How do I stop my carto tank from flooding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Smoktech cartomizers use a less dense filler material; they are easier to load with juice, but may flood more easily. Boge uses a more dense filler; they are harder to load with juice, but may be less likely to flood. They also might be tougher to wick adequately, so dry hits might occur. So depending upon the brand you are using you likely will experience different results.

Individual vaping techniques can play a role. Vapors who have a heavy draw tend to pull too much liquid into the carto which can lead flooding. A gentler, consistant, smooth draw of 3-6 seconds is generally what I have found to work best with a cartotank. If you watch PBusardo when he vapes on a tank, he frequently takes what I call "pipe puffs". You probably have seen tobacco pipe smokers who just do short in and out puffs, which I believe helps prime the juice delivery from the tank to the carto. Take notice when you watch Phil do this.

I B Brett

Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I had so much trouble with carto tanks flooding that I gave all of them to a friend who uses only carto tanks ! I've moved on to clearomizers and have never looked back ! I really like the Kanger T3's but you have to be careful not to tighten them down to much or you end up with leaks ! Once I figured that out I've had no problems !

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I had a bad vape weekend with this exact same issue. I wasn't feeling my vivi novas (muted taste), and was sick of dripping so I pulled out some of my new smoktech tanks and pre-punched single coil smoketech cartos and stated to fill them. The first one flooded like crazy, so I picked a thicker juice (night lite vapors "gold") and filled another one... this time I didn't put near as much into the carto during the initial filling stage, slid it into the tank and only filled the tank 1/3rd of the way. I let the tank sit for a few hours so the carto would get nice and wet since I didn't put much juice directly into the carto during the initial fill stage..... Same damn thing happened. After a few pulls it started gurgling and then flooded like crazy.

I don’t understand it. I have used carto tanks before with no issues. I have used smoketech carto tanks before with no issue. I have 2 of them sitting on my vape stand right now that I can leave there for weeks at a time, then pick them up and vape them with no issues or flooding.

Not sure what's going on. I'm getting frustrated, but will not write off carto tanks because I’ve had them work and work really well before. I think I might give the Boge ones a try. Sounds like there better for thinner juice and heaver vapers. But that still doesn't explain why I’ve had luck with the ST ones before, but not now.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Smoktech cartomizers use a less dense filler material; they are easier to load with juice, but may flood more easily. Boge uses a more dense filler; they are harder to load with juice, but may be less likely to flood. They also might be tougher to wick adequately, so dry hits might occur. So depending upon the brand you are using you likely will experience different results.

Individual vaping techniques can play a role. Vapors who have a heavy draw tend to pull too much liquid into the carto which can lead flooding. A gentler, consistant, smooth draw of 3-6 seconds is generally what I have found to work best with a cartotank. If you watch PBusardo when he vapes on a tank, he frequently takes what I call "pipe puffs". You probably have seen tobacco pipe smokers who just do short in and out puffs, which I believe helps prime the juice delivery from the tank to the carto. Take notice when you watch Phil do this.

Late to the party, as usual. I have the smoketech 2 hole ones, and use 80PG/20VG juice. Had this problem too, but followed Baditude's guideline, and have no more issues. Yea, I was sucking too hard. :blush:

monacelli

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Harrisburg, PA
I just started using carto tanks a few days ago. I over-punched my first two which led to flooding. After getting punching down I stopped using the condom method to prime the carto. I let the punched carto sit in the filled tank for a few minutes and take a few drags every now and then (without it being on my PV). You can see the juice level go down as the carto sucks it up. Now that I have my process down it's been good times, no more flooded cartos and gurgling. I find the taste of a carto tank to be not as muted compared to a Vivi Nova or T3. Definitely going to pick up a few more.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I just started using carto tanks a few days ago. I over-punched my first two which led to flooding. After getting punching down I stopped using the condom method to prime the carto. I let the punched carto sit in the filled tank for a few minutes and take a few drags every now and then (without it being on my PV). You can see the juice level go down as the carto sucks it up. Now that I have my process down it's been good times, no more flooded cartos and gurgling. I find the taste of a carto tank to be not as muted compared to a Vivi Nova or T3. Definitely going to pick up a few more.

Yea, the T3 are one of the worst tasting clearos I've ever used... the nova's seemed to have gone down hill as well. I have an older mini that tastes good, but the new metal ones I got (can't remember what they call them) don't taste very good.

I need to figure out my fool proof method as well... not sure why my last 2 flooded, but the ones before never did. Maybe it was a bad few cartos, I had two boxes of them. Always pulled from one box and had no issues, then I was cleaning up the vape-cave and combined two smoktech boxes worth of cartos. Now I'm not sure when our where I bought whichever one I pull out the box.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Skyway

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2009
NC - USA
www.bsvoboda.com
I haven't been having any luck with ST cartos either. I have some single coil single hole cartos and decided to try them since I have an artemis tank. Damn things started leaking after about 5 mins. I don't have this problem with boge, but boge are tasting like crap lately since this whole problem started last summer. In a pack of 5 boge cartos, I can get maybe 1 or 2 of them to not have a funny taste.
I have decided to try some of the horizontal coil kangar cartos to see if that helps. Although they will be getting here with my Amp tank so they probably wont see the light of day compared to that.

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field
It's funny.. I have said before on this forum that Vivi's, Kangers, etc are all more "consistent" in my estimation as far as changing out the heads and getting on with vaping.. I, like many of you have been extremely frustrated with the inconsistency from carto to carto..but right now I seem to be on a good run with these latest Boges.. These are pre-punched but I have been adding an extra hole and poking a bit because the filler is so tight.. but they have been performing stellar in my Phiniac..

Bad is right - You may have to alter your draw style a bit or change vendors..

When a carto is good.. it's really good!..but when you get on a bad run .. it's enough to drive you crazy...and back to clearos.. Hang in there!

mainevaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2013
maine
I really like the Kanger T3's but you have to be careful not to tighten them down to much or you end up with leaks ! Once I figured that out I've had no problems !

Hmmm... is that what's causing my leaking problems with the t3's? I will keep this in mind... it very well may be why mine all of a sudden leak. I wasn't tightening them enough before, and had one leak all over me, so maybe I have been over tightening them since, and that's why they gurgle and leak all over my battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread