hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m back today with another review for a Hellvape product. Hellvape has come out with one great tank after another since I’ve been writing reviews for them. It has been a real pleasure. This time I was sent the Hellvape Dead Rabbit M tank that was a collaboration between Hellvape and Vapers Brazil. I’m sure you’ve heard of the Dead Rabbit series of tanks by now. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Dead Rabbit tanks that I have had the opportunity to test. I’m sure you’ve probably guessed it already but yes the M stands for mesh. I personally haven’t been a big fan of mesh tanks and have only tried a couple of them before. The Dead Rabbit M RTA has a 25mm base dimension and will hold 3ml of liquid with the straight glass and 4.5ml with the bubble tank section installed. As I’ve seen in the past from Hellvape, the M RTA comes with a lot of extras that can keep you vaping for a long time without having to buy any additional supplies. Let’s go ahead and take a look at it.

AnmOL4K.png

wI7pCOm.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1 Dead Rabbit M RTA
    2 0.15ohm SS316L Meshed Wire
    2 0.25ohm KA1 Meshed Wire
    1 Multi-Function Coiling Rod
    4 Max Shoelace Cotton
    1 Bubble Glass
    1 User Manual
    1 Accessory Bag

Ur0mIER.png

FEATURES:

25mm Diameter
    26.5mm Widest Point (Base)

Quarter Turn Top Fill System - Dual Fill Ports
    Postless Clamp-Style Build Deck
    Single Mesh Coil Sheet
    Side Secured via Phillips Screws
    Central Ceramic Cotton Support - Spring Loaded
    Positive PEEK Insulation
    Dual Slotted Top Airflow Control Ring
    Wide bore 810 Drip Tip
    Threaded 510 Connection
    Available in SS, Blue, Gunmetal, Matte Black, Matte SS, Gold

YcqE6sh.png

0VJvAfe.png

8gxXozU.png

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Hellvape Dead Rabbit M Tank comes in the usual red box with black writing that I’ve become accustomed to seeing from them. I like it. It really catches your attention. I also like that the front has the clear viewing window so you can see the device inside. On the front is the Dead Rabbit name and emblem with a large M in the upper right and M RTA under the name. The back of the box lists features, package contents, and company information. I don’t feel it’s necessary to show it but on the end of the box is a bar code and authenticity code. The sides of the box show a nice sketch of the tank and on the other side simply has the Dead Rabbit M RTA name on it.

upload_2022-8-17_14-57-2.png

upload_2022-8-17_14-57-17.png

Once the box top is removed then the tank is fully visible with the spare glass tank section both in a foam insert. All of the instructions and accessories are underneath the foam insert. As usual with Hellvape tanks, there are a lot of accessories. They include four mesh strips and cotton threads, o rings, combination screwdriver and coil shaping tool, user manual, and bubble glass.

upload_2022-8-17_14-57-49.png

upload_2022-8-17_14-58-4.png

It was nice of Hellvape to send two samples for the review. This allowed me to test one tank with straight glass and one type of coil while testing a second tank with bubble glass and a different coil at the same time. There were two each of the KA1 and 316SS coils included.

upload_2022-8-17_14-59-2.png

As always, clean your tank before using it. As you can see below, the M Tank can be fully disassembled for cleaning. The drip tip is a standard short 810 drip tip that can be replaced by your favorite if you like. This tank is a top airflow tank and as you can see the airflow control ring can be removed but also has notches that make it have a positive stop when adjusting it. This tank offers a lot of airflow and found myself running it with the airflow about ¼ open at 45 watts.

The top cap has an internal o ring to hold the drip tip in place and is a bayonet style so only requires a ¼ turn to install or remove it. The tank comes with the straight glass pre-installed which allows 3ml liquid capacity but there is a bubble glass included that will allow 4.5ml of liquid. I really like the looks of the tank with the straight glass but this tank guzzles liquid so quickly changed to the bubble glass.

The M Tank was a collaboration between Hellvape and Vapers Brazil. There is the Vapers Brazil name and logo on one side of the chamber while the Dead Rabbit is on the other side. The M Tank has two fairly large fill ports and thankfully it doesn’t have a gasket over the fill ports. There is an o ring on the bottom of the top cap that helps to seal the tank. I noticed on my blue one that the top cap is very tight and a little hard to turn. I’m sure a little VG on that o ring would help.

upload_2022-8-17_14-59-32.png

upload_2022-8-17_14-59-49.png

If you’ve used a mesh tank before then the deck on the M Tank should look a little familiar. I myself have only ever used two other mesh tanks before. I just didn’t stick with them long term. There is a phillips head screw on each side that loosens the spring loaded clamps so you can insert your mesh coil once you shape it using the combination coil tool/screwdriver. It’s actually a nice little tool that you may want to use on other tanks also. In the center between the two clamps is a spring loaded ceramic piece that holds the cotton tight against the mesh coil. If it doesn’t then you will get dry burnt hits. On the blue one I received, I had some trouble with wicking. My first attempt was my own fault for thinning the tails too much and the deck was flooding, On my second try I was getting dry hits with little flavor. When I removed the wick, I saw that the ceramic center piece was stuck tilted down on one side so believe it wasn’t holding the cotton against the coil tight enough. On my third attempt, I used a cotton thread that I had from another mesh tank that was fatter than the included ones and it worked very well. After that the flavor and vapor production was fantastic. Although there is a little variation on the wattage ranges of the coils, I was able to run both coils in the 45-48 watt range comfortably.

ziaNCob.png

0jkR13z.png

upload_2022-8-17_15-2-51.png

upload_2022-8-17_15-3-5.png

upload_2022-8-17_15-3-18.png

k7JkxA0.jpg

The inside of the chamber has honeycomb airflow holes which I am a fan of. Normally I would expect the honeycomb on the outside of an rda so was surprised to see it inside this tank.
    6IGTZpW.png

BLDK7Mm.jpg

I almost forgot to mention that if you decide to try the Dead Rabbit M RTA and need more building supplies then they are available from Hellvape. They were nice enough to send me some with my review samples.
    nyJzmpv.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Although I struggled a little in the beginning with the blue (my favorite color) M tank, once I got the wicking right then it performed very well. I didn’t have the same issue with the second tank that I received for the review.

I like that the airflow control is knurled to make it easier to grip. I also like that the M tank is top airflow. That way you don’t have to worry about leaking. However, if you thin the tails too much like I did on my first attempt then the deck will flood. This holds true with just about any tank. The wicking has to be right. To me, mesh tanks are a little pickier but once you get it right then you are rewarded with very good flavor production.

I really don’t care much for the short wide bore drip tips that come with a lot of tanks and rdas these days. I always try tanks with the included tip but most times go ahead and switch them out with a tip that is a little taller. One problem with those tips is if you have the wattage turned up then you can feel the heat from the top of the tank if you chain vape much. I didn’t really notice a heat buildup on this tank so the stock tip should be fine if you like this style. In general, I think that mesh tanks tend to run a little cooler simply because of the wattage range of the mesh coil strips.

A word of warning, don’t unscrew the phillips head screws all the way. There is a spring over the screw which holds the post plate. I made that mistake and struggled a little to get the screw and plate back into the correct position. When inserting the mesh coil, you don’t need a large opening since the mesh is pretty thin. Supposedly you can also use a regular round wire coil instead of the included mesh strips. I didn’t try a standard coil since I felt it is promoted as a mesh tank and should be tested that way for the review.

So, would I recommend the Hellvape Dead Rabbit M RTA? If you like a little bit cooler vape and are a fan of the crisp flavor that mesh tanks give then yes I definitely would. Out of the few I have tried, this one I think performed the best and with it being top airflow that is a definite plus in my book.

I’d like the thank Hellvape and Jessica for sending the review samples of the Hellvape Dead Rabbit M RTA for this review. Also thanks goes out to the readers. This review was mostly written prior to the release date so I hope I have covered it well enough that you can make an educated decision on whether this tank might be a good fit for you. Below is a link to the website so you can take a closer look at this tank and feel free to browse the website to see some of the other fantastic devices that Hellvape has to offer.

Dead Rabbit M RTA-Hellvape - The DIY atomizer leading brand
    ZkGYXqq.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Congratulations Hitt for this review! I will read it very carefully because I have to finish my Dead Rabbit M review and now I am testing the wire coil.

I didn't try a wire coil. They included four mesh strips so I focused on those.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread