eGo,Riva,tornado,Maxx? How did I make my Choice? Ask me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Ok. I've been attempting to get myself a mod since i''m probably the oldest vaper here that has not tried one and its becoming a bit of an embarrassment.

I don't wanna go all crazy with the 5v/6v stuff and just wanna take myself one step higher. There are no commercial mods that i know of that uses the Mseries atties so i knew i would have to settle with 510 atties that i don't really like.

I read with interest when the eGo was introduced and thought this may be right up my alley. Then many similar models appeared and that was when research became more and more interesting.

I ended up with the Maxx from absoutelyecigs.com. Here is how i made my choice:

Vendors:
I chose the 3-4 cheapest suppliers offering this model. For the eGo, it was HG and Health Cabin. For the Riva, it was eastmall and Absolutelyecigs for the Maxx.

Price:
Kit prices were $78 for the ego, $60 for the Riva and $58 for the Maxx.
Battery prices were $20 for the ego, $18 for the Riva and $17.50 for the Maxx
Atty prices were $7 for the ego, $5.90 for the Riva and $5.80 for the Maxx.
Winner for this category: Maxx

Battery mAh:
650mAh for the ego and Maxx. 750mAh for the Riva.
Winner for this category: Riva

Battery Voltage:
3.7V for the ego and Riva. 4.2V for the Maxx.

Battery Switch:
Hard Plastic for the ego, Soft Plastic for the Riva and Stainless Steel for the Maxx.

Color:
At least 6 colors for the ego, 4 colors for the Riva and 2 colors for the Maxx.
Winner for this category: eGo

Minimum order:
None for the ego, $35 for the Riva (for when you buy parts in the future), None for the Maxx.
Winner for this category: eGo and Maxx

Fixed Shipping:
No for ego, Yes for Riva and Maxx.
Winner for this category: Riva and Maxx

Available Stock:
Immediate shipping for ego and Riva but preorder for Maxx.
Winner for this category: ego and Riva

The Maxx scored in all the right departments for me and is also from my fave supplier so no tough choice here. The above may help you guys make your decision. Hope my work will not go to waste. I got a Black one by the way and will do a review once i get it.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks Fedor.

Another good source esp. if you already established a discount and don't mind waiting for airmail - cheap shipping option... Or are making a larger purchase that justifies the ems shipping:

Spare parts - Wholesale & Retail Best E-smoking Supplier=

I counted 8 colors there. I can get one batt, one charger and one cone for $22.40 - shipping airmail is like $4?

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Fedor.

Another good source esp. if you already established a discount and don't mind waiting for airmail - cheap shipping option... Or are making a larger purchase that justifies the ems shipping:

I counted 8 colors there. I can get one batt, one charger and one cone for $22.40 - shipping airmail is like $4?

Besides taking way too long to arrive, I don't use cheap airmail as there is no way to track it to your doorsteps. When the shipment is lost, it is my word against the supplier's. Don;'t like the odds.

Probably ok for small orders but when i order from China, i make the fixed shipping count from my supplier and usually, the $15 i pay becomes very insignificant.

Anyway, i already ordered from Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarettes | E-Cigs from Smoore - and hoping to get them soon to do a review.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Besides taking way too long to arrive, I don't use cheap airmail as there is no way to track it to your doorsteps. When the shipment is lost, it is my word against the supplier's. Don;'t like the odds.

Probably ok for small orders but when i order from China, i make the fixed shipping count from my supplier and usually, the $15 i pay becomes very insignificant.

I have a good working relationship with Wayne so I don't sweat the airmail when it is something I'm not in dire need of - most of my bulk atty purchases are airmail and what I've returned to him went that way as well - good warranty and doesn't cost as much for the return postage :) All have arrived but I understand your concern. With EMS, as long as one isn't around either their holidays or ours, the shipping is sometimes faster than some in the states. No names.... Anyway, thanks for the whole rundown with the links.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
hey fedor...here's an option too...seeing that you prefer the m series...supposedly you can use the Joy 306 atty instead of the 510 as they're threaded the same...and that's an exposed bridge like your m series...
or you can get a 510 battery to 401 adapter (there's one sold here for example: 510 to M401 Adapter ) and then you could use your 401/402 atties on that maxx...and maintain your prefered atty..

jasezero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2010
NJ
Is the Maxx actually 4.2v? Because my 3.7v 18650 batteries read 4.2v approximately when at a full charge.

Did you factor in actual shipping into your pricing? Absolutelyecigs.com charges $15 for shipping, others may charge less and throw off your pricing list.

Shipping time should be factored in as well. I've ordered from absolultelyecigs before, and it takes minimum a week to get anything from them, closer to two weeks.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Do these three products all use standard 510 parts or are they somehow special?

Since I already have a plethora of 510 atomizers and carts, can I just order the batteries, charger and cone to save a few more bucks? Or is the starter kit worth it?

Also, is the MaxX button hard or soft material?

Finally, are they all the same size - 4 3/4"L x 5/8"W fully assembled with cart/atty?

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Since I already have a plethora of 510 atomizers and carts, can I just order the batteries, charger and cone to save a few more bucks? Or is the starter kit worth it?

Finally, are they all the same size - 4 3/4"L x 5/8"W fully assembled with cart/atty?

I have direct knowledge of the eGo and Tornado - they're identical - 650mAh batt and what you're asking is exactly what I did - bought 2 batteries, the quick usb charger and a cone. Kit not really worth it, imo, unless perhaps warranty is a consideration but I haven't had any problems with mine.

Subsequently I've gotten a few more batts (I have black, titanium and stainless with appropriate clones) Saves a bunch when you have the attys and carts. Plus some of the kits don't come with the quick charger so that is extra. Nhaler, Heaven Gifts, Cignot as well as TW and Janty and others have the batts, cones and charger. Only one cone is needed per two batts. And if you just want to 'try' it, get just one batt. They last me 6-6.5 hours and the vapor is better than the regular 510 and even the mega batt.

Fedor will be your best source on the MAXx.

Nice piece for bonnienclyde, btw!

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Is the Maxx actually 4.2v?
Almost certainly not. The distributor is most likely using an old marketing trick to make their product look better than it is. All li-ion cells provide 3.7V, but that's an average. At maximum charge they're at about 4.2V, but that quickly drops down to about 3.8V. They'll then slowly drop down as they're discharged to about 3.5V, at which point they'll start to drop quickly and the protection circuitry will cut them off. Claiming the Maxx is a 4.2V device is like claiming a car that gets an average of 28mpg is actually a 35mpg car, because under ideal conditions, that number is technically possible. It's not exactly a lie, but it's not really accurate either.

mikes

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 23, 2009
NH
www.mikeusa.com
There are four egos presently being sold that I know of. I have tried three and there are some slight differences between the three that you might like to know about. I have been using them for 6-8 weeks now. I have not tried the RIVA ego I think it is called.

The janty ego. two batteries, one atomizer, one cone and the fast charger (1.5-2 hours to charge the battery). Had problems with both atomizers.

The totally wicked tornado. two batteries, two atomizers, one cone and a slow charger (4-5 hours to charge the battery). This ego also requires a adapter that is included and fits between the charger and the battery. No issues to speak of.

The Joye ego. two batteries, two atomizers, two cones (two complete cigarettes), the fast charger (1.5-2 hours to charge the battery) and a 510 to 901 adapter. No issues to speak of.

It appears the Joye ego is the best value for the money.

On a side note, I have been smoking the 510 for 11 months now and it was my favorite cigarette. I now use the ego and have not touched the 510 in over 6 weeks.

This is an amazing e-cigarette regardless of which one you decide to purchase. It uses all my 510 atomizers and cartridges, Increased vapor production and I am getting 8-12 hours out of a battery.

This ego battery has really improved the e-cigarette experience for me now that i no longer have to switch 510 batteries every three hours...Mike :laugh:

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
There are four egos presently being sold that I know of.
The ego (both Joye brand and Janty brand) and the Tornado are the same device. The only difference is the bundled accessories/warranty. The Riva is a similar (but not identical) design, which it is made by Eastmall. The Bauway 016 (aka Hello 016, aka F-16) is similar in shape, but larger in size and has double the battery capacity. The 016 also vapes at 3.7V, as opposed to 3.2V for the ego/riva. The Maxx/t-rex is the same size and battery capacity as the ego, but vapes at 3.7V like the 016. So there are four different devices sold under (at least) 9 different names.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
So is the Maxx just an off-branded eGo? Like the eGo is manufactured by Joye, but the maxx is SLB or something?

I have never heard of it, but I sure like the price!

Most likely a different manufacturer due to the better manual switch, battery voltage and most importantly, Price!

Joye controls the selling price by vendors so this is most likely not a Joye, not that i give a flying *bleep*. :laugh:

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
And are parts interchangable with eGo and Riva?

Emails to the seller tells me that they are.

Did you factor in actual shipping into your pricing? Absolutelyecigs.com charges $15 for shipping, others may charge less and throw off your pricing list.
Shipping time should be factored in as well. I've ordered from absolultelyecigs before, and it takes minimum a week to get anything from them, closer to two weeks.

The shipping actually works in my favor all the time. I make sure i make my order count when i order from China. Fixed is better than variable when you ask me. Heavens Gifts or Health Cabin starts at $16 and then progresses by $5 for each 500grams. My orders are always above 2kgs so it should be above $30 but i pay only $15.

I get all my orders from 5-7 days. Like KentC said, it could take longer during holidays on both sides. Anyway, shipping times from China should be all the same, as they all use EMS.

Should be standard 510 stuff but from different manufacturer.
You can just buy the parts but when i add it up, the kit is more worth it. That is, if you actually need every thing in the kit.

The button is stainless steel, even better than soft/hard plastic. That was one of the main points i was sold on.

mvc

Jan 26, 2010
Canada
Fedor, waiting on the review on the Maxx.
Just saw the model on the website - and this is also my favorite vendor...
Was really considering an ego, since I am also mostly M401 user and wanted to see how the 510 attys feel, but the price was always stopping me. HG is selling the ego at 73 + 28 for shipping... just a bit too much for me, considering that for the same amount I would add 100 ml juice if I get the maxx...
Anyway, need some feedback to decide.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Fedor, waiting on the review on the Maxx.
Just saw the model on the website - and this is also my favorite vendor...
Was really considering an ego, since I am also mostly M401 user and wanted to see how the 510 attys feel, but the price was always stopping me. HG is selling the ego at 73 + 28 for shipping... just a bit too much for me, considering that for the same amount I would add 100 ml juice if I get the maxx...
Anyway, need some feedback to decide.

The review is gonna take some time since my order is still on preorder. It'll probably reach me early June.

I've used the 510 atties before and when they are new, they are very good. My main problem with them is that they deteriorate too soon. Thats why i'm probably not even gonna try the LR ones if the regular ones can satisfy me. I am hoping that the Maxx atomisers are at least slightly improved. However, seeing that they are so cheap, i wouldn't mind stocking up a bit on the atties and treat them as semi disposables.

I did a bit of research before ordering these and while my decision may not be perfect, i welcome you to join the team. Especially since they are your favourite vendor too.

vip0802

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland
just a FYI that there's another new model to add to the pile. no wonder so many people are confused about which model to get! ;) The T-Rex from esmokeronline.

looks like the size and shape is comparable to the eGo, same 650maH batt and compatible with 510s. the only difference is that the button is metal and instead of it lighting up, there's a lighted ring right below the button.

T_Rex_Electronic_4bfd5c1820560.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread