hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome to today’s review. This time I am pleased to present the new Hellvape Fat Rabbit 2 rta that was sent to me by Hellvape in order to provide you with a fair and honest review. The FR2 comes with a 4ml liquid capacity with the pre-installed straight glass but there is a bubble glass included that increases the capacity to 6.5ml. The FR2 has both top and bottom airflow which can be used independently or in unison to provide the best possible airflow and flavor production. It is a dual coil rta that is has a diameter of 28mm. Thus the “Fat Rabbit” name. It makes use of honeycomb airflow to provide very good airflow.

ZJlSB8Q.jpg

IJN2pyD.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1 * Hellvape Fat Rabbit 2 rta

1 * 6.5ml Bubble Glass Tube

2 * 0.37ohm Ni80 Clapton Coil

1 * Coil Cutting Tool

2 * Shoelace Cotton

1 * Accessory Bag

1 * User Manual

tnTDgHg.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:
    6xTw4Lg.jpg

FEATURES:

• Dual Coil

• 4ml E-liquid

• Top-filling

• More Honeycomb Airflow Holes

• 28mm Diameter

• 810 Drip Tip

• 510 Thread Connection

bQnXD0I.jpg

0YODr4O.jpg

hM1fSwl.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Fat Rabbit 2 RTA is the usual orange and black outer sleeve with the orange two part box underneath. The front of the sleeve has the Hellvape name in the upper corner and the Fat Rabbit name along the side in a really fun font that I happen to like. The picture on the front is not the color of the tank contained inside as there is a sticker with SS on the front. I for some reason received two samples that are the same color but I’m ok with that.

The back side of the sleeve has a list of features, contents list, and Hellvape company information.

1699922602302.png

Once the outer sleeve and box top are removed, you are greeted by the Fat Rabbit 2 RTA and a spare bubble glass inside an orange foam insert. Underneath that insert is where all of the accessories are located as well as the user manual. This one includes quite a few accessories which include a coil cutting guide, two cotton threads, spare o rings, a screwdriver, spare grub screws, and two .37 ohm Ni80 Clapton coils.

1699922659580.png

I always recommend cleaning any new tank in case there is any residual machining oil or residue from manufacturing. The FR2 can be fully disassembled for cleaning as you can see below. The tank comes with a straight glass installed but there is a bubble glass included which boosts the liquid capacity from 4ml to 6.5ml. With a dual coil rta I tend to go with the bubble glass for the increased capacity but do like how the FR2 looks with the straight glass so I did one of each.

There are grooves cut in the top cap and in the top and bottom airflow control rings to make adjustment easier. The Fat Rabbit character is etched on the chamber of each tank and can be seen even when filled with liquid. The 810 drip tip is replaceable. It doesn’t have an o ring on the tip but there is a tip inside the top cap.

1699922705274.png

1699922722007.png

The build deck for the original Fat Rabbit RTA had twelve honeycomb airflow holes where the new FR2 has 32 honeycomb airflow holes to more evenly distribute the airflow and improve flavor production. The coils are held in place by four slotted head grub screws and there is plenty of room for some bulky coils. The inside of the chamber is reduced and shaped so that the deck fits snugly inside. There are also18 honeycomb airflow holes on each side of the inside of the chamber. The combination of the airflow hitting the coils underneath and from each side provides a 15% flavor production increase.

1699922762517.png

GRCGQKb.jpg

1699922812612.png

dxdFfsd.jpg

INCLUDED COIL BUILD

I did two different builds on the two FR2 samples that I received. For the first one I used the two included coils which are .37 ohm and read .18 ohms with both coils installed. The included coil cutting guide had an arrow pointing at the 5mm slot so I cut the coils at 5mm and installed them. I did a dry burn on them and was able to use just one of the two included cotton threads to wick both coils. I felt like the cotton was a little loose compared to what I would normally look for but stuck with it since it is what is included. Once the wicks were saturated I filled the tank which I chose to use the bubble glass on. These coils required quite a bit of wattage to get them heated properly. I started out at 55 watts which barely heated them initially. I ended up working my way up to 65 watts. Even at this setting I felt like I could have used a boost function like you find on a DNA type mod. I needed to go up to 70 watts to get a good initial heating when the coils were completely cold. This is a little out of my comfort zone compared to where I usually vape.

1699922895116.png

1699922939571.png

BUILD USING .4 OHM COILS

I followed the same steps as above for this build on the second tank but instead used the included straight glass and decided to use two fused Clapton coils that read .4 ohms each and read .2 ohms with the two coils installed. This was a much better fit for me. I was able to tighten the airflow some and run the wattage quite a bit lower. I started at 40 watts and worked my way up to 47 watts which is much closer to my normal vaping range on an rta or sub ohm tank.

1699922984256.png

1699923038641.png

FINAL THOUGHTS:

As usual it has been a true pleasure testing yet another tank from Hellvape. The dual airflow control on the Fat Rabbit 2 RTA is really a great system. I could very much tell the difference when using the top or bottom airflow. The best set up for me was to have the top airflow slightly open and the bottom airflow open about 1/3 of the way. The top airflow seemed to make more of an increase in airflow when opened than the bottom airflow did. I could also tell a difference between the two tanks when using the straight and bubble glass. The tank with the straight glass seemed to need the top airflow control less open than on the bubble glass tank.

I remember testing the original Fat Rabbit RTA and the FR2 is more streamlined and I honestly like it much better. I remember getting large amounts of condensation with the original and had zero issues with this while testing the FR2. I think the new version outshines the original in appearance and performance. The FR2 is advertised as a 28mm rta but is actually 26mm at the base then widens out to 28mm. This is good though because it will allow it to fit on more mods without overhang. I used the tank with the bubble glass on the Hell 200 mod for two reasons. First of all it fit nicely with no overhang, Secondly because it uses dual 18650 batteries and felt I might need this extra output capacity for the included coils. The second one with the straight glass I put on my Hyperion DNA100C since I purposely picked different coils that I knew would run at a lower setting than the included coils.

I have always felt like Hellvape makes good quality tanks at a reasonable price. The FR2 is made of good quality stainless steel and the threads and ¼ turn top cap are machined well and the threading is very smooth.

I’d like to thank Hellvape and Lisha for sending the Hellvape Fat Rabbit 2 RTA for this review. Also a big thank you to the readers for tuning in to another one of my reviews. Below is a link to the website for your viewing pleasure.

Fat Rabbit 2 RTA-Hellvape - The DIY atomizer leading brand
    1oJXxGi.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    That thing reminds me a bit of the aromamizer plus. One of the cool things about that was while you COULD put exotic coils in it like those fused claptons you didn’t HAVE to. It vaped quite well with just big DIY single wires. Is this true for that as well? (Advantages of dual coil large chamber)

I haven’t tried them with single wire coils. I might do that in the future though.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I am curious. I also noticed 2 large holes in the deck base which are not dissimilar to the wicking holes in the aromamizer plus. The way I wick the aromamizer plus so it doesn’t leak is to twist BOTH ends of the wick, feed them through the holes, and cut them as flush as I can on the other side. This ensures that the holes are completely full so there is no vacuum loss which can cause leaking. If this becomes an issue with that tank it may be a method to alleviate the problem.

Reactions: hittman

Users who are viewing this thread