COVID-19 transmission through online/mailorder - How worried are you?

How worried are you about Covid-19 spreading through mail order packages?

• VERY WORRIED - I'm not ordering anything online at this point

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • SOMEWHAT WORRIED - I'm still ordering for now, but I take precautions with my packages

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • NOT WORRIED - I'll keep shopping online & I don't feel the need to take precautions with my packages

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um it IS pretty much up to fate now yes. The nice thing about this virus is that for many of us, it is so mild and puny it is like any other upper respiratory infection. I am pretty sure I had it already, I really am.

Those few "antibody" tests which have been done indicate a fair amount of the populace has no idea.

Also taking precautions NOW when the incubation period is what it is.... Well, if it makes you feel better you should go right ahead. But based on other models (AND the US is ahead a bit, but only time frame wise) most of the populace will get it. The good news is you sort of have to be SUPER frail elderly to DIE from it, although you might have a nastier time.

However, I THINK the CDC's deal or so they say is to LOWER the spread of the virus if possible by isolating everyone so hospitals aren't overwhelmed and more time does mean more treatment protocols tested etc. But there are some with promise.

I do what I'm told at work but I am FAIRLY certain the virus is TEEMING in my building. I do what I am told, but I'm pretty sure I already had it ,but if not, I will. So like, IDK. I mean....

Crud. My boss just told me we are all back up to full time on Monday. Crud. She wants to come and see me Monday "just to check in" and try to change everything probably. But, whatever if she needs to be her stars to be stars, well whatever.

I hate visits from my boss but there is plenty I can do anyway if I so desire, Etc.l
Anna

But yeah, pretty much, the CDC is closing the economy, I mean barn, door long afterward. The spike and spread will be about the same, we are just lagging behind other countries etc.

Just my opinion as always.
Anna

Reactions: Nermal

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
If you are worried don't touch it bare handed for three days, LOL. Com'on end the panic follow simple advise, social distancing, wash your hands often, keep your fingers out of your mouth, don't pick your nose, only put "your" elbow in your ear, don't rub your eyes and stay away from sick people. Follow these rules and your 98% protected.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I really don't think you will be 98% protected and I'm not sure where you got this figure? I'm not trying to be contentious, just generally interested.

Also, I'm not sanitizing my junk mail OR my packages. After opening and tossing what has been opened I would sanitize my hands THEN.

Oh well I guess we all have our ways. I seriously STIL think I got it I've been seeing the under fivers for going on 3 weeks now. Maybe I will come down with it soon.

I do the masky, hand glove wash thing too but I don't think anyone is 100% perfect at it. IDK.

Anna

Reactions: Nermal

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Virus doesn't survive that long on cardboard from what I've read

Not everything is shipped in a cardboard or paper packages. In fact, poly bags and poly bubble mailers are very popular these days. The virus supposedly can live on plastic for 9 days (IIRC).

Last edited:

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    the WHO (i hate referencing them so much during this) have issued statements saying chances of catching covid-19 this way are very low

i imagine that idea is amplified by lack of flights etc leading to parcels often sitting still for a week or so?

(i just happened upon that today, looking for other info)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I err on the side of caution and go by what has been tested on past coronaviruses, like SARS-CoV over what alphabet soups are telling the media to tell us about SARS-Cov-2.

SARS-CoV - 4-9 days on plastic surfaces, depending on strain tested.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Another ridiculous link to some unreliable media source I see mateo_O
    It lasts for up to 3 days, I have a much more reliable source that the silly interweb:D
    You believe what you you would like to if it makes you happy:)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    • Agree
    Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    The data I linked to was taken from the National Institute of Health National Library of Medicine.

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents

Reliable or not, I'll trust that data over some random person who has no credentials claiming they have a "more reliable source".

As if.

:lol:

As I said, just more internet mumbo jumbo!! You may as well read Facebook for your sources:lol::lol:
    Wait you're 9 days if it makes you happy why not make it a month just to be safe:confused:

I know for a fact it's only up to 3 days:lol:
    Chow:pervy:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As I said, just more internet mumbo jumbo!! You may as well read Facebook for your sources:lol::lol:
    Wait you're 9 days if it makes you happy why not make it a month just to be safe:confused:

I know for a fact it's only up to 3 days:lol:

This thread was never meant to be a thread to debate anything, just a poll and an outlet to express how ECFers feel about ordering online during this situation. that's all.

But, I'm still waiting for those factual and "reliable sources" you seem to like to mention yet never divulge.

Oh, wait...

Yup, that's what I figured.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    This thread was never meant to be a thread to debate anything, just a poll and an outlet to express how ECFers feel about ordering online during this situation. that's all.

But, I'm still waiting for those factual and "reliable sources" you seem to like to mention yet never divulge.

Oh, wait...

Yup, that's what I figured.
    Well, that was a scinitllating and enlightening debate on a source's veracity, methodology applied, and conclusions drawn, wasn't it? Sharing of factual info like that helps everyone.

Ciao.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    btw, @UncleJunkle - I appreciate the link. Was looking for info like this the other day, unloading delivered groceries with my wife. Was wondering about effect of cold/heat on the surfaces, etc. I'm gonna look this one over when I get a chance.

And didn't want you to think I was criticizing that portion of the "debate!" ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread