Got my Reo today...need some wick help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Denver, CO
Thanks for the replies and help everyone, this community is top notch!

I went to CVS today and got some sterile rolled cotton, my coil came out to 0.8 ohms this time and the flavor still seems a bit off. It's either very muted and almost flavorless, or its got an OK amount of flavor, but the wet sock after taste...what am I doing wrong? :(

The flavor of the silica wasn't very clean either, tasted muted as well.

Pics as promised! Hows my coil and wick looking?

Reo Pics

tmel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Denver, CO
I can't really describe the flavor I am getting, it just doesn't taste right. It tastes almost burnt, but its not dry at all. The best way to describe it would be musty I guess.

I just setup a new wick, much smaller to see if I was using too much cotton. My HH 357 is 2.5 ohms and I vape it on a Vamo at 4.5v.

Flavor is still better on the HH 357 when I compare the two.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I can't really describe the flavor I am getting, it just doesn't taste right. It tastes almost burnt, but its not dry at all. The best way to describe it would be musty I guess.

I just setup a new wick, much smaller to see if I was using too much cotton. My HH 357 is 2.5 ohms and I vape it on a Vamo at 4.5v.

Ok using Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Your 357 is producing 8 watts of heat, the .8 ohm coil on fresh battery in the Reo is producing 22 watts of heat. The increased heat can be changing the flavor of your vap.

Edit: You might want to try a 1.5 ohm coil or about 11.7 watts

Last edited:

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA

bunker0617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2013
AZ
Could be "store funk" on your cotton. I buy the sealed bags from cvs no holes in the bag... Yeah the sock flavor only last about 10 puffs for me. I like silica too but always worry I'm inhaling those tiny shards... I know it's said they don't asperate but those microscope photos are scary....

Is it just me or do all cvs stores smell horrible??? Maybe just as Arizona thing

Miarose

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
West Chester, PA
Just got my reo today and made a .8 ohm micro coil. I tried the boiled yarn and had the same after taste. I ran to cvs and got the sterile rolled cotton and now all I taste is the vape. It's definitely a good solution.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

i had extremely bad luck when first starting with my reo. All i could taste unless the juice was SUPER strong was a very sweet cotton taste, even with boiled cotton. A very sweet reonaut sent me some cvs sterile cotton, not boiled. Between that and I think just getting better at making my coils and making sure air hole is aligned with my coil have produced wonderful results. My coils come in at around 1.4 ohms every time, and i use a VERY little amount of cotton, probably less than i should use, but hey its working great for me. I don't keep my coil high at all though, like as low to the base of the rm2 as possible, and as close to the edge as possible. I'm super sensitive to taste i think, and i don't even get a funky taste for the first few vapes. :) My slogan is if I can do it, anyone can! Seriously.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville

IMO, the sterile cotton tastes like band-aids smell and I'd get a little scratchy throat from it. Sterile means germ free but not chemical free.

I use this Pure Cotton - Koh Gen Do | Sephora

For me, it has no taste of it's own (before or after). It's a little more robust than clinical cotton and lasts a little longer. I don't boil it. Been very pleased with it. YMMV.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
IMO, the sterile cotton tastes like band-aids smell and I'd get a little scratchy throat from it. Sterile means germ free but not chemical free.

I use this Pure Cotton - Koh Gen Do | Sephora

For me, it has no taste of it's own (before or after). It's a little more robust than clinical cotton and lasts a little longer. I don't boil it. Been very pleased with it. YMMV.

Just hit that link and I like what they have to say about it.
Is that in a matte form like mesh?

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Could be "store funk" on your cotton. I buy the sealed bags from cvs no holes in the bag... Yeah the sock flavor only last about 10 puffs for me. I like silica too but always worry I'm inhaling those tiny shards... I know it's said they don't asperate but those microscope photos are scary....

Is it just me or do all cvs stores smell horrible??? Maybe just as Arizona thing

I'm with you bunker. Silicaphobe here. I always had scratchy throat when I used silica.

Put some silica under lighted magnification and snip it then watch the tiny shards/dust wisp through the air. You can see what sticks to the snippers but there is that much more floating around in your personal space that you don't notice *shudder*

I suppose this could be minimized if it were wet before cutting it but then threading it through a coil would be like putting toothpaste back into the tube.

All things considered, I can think of worse things than using silica....like smoking cigabutts.

Not bashing silica users....just my 2 pence (or more likely akin to deep thoughts by Jack Handy) :)

Ramble over. Ignore me....please.:rolleyes:

P9171904.jpg

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I've been making my coil about the same height as the air hole and I make sure that they are both lined up when I screw the top cap on. Is that how we want it?
It's a good starting point, move down a little to reduce throat hit.

I've read that depending on your juice position up or down can change flavor, highlight bass notes or sweetness. I cannot really tell but with wine I can't taste the chocolate notes either :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread