Georgia bill (SB 347) would ban the sale of “e-cigarettea” and “e-liquid “ to minors, require age verification by Internet vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I live in Atlanta and don't have a issue with age verification. That's just common sense.

I would have to see what verification system they are proposing before I could get behind any internet restrictions. If it's affordable to the business and convenient to the customers, then I could support that. I just don't think the technology is in place yet.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
The same bill, HB-251, is sitting in the house Juvenile Justice committee and has been since last year. Neither one has any co-sponsors so I'm hoping they will just die and have to be re-introduced in 2015. I've been watching the house bill and didn't know of the senate version, as of right now both committees have no meetings scheduled.

I'm pretty sure they won't move on anything like this in 2014 as the primaries were moved back this year and they can't raise contributions while in session. They all want to get home to collect campaign funds and anyone who is facing a primary challenge this year doesn't want to give the competition to much of a head start.

:D:vapor:

Tom Servo

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
United States
HB 251 doesn't appear to have the internet verification language. Otherwise, this about sums it up:

• Misdemeanor punishable by a $300 fine a for proprietor to sell to minors
  • Misdemeanor punishable by community service or attendance at a lecture for minors who buy
  • Shops will be required to post an "over 18" sign with specific language, reading "SALE OF CIGARETTES, TOBACCO, TOBACCO PRODUCTS, TOBACCO-RELATED OBJECTS, ALTERNATIVE NICOTINE PRODUCTS, OR VAPOR PRODUCTS TO PERSONS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE IS PROHIBITED BY LAW"
  • Prohibitions on vending machine placement
  • Provision for the state to conduct sting operations with under-18 buyers

This is probably as far as Georgia is going to go on the issue. I've spoken with a couple of senators and representatives about it, and they felt this was as far as anyone wanted to go.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
They passed this substitute bill which removed any reference to internet sales and in the definitions state that vapor products are not tobacco products.

From the signed bill: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/144960.pdf

42 ....................................The term 'tobacco product' shall not include any alternative
43 nicotine product, vapor product, or product regulated as a drug or device by the United
44 States Food and Drug Administration under Chapter V of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic
45 Act.

I think this is the first law that states this.

:2cool::vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread