Status
Not open for further replies.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I'm with y'all on the vodka, the though of a mishap with isopropyl alcohol gave me the "Howard Hughes'" as my kiddos tease me ...what's the old saying "you can date Ethyl but best stay away from her sister Methyl, she'll kill yah" so when presented with my first cleaning, I took a look to the liquor cabinet, Absolut and then you can drink it when you're done!!vaping and a cocktail...ahhhhh *kidding* just a lil bit in the bottom of a glass and a swirl did the trick.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Before I started using only RDA's I would soak my coils in vodka for 10-15 minutes, then dry burn. Depending on the water your home is supplied with, hot water can leave a film or residue on the metals. Another trick is to keep some distilled water on hand, and when you need to clean a few coils, place them where the filter goes in a coffee pot, fill it with distilled water, and run a few cycles. Works like a charm!

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Why would anyone want the taste of rubbing alcohol??

The suggestions of Everclear or vodka makes much more sense over rubbing alcohol or water.

I concur on the rubbing alcohol...

What exactly do you folks figure the alcohol in liquor is doing for you? A solvent to remove juice residue?

What's the issue with water?

Assuming most of you are referring to various BCC coils for Kanger or similar type tanks. With the exception of the coil, wick and gaskets the rest is all stainless steel. Hot water should remove any residue from the body and gaskets.

Dry burning should remove any residue from the coil. What's left is the wick... silica wick is cheap. Cotton cheaper. Based on my estimates replacing the wick is more cost effective than soaking in alcohol.

To each his/her own... these coils were designed to be disposable so any reuse, rebuilding or cleaning extends their usefulness and off-sets cost. But remember a full replacement if shop wisely is about $1.00 per. Full rebuild is a few cents...

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Isopropyl alcohol is an excellent solvent which leaves practically no traces (in comparison to ethanol), and the primary reason it would be selected over vodka would simply be a question of concentration (isopropyl often sold at 70% and sometimes higher, versus 40% for vodka). For anyone concerned, a quick rinse in water after would remove all traces of that alcohol. As for the taste of isopropyl, well that's actually funny, as it is denatured (made to taste terrible) specifically to prevent abuse (it's dangerous, but some people would still drink it!)

For me, cleaning coils is a waste of time. It's worth the effort to learn how to rebuild them instead.

I don't find it to be a waste of time, however I just dry burn my coils and throw on a new wick. I'll change my coils once I decide fresh ones are due, usually after rewicking about 3 to 5 times.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Isopropyl alcohol is an excellent solvent which leaves practically no traces (in comparison to ethanol), and the primary reason it would be selected over vodka would simply be a question of concentration (isopropyl often sold at 70% and sometimes higher, versus 40% for vodka). For anyone concerned, a quick rinse in water after would remove all traces of that alcohol. As for the taste of isopropyl, well that's actually funny, as it is denatured (made to taste terrible) specifically to prevent abuse (it's dangerous, but some people would still drink it!)

Everclear is 190 proof, much better than rubbing alcohol. And there is NO after taste. And unlike water, it evaporates much more quickly. There is no good reason to use rubbing alcohol when there are much better options.

Last edited:

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
I use mostly RBA's & RDA's but I have been getting a lot of use from the Mega Aero Tank lately. All I do is basically rise in hot water and dry burn. If that doesn't do the job I will either boil them in water for about 10-15 minutes or just rebuild them. The only thing I use rubbing alcohol for is to wipe clean my 510 connector and battery contacts. I really don't think there's a wrong way as long as you are getting the vape you want.

Tunka

May 31, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Before I started using only RDA's I would soak my coils in vodka for 10-15 minutes, then dry burn. Depending on the water your home is supplied with, hot water can leave a film or residue on the metals. Another trick is to keep some distilled water on hand, and when you need to clean a few coils, place them where the filter goes in a coffee pot, fill it with distilled water, and run a few cycles. Works like a charm!

What a novel idea! I LIKE IT!

Keep on Chuffin' :vapor:

Tunka

May 31, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I am a CHEAP bastid. I have cleaned disposable tanks! That's right, folks, CE4s (with wicks) CAN be cleaned if you use them sparingly, as I do. A long, hot water rinse works fine. Leave them un-tipped to dry, tip side up. Usually a day or two for complete drying. Dry burn a few times and reload. Sometimes it takes a few hits to get a normal vape output but, it DOES work.

I do not have a clue if this works on the wickless type CE tanks (Aspire, Vision, etc.) as none of mine have gotten crappy yet.

Keep on Chuffin' :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread