Hi, quick maintenance questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

strawhatlad

Jun 20, 2015
Hey, ECF folks.

I'm new to vaping, and got myself a kanger mini subtank using the sub ohm occ coils. I have a few questions about cleaning and refilling.

I have 3 different juices and I figure I'd be rotating between them, so at what point am I suppose to refill my tanks? Before it goes below the cotton holes on the coil head?

Also, I've been reading about rinsing and soaking the coil head in vodka/alcohol (does rubbing alcohol work?) to clean it out. Now my concern is am I able to do this WITH the cotton still in the coil then let it dry completely, or am I suppose to remove the cotton and only soak the steel piece

And lastly, what is the best way to clean the clearomizer? From my understanding that's just the glass piece?

thanks

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi @strawhatlad , I have a few of the Subtank Mini's and use the OCC coils. I usually don't refil my tanks until they are just about out, but it's best to refill with a little in them so you don't chance a dry hit.

I would not use rubbing alcohol to soak the coil head. Even though it mostly evaporates it's not worth the chance that it won't. I have used vodka and it seems to do well. I have soaked a coil in vodka and reused it, the vodka takes away a lot of the flavor trapped in the cotton. Let it dry completely.

As to cleaning I wash mine out whenever I swap juices. (having more than one I don't miss any vape time) Sometimes the glass can be a little difficult to get off and running it under really cold water seems to help.

The OCC coils are easy to rebuild. Check for video's on you tube, and also look for the Kuro Koiler on there.

Good luck in your vape journey.

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
Best practice would be to refill before it drops below the holes in the coil.

I don't bother with vodka while cleaning. I rinse everything except the cool head under very warm water. To get the old juice out of the coil, I wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a pill bottle. By the time the tank has air dried and I'm ready to fill, the paper towel has absorbed the majority of the old juice.

I do clean the tank when changing flavors and I'm at the point where I have a different tank/mod for each flavor.

For the glass portion of the tank, I put a drop of dishwashing liquid on my pinky and rub the inside of the glass. This gets any film off the glass and results in nice clarity.

Dom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2015
Linwood, NJ
Ditch the OCC when they burn out. Watch a few videos on rebuilding. Go on ebay. Buy 100 ft of coil for 5 bucks and 140 sheets of organic Japanese cotton for 10. The price of three OCC's and you have enough coils for life and cotton at least a year or two. nice thing is you get to custom build to your liking. I like .4 ohms

strawhatlad

Jun 20, 2015
Best practice would be to refill before it drops below the holes in the coil.

I don't bother with vodka while cleaning. I rinse everything except the cool head under very warm water. To get the old juice out of the coil, I wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a pill bottle. By the time the tank has air dried and I'm ready to fill, the paper towel has absorbed the majority of the old juice.

I do clean the tank when changing flavors and I'm at the point where I have a different tank/mod for each flavor.

For the glass portion of the tank, I put a drop of dishwashing liquid on my pinky and rub the inside of the glass. This gets any film off the glass and results in nice clarity.

The cool head? That is the piece that contains the cotton right?

My main concern is if its okay to soak the whole occ coil piece atomizer while the cotton is inside or are you suppose to remove the cotton?

I know buying your own coils and cotton will save money, but for now I wanna take the lazy approach :p since I just started.

Thanks for the quick replies btw

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
The cool head? That is the piece that contains the cotton right?

My main concern is if its okay to soak the whole occ coil piece atomizer while the cotton is inside or are you suppose to remove the cotton?

I know buying your own coils and cotton will save money, but for now I wanna take the lazy approach :p since I just started.

Thanks for the quick replies btw
No cleaning for coils with cotton. You may make things worse. If you know how to put a new wick, you can dry burn coil after you remove old wick. Otherwise just use a new coil.

strawhatlad

Jun 20, 2015
No cleaning for coils with cotton. You may make things worse. If you know how to put a new wick, you can dry burn coil after you remove old wick. Otherwise just use a new coil.

I have watched videos on how to do so, but for now I would like to just do the soaking method as I am a bit clumsy with DIY type of assemblies like this.

Sir2fyablyNutz says it is fine to soak the OCC coil head while the cotton is inside.

Is this really not advised?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I have watched videos on how to do so, but for now I would like to just do the soaking method as I am a bit clumsy with DIY type of assemblies like this.

Sir2fyablyNutz says it is fine to soak the OCC coil head while the cotton is inside.

You can try, nothing dangerous (if you dry out it completely). I do not believe you'll get good results.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA

I said "Let it dry completely" The alcohol will evaporate. The best advice is to rebuild the coil. I have 15 coil heads and when I use one lightly I will do the soak method. It's probably 2 to 3 weeks before it's used because I have so many spares that I do recoil. Blow it out, leave it on a paper towel on a counter for a day or more to air dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread