Great source for anyone still wanting to use springs for anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
1) Go to Smallparts.com
2) Click on springs in the Power Transmission category
3) Select "compression springs" from the Suggested Categories
4) Choose Stainless Steel for the material

They are going to cost a bit more than rigging something up from things around the house.
But if you want the perfect springs for your needs and don't mind paying to get them, there you go.

And for the perfect spring to use for the ADP mod in a 510 cartridge...
5) Choose 0.088 inches for the item diameter
6) Choose .125 inches for the item length

The .125 inches is a perfect length to put these springs in a 510 cartridge so that they fit tightly enough to stay where you put them. The .088 outside diameter is much smaller than the pen springs, and I can set them right on the ledges of the 510 cartridge with just the right amount of room for a plug on top of them. Plus these springs don't have to be cut either, so they don't have any loose edges to worry about or deal with.

These are perfect for me, since the pen springs were too big and didn't leave enough room for any significant amount of filler material to use as a plug. I was always having to push and prod them in past the ledges just a little bit, and that wasn't cutting it for me, especially with the loose cut edge.

If you use the blue foam, or some other type of filler for the plug, you're probably okay using a straw.
But since I am using the polyfill for my plug, the straw just wasn't working out for me.

Don't know if this will help anyone but me, but at least I'm happy!
:)

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I was so excited when the ADM was released that I ordered 50 springs of Ebay--pretty cheap from China!--to keep from scrounging around the house. I wanted to use a bigger filler, too, because I wanted a better seal and the ability to top off the cart on the go. The only problem I had was a metalic taste from the spring. And I'm all about the flavor so eventully went to using a plastic strip to simulate the same effects of the spring but without the metalic taste. It's all about performance.

If you're tired of dripping and dealing with bad cart flow you have to try the ADM mod. And try hitting e-bay for springs, too. 50 Pen Springs.

The juice must flow!
--Prof Daffy

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The only problem I had was a metalic taste from the spring.
Have you tried stainless steel?
I get absolutely no metal taste at all from the stainless steel springs.

And I'm all about the flavor so eventully went to using a plastic strip to simulate the same effects of the spring but without the metalic taste. It's all about performance.
I tried that, but it didn't work out for me for various reasons.
Too bad, too, because the perfect springs don't come cheap!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Nice find DC2. I've been getting springs from Lee Spring and W.M. Berg for many, many years.. but they're probably a bit hard to deal with as just a general consumer. I just hide the stuff in my business orders... ( ;-) )
Not sure if you checked it out or not, but these are indeed Lee Spring springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread