CASAA Kentucky Call to Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
On Monday at 2 pm the House Judiciary Committee will take testimony (but not vote) on HB190. Rep. Stan Lee is on that committee, and I've been told that a couple e-cigarette supporters will show up to speak in opposition to the e-cigarette ban.

There are only approximately 10 working days left in the legislative session.

Appropriately enough, the e-cigarette supporters would not have found out about this if not for a post on the Facebook wall of Smoke-Free Kentucky (not to be confused with Ellen Hahn's organization).

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The Judiciary Cmte hearing on HB 190 is on the KY legislative calendar
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislative_calendar/index.aspx

Since smoking is the most contraversial aspect of HB 190, there will be anti smoking activists testifying in support of HB 190, and tavern owners testifying against HB 190.

In most states, Chairs of Legislative committees (and/or their committee staff) typically allow interested parties to submit written testimony (if you cannot testify in person at the hearing), which they then send to all members of the committee.

Would be a good idea to contact Jon Grate (House Judiciary Committee staff) on Monday AM and ask if the Judiciary Committee Chair (his boss) will accept written testimony on HB 190, who to send it to (which will probably be Grate himself, but we'll need his e-mail address).
Committee Staff

Can't find a phone number or e-mail for Jon Grate, but he may be at the same office as his boss (Judiciary Cmte Chair John Tilley)
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Legislator/H008.htm

If the Cmte allows written testimony, I strongly suspect Ellen Hahn (and the KY tavern association) have been and/or will be trying to generate lots of written testimony for and against HB 190.

That's why we need to find out Monday AM if the Cmte accepts written testimony, as I'll be pleased to submit testimony (and CASAA and KY vapers might do so as well) urging support for Stan Lee's amendment.

We may not be able to generate as much testimony in support of Lee's amendment (as Hahn generates in support of HB 190), but we might be able to convince the Judiciary Cmte members to remove e-cigs from the bill.

If the Judiciary Committee wont' accept written testimony on HB 190 from interested parties, then we'll need to get the e-mails of all Judiciary Cmte members (which we'll need to do anyhow) to send them direct e-mails (urging support for Stan Lee's amendment to HB 190).

Home page of Judiciary Cmte
Committee Home
Judiciary Cmte members
Committee Members

Last edited:

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Full list for the Kentucky Judiciary Committee.

Please send an e-mail in support of Rep. Stan Lee's amendment to HB190 to remove e-cigarettes.

Representative John Tilley (D) Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 658
John.Tilley@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Joseph M. Fischer (R) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 742
Annex: Joe.Fischer@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Darryl T. Owens (D) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 685
Darryl.Owens@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Ryan Quarles (R) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 671
Ryan.Quarles@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Brent Yonts (D) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 686
Work: (270) 338-0816
Work: (270) 338-1639 (fax)
Brent.Yonts@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Johnny Bell (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 688
Work: (270) 651-7005
Johnny.Bell@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Robert Benvenuti III (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 628
Robert.Benvenuti@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Jesse Crenshaw (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 620
Jesse.Crenshaw@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Kelly Flood (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 675
Kelly.Flood@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Jeff Hoover (R)
Annex: (502) 564-0521
Jeff.Hoover@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Joni L. Jenkins (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 692
Joni.Jenkins@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Thomas Kerr (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 694
Thomas.Kerr@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Stan Lee (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 698
Stan.Lee@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Mary Lou Marzian (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 643
MaryLou.Marzian@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Reginald Meeks (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 653
Reginald.Meeks@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Tom Riner (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 606
Tom.Riner@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Steven Rudy (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 637
Steven.Rudy@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Kevin Sinnette (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 703
Kevin.Sinnette@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Kenneth Upchurch (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 784
Ken.Upchurch@lrc.ky.gov

Representative Gerald Watkins (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 634
Gerald.Watkins@lrc.ky.gov

Comma delimited list:
john.tilley@lrc.ky.gov, joe.fischer@lrc.ky.gov, darryl.owens@lrc.ky.gov, ryan.quarles@lrc.ky.gov, brent.yonts@lrc.ky.gov, johnny.bell@lrc.ky.gov, robert.benvenuti@lrc.ky.gov, jesse.crenshaw@lrc.ky.gov, kelly.flood@lrc.ky.gov, jeff.hoover@lrc.ky.gov, joni.jenkins@lrc.ky.gov, thomas.kerr@lrc.ky.gov, stan.lee@lrc.ky.gov, marylou.marzian@lrc.ky.gov, reginald.meeks@lrc.ky.gov, tom.riner@lrc.ky.gov, steven.rudy@lrc.ky.gov, kevin.sinnette@lrc.ky.gov, ken.upchurch@lrc.ky.gov, gerald.watkins@lrc.ky.gov

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Rep. Lee,

Thank you for your efforts towards the interests of Kentucky electronic cigarette users.

It is important for the Judiciary Committee and legislators to understand the both the nature of electronic cigarettes and the makeup of liquids utilized and vapor produced.

An important factor in my moving away from smoking is the marginalization of smokers in society. We cannot afford to do the same to those who take up safer and inoffensive alternatives.

Again, thank you for your continuing efforts,
signature

cc: Rep. Ruth Ann Palumbo

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
No Westrom interview apparently... She ducked out. They did an impromptu interview with Amy Barkley (regional commissioner for public health). It wasn't great, and she spewed all kinds of lies unchecked, but "off the record" admitted ecigs were better than smoking, but that she couldn't endorse it due to "enforcement issues," and wanted to wait until "all the science was in." I wish ECA would have been more direct with her, and pressed her on the science that IS out there that supports our position. I did speak to Abby, They were very nervous being only 4 out of hundreds who showed up today in favor of ecigs, and most wouldn't give them the time of day. She also stated that one particular representative on the panel asked specifically about ecigs. They are trying to track him down now.

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Just posted to the CASAA Facebook page from my wife: "I have a friend who is a KY representative and was listening in. He said this is most likely going to die. He said the system doesn't have time for this bill and it went before judiciary because they know it will die. This is hear say but from a pretty reliable source. We will see the official statement soon."

Paulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Florida
Just posted to the CASAA Facebook page from my wife: "I have a friend who is a KY representative and was listening in. He said this is most likely going to die. He said the system doesn't have time for this bill and it went before judiciary because they know it will die. This is hear say but from a pretty reliable source. We will see the official statement soon."

Appreciate all the updates!

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
Don't give these Big Phrma front group lobbyists people more control of you than they think they already have. Instead of opposing the meaningless bans, encourage them to pass more bans that we can violate.

In NJ, they already passed this nonsense. So what?

It's meaningless. I can still vape in my office. I look like Don Draper with the cloud of white vapor. Good luck enforcing this. It's odorless.

They are not going to coerce people to buy gums and lozenges with these bans.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Don't give these Big Phrma front group lobbyists people more control of you than they think they already have. Instead of opposing the meaningless bans, encourage them to pass more bans that we can violate.

In NJ, they already passed this nonsense. So what?

It's meaningless. I can still vape in my office. I look like Don Draper with the cloud of white vapor. Good luck enforcing this. It's odorless.

They are not going to coerce people to buy gums and lozenges with these bans.
Here's the way I look at it...

These bans on vaping in public places are going to slow down the rate at which smokers convert to vaping.
That's kind of like kicking us repeatedly in the shins.

And the fewer smokers that convert, the fewer people we will have to stop them...
When they start hitting us in the head with baseball bats.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Just because you can't exhale a cloud of vapor at a diner doesn't mean you can't vape at a diner.
I vape everywhere, all the time, in the open wherever they will allow it.
But if not, I will be vaping anyway, and nobody will ever stop me because nobody ever knows.

I vape in restaurants, movie theaters, plays, sporting events, and airplanes.
About the only place I haven't vaped is Church.

But that doesn't change the point I was trying to make in my previous post.
:)

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
I've vaped in church. Didn't exhale the vapor out of respect in the catholic church. Although I am Orthodox and grew up with burning incense.:)

Jesus and God have a sense of humor. What happens to the big pharma and non profit anti smoking groups should be pretty funny. When the federal money stops they will have to get a real job. McDonalds is hiring.

See Spitzer, Elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread