every person, especially non-smokers, will have pre-conceived negative ideas, negative emotions and negative impressions.

Then you have the ANTZ and there is no satisying them. My standard retort for obvious hostiles is to tell them it's a medical device. That causes an immediate end to the inquiry. In reality, it IS a medical device. It's a medical inhaler that prevents some symptoms that they really don't want to see.

For the merely curious, perhaps we should just call it an "atomizer". That's an accurate description of its function and doesn't sound like drug paraphernalia. Only the already familiar will be aware of the actual atomizer part, so it won't confuse anyone and it has no negative connotations that I'm aware of. Sounds vaguely medical too.

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Do you ever wonder if "Big Tobacco" has entered the PV and Juice Market? I wonder that a lot.... Eventually as this catches on if they haven't already... I can see them climbing on board. There is a huge future in vaping. IMHO (which I had to Google by the way what it meant Lol :) )

I was part of a thread a week or so ago, and they said for sure that Philip Morris had already developed a product. We were discussing the ramifications of that kind of $ squashing all the mom & pop vendors.

enchantedwonder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
California
I wondered Kwalka.... I love the Mom and Pop operations so I really hope they can continue... Thank you for replying to that.

I was part of a thread a week or so ago, and they said for sure that Philip Morris had already developed a product. We were discussing the ramifications of that kind of $ squashing all the mom & pop vendors.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
I never, ever use the word cigarette. I have heard FAR too many people say something like "Oh, you still smoke cigarettes. Just because they're electronic doesn't mean you don't smoke cigarettes."

As long as the word "cigarette" is attached to PVs, every uninitiated person will immediately make assumptions that need to be overcome. Every person, especially non-smokers, will have pre-conceived negative ideas, negative emotions and negative impressions.

Then you have the ANTZ and there is no satisying them. My standard retort for obvious hostiles is to tell them it's a medical device. That causes an immediate end to the inquiry. In reality, it IS a medical device. It's a medical inhaler that prevents some symptoms that they really don't want to see.

For the merely curious, perhaps we should just call it an "atomizer". That's an accurate description of its function and doesn't sound like drug paraphernalia. Only the already familiar will be aware of the actual atomizer part, so it won't confuse anyone and it has no negative connotations that I'm aware of. Sounds vaguely medical too.
Right on! :thumb: If 'inhaler' isn't sufficient (because it doesn't look like a standard 'puffer'), I then offer up 'vaporizer' as a further explanation. Everybody knows what a vaporizer is.

VaporPhreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Technically, use of PV is closer to the use of one of those big noisy breathing treatment machines than to smoking. I explain it as such and draw parallels to inhalers rather than tobacco cigs. While this may cause more initial confusion and thus a longer conversation, it also helps most people think of it in the proper light. Just my :2c:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
That's the best one I've heard so that's what I'm going with.

I just had a thought...Imagine what the user manual would say if that connotation stuck? The last page after assembly. "Then simply insert the Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System in your mouth and draw lightly until the light blinks". Of course it would be abbreviated.

ColKurtz

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC USA
I really don't have an issue with "e-cigarette" like many here. For me, it is circumstantial, especially if a smoker is asking. If I'm out on the patio of a bar with other smokers, for example, if someone asks what it is I usually say "electronic cigarette" (I have an Ego with ego booster, which is pretty long, so I actually say Electronic Cigar). It's easier for smokers to relate and strike up a conversation... "I always wanted to see one of those", "I've heard of them", etc. If I say "it's my vaporizer", I've actually seen them apologize and move off, presumably because they think I'm an asthmatic or something and trying not to kill me with 2nd hand smoke. If I say "it's my nicotine inhaler", I would most likely get a funny look followed up with "So it's an electronic cigarette?". So I just cut to the chase.

Also, I can usually tell if someone is genuinely curious, or whether they are bringing it up because they are concerned/irritated. I have no problem calling it an "electronic cigarette" with someone who seems curious. Most people have heard of them, and almost these conversations discuss how it is not smoke. The latter "concerned" type, in my experience, doesn't want to engage in a debate. They want you to....stop making stuff come out of your mouth. With those types, I usually keep it short and say "inhaler" as it disarms them a bit.

I think a bigger disservice is for those who say "it's water vapor". It's not, and stating so makes vapers seem dishonest to the busy-body types; that we're un-informed at best, and that the public needs theses nicotine-infused chemicals need to be regulated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread