Is liquid nicotine going to have a hard time from regulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I've just come across this page and it made me more aware of the problems we could face trying to keep our nicotine supplies flowing.

liquid nicotine@Everything2.com

"... handing out 100mg vials of 33% pure liquid nicotine straight over the counter with nothing save an eye-dropper in the way someone chugging the whole thing? Or spilling it...? Nicotine is rapidly absorbed through the skin with immediate poisoning effects. Hell - that's how the patch was invented. Further, a large enough dose of liquid nicotine into an open would can be fatal in seconds."

It might be a hard fight to keep nicotine from being controlled if we can't come up with good answers to these sort of concerns.

Hopefully esmoking will be approved as nicotine replacement therapy before authorities get their act together to control it.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
A very damning assessment. The points have been made on this forum, however, and we know we have real reason for concern that while our devices might be legal to import, the nicotine liquid is likely to be severely regulated. Pillbox is doing the most to get things right, but the real question might be whether any government will allow such poisonous levels of nicotine to be sold for essentially recreational use (we're not NRT and we're not food). Get that 36mg while you can, Kit, cause the future might hold a 2mg limit on liquids for e-smoking.

For financial reasons, I do not foresee e-smoking ever being declared a nicotine replacement therapy, Kate. Big Pharma doesn't want it. Big tobacco doesn't want it. Big Government doesn't want it. Anti-smoking forces will never support it. What friends will go to bat for e-smoking when push comes to shove?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Sorry, I should have said that I don't think the liquid nicotine the writer is talking about is our eliquid, rather some other source. I was just using it as an example of the potential hostile attitude that might meet our juice.

I don't think pharma, tobacco or government can stop the progress of esmoking TBob. Whether they approve or not it will become more popular, it's too good a thing to not be attractive to smokers. The smart money is on backing it.

Somoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2008
USA
Bloomberg.com: News

Mainstream media giant Bloomberg posted this article on the 15th.
--SNIP--
Nicotine made breast cancer cells more likely to multiply and migrate in laboratory tests, according to the study published in today's issue of the journal Cancer Research. Such evidence also suggests that nicotine given to help people stop smoking should be used cautiously.

MedScape posted a more thorough Article. Showing mainstream medias bias. They happened to omit that the same test showed Caffeine may also be a concern.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/582208

I think thats the buty of electronic cigarettes, we're not locked into any single brand and nicotine content. We can keep our flavor, and strip noctine from the equation completely if we so chose.

Last edited:

sl9

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
UK
The fatal dose for nicotine is 40-60mg, so if it is not banned, e-liquid has a few options of where it could go in terms of regulation (this is just speculation):

1. Same concentration and quantity as now, but much more secure packaging. Perhaps something like a secure bottle that only allowed the liquid out 1 drop at a time, requiring you to go to a fair bit of effort to open the bottle fully. Many legit NRT products on the market today contain up to 100mg of nicotine according to that article.

2. Reduced concentration, based on the fatal dose value. I think maybe 25% of the fatal dose could be allowed, which is around 12mg. It is certainly the really high strength liquids that will be targeted, if at all. If anyone brings out liquid considerably stronger than 36mg, then I think that could attract unwanted attention as there is a higher potential for nicotine overdose. And the tabloids would REALLY have a field day with this if someone did die of an overdose, which is our worst nightmare :(

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
The FDA said that the way the law works is very unfair to the masses.
The law says it all depends on how the drug is marketed.

The example he gave me was this.
The nicotine water was removed from the shelf in 2002 because of one simple fact. It was marketed and the label read that it was intended as a nicotine replacement.
In 2008 the same water was relabeled as a "dietary supplement." and is now allowed back on the shelves.

It is all in the way the product is marketed. If you make a claim that it is a drug then the FDA can regulate it. If you say it is a cigarette, which the supreme court in 2001 barred the FDA from regulating, then you are safe.

Let me add though. The importation of cigarettes allows customs in the USA to regulate. So the importation of the e-cigs should be labeled as electronic battery operated vaporizer. The e-liquid should be labeled as nicotine dietary supplement and shipped in a different package.

Eventually USA suppliers will not be able to import e-liquid in my opinion. I base this opinion on the coming regulation the Obama administration will impose on imports from countries like China based on the history of lead paint on toys and poison in tooth paste.
So USA suppliers will need to figure out how to make your own liquid.

Last edited:

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
On the other hand, e-liquid is sold with very inadequate warnings in my opinion. Even among seasoned smokers in this forum you can find people who got sick by spilling the stuff, swallowing high-nic juice from the cig to see how it tastes, vaping too much after smoking too much or even pressing/cleaning the carts with their bare hands... And I do not think they are stupid. Just the information they had at the moment was not sufficient.

sl9: That is a road to nowhere. Fatal dose for children in as low as 10 mg...

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
Agreed. The future of the ecig may in fact be the way the disposable ecigs are, where the liquid is sealed and access to the liquid would require you to destroy the cart. This is where smoke51 is at right now. I think they had some smart people design the atomizer/cart to be safer to consumers. All be it not what we veterans are used to, it may be the predetermined future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread