Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Why? Atomizer is probably more accurate than vaporizer. What's produced is an aerosol, not a gas. Straight off the heat source, it may be vapor, but that quickly condenses into an aerosol. My understanding is that early e-cigs used an ultrasonic atomizer, where vapor would have never been produced.

Perhaps "nebulizer" would better than either, but that has drug connotations, which it behooves the industry to avoid.

Unless you're thinking of "atomization" as breaking molecular bonds, which is a less common, alternate meaning.

Are you a Doctor? Does your last name begin with a 'G'?

I think I might know you...

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
Well, no you don't, actually...lol

Also, GOOGLE.

Yeah, but you know what I meant.:2cool:

A bit of a poke at the OP's comments about "club speak". Anything can be translated by google!

Far as I know HTFU is an exclusive EVE Online thing, and Dust 514 too... but it started with EVE and the devs even made a music video about it (the developers have a good sense of humor).

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Mike, I've been around the vaping world quite a bit and while I think you're just trying to be antagonistic I will bite anyway.

When I first started Vaping a few years ago (took a side turn and went back to smoking for a while) e-smoking was used almost more than vaping. Vaping in the term that stuck and it's a good term since you are turning liquid into a vapor rater than burning rubbish to get your nic.

Mod: When I first started vaping if you wanted a longer battery life you had to track down a longer cigalike battery. I have the 12 in long batteries to prove it too. Mod is a modification on the original design of the cigalike battery. It's not perfectly used, but this is what it stems from. (i think). That ad a mix of the homebrews that started to pop up.

VV/VW. This was huge when it landed and the idea of being able to contrail the voltage of your device yourself. Before we had very little control of our PVs and the power they delivered. So being able to vary based on likes/ what was best for our atomizer/juice needs was astounding. We control the variable the variable does not control us.

Clearo-carto-groucho. These really need not explaining since they are all terms for very different kinds of equipment. Example: Clearo is a term that can be applied universally, glasso however is not. It describes a clearo made of glass instead of plastic, important if you use juice that might crack plastic.

All these terms have grown with the industry and have become what they are for a reason. As of today they are valid and commonly used. 5 years from now who knows.

I say don't sweat the small stuff.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
Just responding to the OP, weighing in. I don't like the language of vaping either. I don't even like the word e-cigarette. It isn't a cigarette. I prefer personal vaporizer or PV. If it weren't a brand name already, I would love the term vaporette, after the Italian word "vaporetto", little steam engine. Instead of eliquid or ejuice or even juice, I prefer elixir, because the liquids are a bit mysterious in terms of flavor blends and ingredients. It is said that the liquids contain only PG, VG and flavorings, but I know that some contain alcohol and some contain water. Some contain essential oils (tank crackers). I prefer "vaporing" over "vaping". Every time I say "vaping" to someone who doesn't do it or know about it, they say "WHAT???" As for clearo, atty and all that, I don't mind as much. A clearomizer is what I use, a clear tank which contains the atomizer within, and it is a bit cumbersome to say. I don't know of any good shorthand for it. If I just say "tank" then it will be confused with a cartridge atomizer tank or cartotank. I dunno. Sometimes I just say T3 or CE or whatever it is, when posting on ECF or Spinfuel. Otherwise, the people around me haven't a clue.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Marvin_the_Martian_by_raelynn36.jpg

Melvin

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
OK, I'm a newbie. Picked this up as about a month ago as what I believe to be a better alternative to smoking tobacco. I've spent much more time than necessary understanding what's what. All I read/hear in the "vaping" world reminds me of all the BS in the audiophile world of subjectivity over objectivity, form over function, obscure terminology for obfuscation instead of understanding.

If indeed the industry is its own worst enemy, would we be more concerned about addressing the myths and misinformation about vaping? Or would we be more concerned about semantics? [/B]

Whoah! Don't mess with Sally! (Very good post, by the way!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread