5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Everything2liquid nicotine

(thing) by WickerNipple Thu Jul 26 2001 at 16:23:23
A very toxic poison that is virtually tasteless and without color.
Prior to the last ten years, liquid nicotine has seen very little use outside of the lab and the occasional pesticide. More recently, with anti-smoking products that use liquid nicotine to replace the inhaled variety, acute cases of nicotine poisoning both intentional and unintentional have arrisen.
Those who know their Truman Capote will remember that liquid nicotine plays the role of murder weapon in his nonfiction novella Handcarved Coffins. But that was an exceptional rarity then, since it has become a common household product these days numerous instances of the substance being utilized to that end have cropped up - including the suicide of a Phillip Morris researcher on June 6, 2000.
The first decision to use liquid nicotine in a market fashion came from Dr. Frank Etscorn who invented and patented the nicotine patch which hit stores in 1992. Follow-up products that also utilized liquid nicotine include nicotine gum, an inhaler which looks identical to the type seen for asthma sufferers, a nasal spray, and most recently a simple vial of a solution that is approximately one third liquid nicotine. Included with the product is an eye dropper to gage the correct dosage for human consumption.
Now... does this seem like a good idea to anyone?
According to the National Capital Poison Center, the lethal dosage of nicotine in the human body is 40-60mg, although mild signs of poisoning can show up after consuming as little as 5mg. Your average cigarette when smoked introduces approximately 1mg of nicotine into the body - although were you to eat them it would be a greater amount... And since nicotine leaves the body in a relatively rapid fashion, cigarettes themselves are not a real canidate for nicotine poisoning unless you're smoking several at a time or putting them on your pizza.
The nicotine inhalers and nasal sprays each contain 100mg of liquid nicotine. Enough to put two humans and possibly a dog six feet under. However - both dish out the nicotine in a fine mist, 0.5mg at a time... and since the containers are sealed tightly it would require intent to make these two products useful as a weapon. And if a person has intent already - nothing is really going to stop them. And so this also doesn't worry me all that much.
But handing out 100mg vials of 33% pure liquid nicotine straight over the counter with nothing save an eye-dropper in the way someone chugging the whole thing? Or spilling it...? Nicotine is rapidly absorbed through the skin with immediate poisoning effects. Hell - that's how the patch was invented. Further, a large enough dose of liquid nicotine into an open wound can be fatal in seconds.

john doe

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
unlike drano, rat poison, isopropyl alcohol, and probably 100 other common over the counter household items. not to mention products that in an enclosed space will cause illness and or death in very short order if left exposed. so let's get off the oh no nicotine is going to kill us if we buy it kick. as adults we should know what we're buying and what it can do to us.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I agree with John doe on this one. I buy 100mg by the 1/2 gallon and mix for me and my friends, and make some dam good vaping fluid and trust what I put together myself more than anything else out there...!!!! you can get hit by a bus and kick the bucket at anytime for all of us that smoked anologs that have changed to vaping we are all much healthier now than smoking all that crap in anologs..!!!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Anything in excess is bad for the body this post wasn't meant for intelligent adults it was meant for the properties I see some people asking about. It was a study done and for one thing tells how much nicotine is taken in with one cigarette. Also how easily it is to harm yourself if it gets into a cut. If it helps just one person then I'm happy.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
5cardstud, I'm sure you mean well but the truth is that although nicotine is dangerous it does not really pose a threat if handled with a minimum of care.

To begin with the 33% pure nic that you mention is off. 33mg/ml juice is 3.3% nicotine. 33% would be 330mg/ml and not seen in any available e-juice.

It doesn't take much to keep safe. First of all don't drink your e-juice. If you should spill and get some on your skin wash it off as soon as possible be it in a cut or not.

I recall someone on this forum mentioning a story of someone getting nic poisoning from blackleaf 40 which is 40% nic. They became ill after sitting in a puddle of the insecticide for an extended amount of time.

While I can't say if this story is true I can say that I have done nic extractions on tobacco without gloves (not saying you should just sayin I have) and have never felt more than a slight tingle on my skin from squeezing the liquid from the soaked leaves. Of course I rinsed my hands at once.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
5cardstud, I'm sure you mean well but the truth is that although nicotine is dangerous it does not really pose a threat if handled with a minimum of care.

To begin with the 33% pure nic that you mention is off. 33mg/ml juice is 3.3% nicotine. 33% would be 330mg/ml and not seen in any available e-juice.

It doesn't take much to keep safe. First of all don't drink your e-juice. If you should spill and get some on your skin wash it off as soon as possible be it in a cut or not.

Thanks for getting the correct values posted Bagazo.

Agreed, I see where 5cardstud is well intentioned but this aspect has been so thoroughly covered so many times. Really so many times

Oughta be a sticky somewhere that clearly explains relative percentages of nicotine in the liquids we vape and how that relates to the LD-50 so oft cited and misunderstood.

Caution and efforts to understand are good things, don't mean to trivialize those efforts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread