Connecticut: Attempt to Add E-Cigarettes to "Smoking" Ban (SB 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
AHA's John Bailey and ALA's Michelle Marical all put in amateurish and simplistic written testimony on SB990: ACS' lobbying group also put some in.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/PHdata/T... Director, American Heart Association-TMY.PDF

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/PHdata/T... Director, American Heart Association-TMY.PDF

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/PHdata/T...merican Cancer Society Action Network-TMY.PDF

I am admittedly somewhat disappointed with the number of testimonies that were sent, but our public testimony likely made a big difference. The legislators seemed to respond well to my argument that the e-cigarette ban would never be enforced because people can stealth vape and business owners will remain unaware that the ban exists.

My oral testimony:

Good morning, my name is Gregory Conley, and I am here on behalf of the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association, known as CASAA. We are the leading US advocate that represents consumers of low-risk smoke-free alternatives to smoking, including vapor products, commonly referred to as electronic cigarettes. We are an all-volunteer organization, funded entirely by donations. I am here today to encourage you report unfavorably on Senate Bill 990.

When the Connecticut State Legislature enacted the Clean Indoor Air Act in 2003, the State relied on over a decade's worth of studies demonstrating the potential harm posed by secondhand smoke. Now, over a decade later, this committee is considering amending the state's definition of “smoking” to cover a product that does not create smoke. This move comes despite a complete lack of evidence showing that e-cigarette vapor poses a threat to public health. Bald assertions regarding the “unknowns” of e-cigarettes are belied by the science on the subject. Multiple studies have been conducted on e-cigarette vapor, including one funded by the National Institutes of Health and recently published in the top tobacco journal in the country, Tobacco Control. That study, which tested 13 different brands of e-cigarettes, found that the levels of chemicals in vapor products are up to 450 times less than those found in tobacco cigarettes.

One argument against public e-cigarette use is that because vapor products mimic the behavior of smoking, they will lead to smoking being normalized. This argument makes about as much sense as saying that the sight of people drinking Diet Coke normalizes the consumption of sugary beverages. On the contrary, e-cigarette use normalizes smoking cessation, as their use sends the message to smokers and nonsmokers that widespread cigarette smoking is a thing of the past.

Finally, I'd like to point out one fundamental problem with banning e-cigarette use - this policy will never be enforced. Currently three states ban e-cigarette use where smoking is banned. There is no record of a single citation being given for violation of these laws. However, coming from New Jersey, I can tell you with great confidence that this rule is routinely ignored. The public remains unaware that e-cigarette use is banned, and because e-cigarette vapor is inoffensive, business owners tend to have no issue with their use. Moreover, unlike cigarettes, users of vapor products can decide whether to release visible vapor. I'd like the panel to watch me right now. [pause, inhale, demonstrate stealth vaping] Did I just use my e-cigarette? Or did I simply hold a metal object up to my lips? If you cannot tell me if I used my e-cigarette, then how do you expect to enforce this law?

In closing, the use of vapor products poses no threat to bystanders, does not “normalize” smoking, and if enacted, will never be enforced. Therefore, CASAA urges you to report unfavorably on Senate Bill 990.

Last edited:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
We seem to be fighting bans, restrictions, taxation, etc ... state by state.
What I find curious is why Lorillard/Blu hasn't shown up with their Ivy League attorneys.
:confused:

Same reason RJ Reynolds is going state-to-state promoting a "save the children" campaign that includes banning internet sales and advertising? Blu has a massive brick-and-mortar presence and I assume Lorillard also sells stinkys. Both can afford to pay the FDA millions for the approval process for the multi-million-$$ tests the FDA will want to approve their product.

Gov't personnel don't have to be for sale, as long as companies can afford to hire people to do the talking and campaigning that we have to take time off work to do. But gov't agencies want money and a charter for their own growth and maintenance, in addition to attracting people with a lot of ideology. Play to both and you're in.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Lorillard/Blu has skin in the e-cigarette game ...
I would assume they would want to protect their market
by participating in the state by state fight.

On the other hand ...

Lorillard/Blu doesn't do anything that's not well thought out ...
So, I'm sure they have very good reasons for not going high profile
in the state by state fight.

It's obvious to me ...
Lorillard/Blu has already struck a deal with the FDA.
No way would they be sinking so much money into expanding their market
if they weren't confident about their position after the FDA regulates the industry.

Factor52

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2013
Connecticut
Ok... so I heard Greg Conley mention that Friday April 5th was the date for sb990 to move forward or to die in committee. Just tried to find out any info on the bill through the ct.gov website and through ct-n news cannot find any thing updated on the bill. Also scanned through the vids of the Public Health committee through April 5th to see if the bill came up for a vote on proceedings or any mention. It was not on the agenda listed for 4/05. Cant find anything.. Anyone else have any updates?

Im wondering if the bill just made a silent exit?

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Ok... so I heard Greg Conley mention that Friday April 5th was the date for sb990 to move forward or to die in committee. Just tried to find out any info on the bill through the ct.gov website and through ct-n news cannot find any thing updated on the bill. Also scanned through the vids of the Public Health committee through April 5th to see if the bill came up for a vote on proceedings or any mention. It was not on the agenda listed for 4/05. Cant find anything.. Anyone else have any updates?

Im wondering if the bill just made a silent exit?

Absent some extraordinary measure, it's dead. Connecticut residents should e-mail the members of the Committee to thank them, and then also e-mail Reps. Ziobron and Zoni to thank them for speaking out against SB990. Google them and if you like what they stand for, consider supporting them in their future campaigns in any way you can.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Absent some extraordinary measure, it's dead. Connecticut residents should e-mail the members of the Committee to thank them, and then also e-mail Reps. Ziobron and Zoni to thank them for speaking out against SB990. Google them and if you like what they stand for, consider supporting them in their future campaigns in any way you can.

Well, this means cracking open a celebratory beer!!!

Thank you for showing up to speak, it was great to see you work your craft that night. Time to start my thank you emails. I am just so happy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread