General wicking rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I know every set-up is different, and there is no one correct way to wick an atty.

My question is...are there some general rules that can be followed based on the build?

So basically I've been vaping on a Kanger Subtank Mini that I have wicked perfectly and it's working with 80VG/20PG juice...I have owned this tank since the day I quit smoking and have yet to get the wicking as good as it is now. Let's say I want to switch to a 50/50 juice, or even the complete opposite of what I have now and go with 80PG/20VG...would I need more or less wicking than I have now?

The wicking is currently very light and airy and seems to be working well with 80VG juice. In general does higher PG juice need more wicking since it is less viscous?

Again, I know this isn't a simple yes/no sort of answer. I'm just looking for some general tips I can follow when I do future builds.

Resurrectionist

Apr 28, 2015
Okay, so I know every set-up is different, and there is no one correct way to wick an atty.

My question is...are there some general rules that can be followed based on the build?

So basically I've been vaping on a Kanger Subtank Mini that I have wicked perfectly and it's working with 80VG/20PG juice...I have owned this tank since the day I quit smoking and have yet to get the wicking as good as it is now. Let's say I want to switch to a 50/50 juice, or even the complete opposite of what I have now and go with 80PG/20VG...would I need more or less wicking than I have now?

The wicking is currently very light and airy and seems to be working well with 80VG juice. In general does higher PG juice need more wicking since it is less viscous?

Again, I know this isn't a simple yes/no sort of answer. I'm just looking for some general tips I can follow when I do future builds.

The subtank rbta can be a little picky- there is a good rip trippers video on pancake wicking

I have heard that 50/50 will completely flood the rbta coil and gurgle, but there are many different wick options.

I would try a long lasting slow wicking cotton, like dragon cotton or something similar - it's the only cotton I have found that will take a 50/50 viscosity. Great flavor, baby clouds.

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to run a 20/80? If you're looking for a stealth vape the occ 1.2 coil will take nearly anything at 16-18w-

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
The only difference when using cotton wick between different juice ratios that I have noticed is the following:

More wick the is through the coil aka thicker denser wick, allows for longer draws of plumey thicker tasting vape. The only downside is it take longer for the juice to resaturate at that coil location if you take long slow hits.

Less wick produces more splurts of concentrated juicey watery flavor hits that last shorter. The reason for that is while there is less wick there is more room for liquid to be around the coil that isn't being squeezed away by the tight was of the coil. Thus leading to gobs of little liquid being shot up through the boiling or vaporization of the liquid. The benefit you have with this setup is that based on your wattage or volts, the wick can either have the freedom to saturate much faster because there isn't so much of it the liquid has to travel through. So there is very little wait time between hits, but the downside is that if you run very high power output, it can lead to the dry burning hit if the hit is a long one, because lots of liquid isn't in the wick because you use less of it. But either way it will send juice through the wick faster than a recently hit thick wick.

Also the way the mini is setup from my experience, you don't have to use too much wick (bad wording because you can run a thick wick that is short and barely touches the bottom of the feeder channels). You can basically build a wick like I do that is very tight through the coil, but is short and barely touches the bottom of the juice channel, allowing a good mix of a wick that can absorb the juice that flows more freely to the shorter wick since it's not blocking the juice channel, but is still thick and holds a lot of juice that allows for fun long drag hits before the wick empties.

I hope that makes some sense.

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
This is the pancake wicking method as referred to above.

The trick is in the fluffing, you don't want to compress it or it actually makes it harder for the juice to get in. You want it nice and softly packed but spread out over a good area to pull the juice as quick as possible.

Until you get the hang of it leave it a bit longer and then trim as needed. Eventually you will be able to eyeball it.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand

I don't have a sub-tank, so take this advice for what you paid for it - I would say, first off try it with exactly the same amount you have now, if not just a tiny bit more wick for higher PG.

I vape 60/40 in a KayFun most of the time and don't really think about how much wick to put in as long as I can get it through the coil, I'm good to go. (I use 100% Rayon, btw) The only thing you don't want is wick that's so loose there's space between the coil and wick. You want it fairly snug, but not so snug it strangles the wick and cuts off juice flow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread