Heart and nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been vaping for 76 days. My mother had a heart attack at 45.. I just turned 40, I know a lot of you have done way more research that I could ever do so what I am asking is Does the nicotine I vape damage my heart? I know some say it raises BP and heart rate but my BP has always been 100/60 or lower.... My resting HR is around 66 bmp. I know your not doctors but would like to know what your thoughts are.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I initially asked my doctor when I had an initial set of tests done. He said it is similar to caffeine. Caffeine or nicotine, well, to much of anything is not good. I have to say, in reading about it, nicotine is not bad, other than the addiction part of it. But, if we think about it, caffeine can give a psychological addiction.

To much of anything is not good. Yes, put those M&Ms away.

Kellin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Charlotte, NC, USA
I initially asked my doctor when I had an initial set of tests done. He said it is similar to caffeine. Caffeine or nicotine, well, to much of anything is not good. I have to say, in reading about it, nicotine is not bad, other than the addiction part of it. But, if we think about it, caffeine can give a psychological addiction.

To much of anything is not good. Yes, put those M&Ms away.

Caffeine is way more than a psychological addiction - there are substantive withdrawal symptoms. Conveniently, it has positive benefits so I don't have to give it up either. ;)

Yes I have read that it helps with Alzheimer and Parkinson's.. I think there really maybe some good benefits from nicotine once people stop associating it with "Tobacco" Of course its just my opinion. I suffer OCD/anxiety disorder for 14 years. I take meds and they help a lot but take me off nicotine and I am 1000 times worse.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
I have been vaping for 76 days. My mother had a heart attack at 45.. I just turned 40, I know a lot of you have done way more research that I could ever do so what I am asking is Does the nicotine I vape damage my heart? I know some say it raises BP and heart rate but my BP has always been 100/60 or lower.... My resting HR is around 66 bmp. I know your not doctors but would like to know what your thoughts are.
Here are some articles and studies about nicotine you might like to read.
14 Electronic Cigarette Studies That Shame the Critics - ChurnMag
Nicotine, the Wonder Drug? | DiscoverMagazine.com
The Great Nicotine Myth
"Nicotine absorption from electronic cigarettes": Smoking Cessation Community - Support Group
Nicotine High-Toxicity Myth Destroyed

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nicotine is a stimulent and vasoconstrictor similar to caffeine.

If you have coronary heart disease (angina) or hypertension, nicotine or caffeine are not wise things to use. However, e-cig use is the lesser evil between cigarette use vs e-cigarette use. No combustion, no burning, no smoke = no tar or toxic chemicals known to cause cancer or other pulmonary diseases.

Nicotine is also known to stop bone growth. Therefore if undergoing bone or spinal surgery, abstain from all nicotine use. The same goes for plastic or cosmetic surgery. I say this having worked in the operating room for over 35 years.

Last edited:

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
I know I quit smoking for health reasons, and I assume most other people here did too.

Speaking for myself I can say I feel far better off now than when I smoked.

I don't have medical evidence to present but in layman's terms I feel great heart health wise as well. No funny heart issues that have plagued me since I started in my teens either.

See your doctor, set up regular checkups, and if a problem develops with your heart that can be corrected with eliminating nicotine at least you can buy zero nicotine juices, I don't think I ever saw zero nicotine cigarettes.

Congratulations on quitting, we are a growing crowd.

Maurice

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Pharmaceutical NRT is safe for patients with heart disease that need to quit smoking. Having said that, it's more of a "lesser of two evils" situation. The potential tachycardia that nicotine can cause is not good for the heart (having said that, if your resting heart rate is 66 bpm, that is very good).

There are few population studies of people using long-term nicotine use. In Sweden, many people use smokeless tobacco called snus (snuff put in the mouth). The evidence that snus causes heart disease is very weak, some scientists do not think it has significant cardiovascular risks, but other studies show a small risk of heart disease for snus users. Either way, it is far lower than smoking.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ummm nicotine in it of itself can cause some issues.... Before I go further: I am not a doctor; however, I have had a decent education I'm regards to anatomy and physiology.
As baditude said- nicotine is both a stimulant and a vasoconstrictor meaning while it can increase your heart rate it will also constrict your blood vessels; hence, the increase in BP( faster blood flow through a tighter pathway) picture tightening up a hose and turning the faucet up.
It can also cause an increase in epinephrine production.
That said it is still much much safer than analogs. No nasty chemicals, no tar clogging your lungs, and decrease chance of cancer and respitory and cardiac disease.
There is Also supporting evidence to show that nicotine increases neuronal activity in the hippocampus as well as frontal lobe regions of the brain; meaning, an increase in both long term memory, complex problem solving as well as control over emotion. (No I don't have the studies readily available to cite to you but I did have a gross neurology professor who supplied those to us; as well as, talk at length on the topic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014

ColJD

Nov 7, 2013
New Zeaalns
In the past I did a little research online.
From what I could gather the "The jury is still out"
A lot of research gets blurred with politics and confused tobacco with processed tobacco and nicotine.
Some research has hinted towards nicotine being beneficial in preventing some forms of dementia and Parkinsons disease.
At a guess though it would appear nicotine caffeine and chocolate addictions have similarities.
Probably the worst thing in chocolate is the high amounts of sugar, eg sucrose and fructose.
Similar with tobacco, what we commonly call tar is the worst part of tobacco.
-
Having said all that, if you are concerned about heart disease, you can probably find easier ways than halting vaping for prevention.
eg Improved diet, exercise, some form of meditation for stress relief.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas

Ever since I switched I've noticed a considerable drop in my day to day blood pressure as well as heartrate. What you need to remember is that vaping isn't healthy it's just a healthy alternative to stinkies.

I would definitely consult your Dr if you are seriously worried about your health as far as your heart goes, but hopefully it's just a little paranoia! Sorry to hear about that happening to your mother at such a young age, and hopefully it doesn't happen to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread